Not able to note hearing and feeling at same time due to visualization

Matt N, modified 11 Years ago at 5/14/12 10:11 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/14/12 10:03 AM

Not able to note hearing and feeling at same time due to visualization

So awhile ago as I got a lot better with noting sensations, I stopped verbally noting in my mind as too much was going on at once and tried to shift to noting all sensations happening at once without specifically "stating" them in mental chatter.

I've found that before I couldn't note seeing and visualizing at the same time as the attention would either seem to focus on what my minds eye was imagining or the strict blackness I was seeing at the back of my eyes, but not both. Now I'm able to note both happening at once without losing one or the other.

If I'm focusing on bodily feeling, I'm able to note all at once the aspect of seeing the blackness of my eyes, the visualization of my body in my minds eye, and the grossest general sensations of my body.

So I basically try to continuously note all 3 of these things at once. What I've found is that this seems to be close to the limit of what my mind can hold onto. The only way it gets interrupted is when I fail to note mental self talking and distinguish it as an overlay of "hearing" in the same way I note my visualizations as a subtle simultaneous overlay of "seeing". Visual versions of thought cannot interrupt as I am constantly aware moment to moment of whats going on in my minds eye.

If I focus on sound however I can easily distinguish the mental chatter as a simultaneous overlay of "hearing" while my mind also notes the seeing of the blackness of my eyelids and the mental overlay of visualizing what I'm hearing all at the same time. I have a tendency to visualize what I'm hearing whenever I focus on hearing as well, so I'm able to continously note 4 things when I focus on hearing: The literal and mental overlays(visualization) of "seeing" and the literal and internall chatter of "hearing". This is harder than continuously noting the 3 aspects before.

I am trying to reconsile hearing and feeling and create a sort of total constant awareness/noting of everything, but I can't seem to focus on either without their specific visualizations arising in my minds eye, and I can't visualize two things at once and it generally sort of collapses.

I feel if I can continuously note all 5 of these things simultaneously moment to moment, then I am basically completely aware at all times and can't get pulled any way by thoughts as I'd be aware of all visual/auditory forms of them as well as the bare sensations. (barring smell and taste, which are sort of minor, may try to include them later)

Thoughts?

Breadcrumb