Experiences with Mantra meditation?

thumbnail
Brian K, modified 11 Years ago at 6/6/12 9:19 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 6/6/12 9:19 PM

Experiences with Mantra meditation?

I've been reading a bit about yoga practices lately, and one of the things i came across was using mantras to build concentration that i dont see alot of in buddhist teachings or around this forum or anything. Any experience with this? How does it compare to using, like the breath as a concentration object? Maybe a source if anyone has it where i can read about it?
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 11 Years ago at 6/7/12 4:07 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 6/7/12 4:07 PM

RE: Experiences with Mantra meditation?

I did quite a lot of experimentation with mantras a few years ago, it's an effective way to build concentration and is flexible enough to do both on and off the cushion. I don't know of any specific sources I can recommend online, but I did find "The Chakra & Kundalini Workbook" by Dr. Jon Mumford to be full of useful techniques for this style of practice; Daniel Ingram also talks a bit about using mantras in "Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha" and explains some of the phenomenological details involved; Aleister Crowley also gives some good advice in "Book 4" about different types of mantra so it's worth casting a wide net.

Personally, I found that more complex, multisyllabic mantras, such as "Aum Mani Padme Hum" to be more effective for maintaining focus than monosyllabic ones like the typical "Aum". Also, be careful of a lot of the New Age crap you'll find all over the place about mantras, most of the articles or books I've read from that particular community have been devoid of any real insight and aren't worth the effort.
thumbnail
Brian K, modified 11 Years ago at 6/7/12 6:12 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 6/7/12 6:12 PM

cool man, thanks alot! I think im gonna experiment a bit with em. Appreciate the feedback
Change A, modified 11 Years ago at 6/7/12 10:01 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 6/7/12 10:01 PM

You may try this Om Ah Hum breathing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwZsEBB_LWw
thumbnail
Peter Plan, modified 11 Years ago at 7/7/12 9:56 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/7/12 9:56 AM

The ACEM International organisation promotes mantra meditation. They claim that (their) mantra meditation technique leads to relaxation faster than "other" forms of (concentration) meditation. What I have seen in my personal ACEM experience is that they are genuine people who focus on their method, but don't have so much focus on "enligthenment".

They stress (haha!) that you should take on your mantra calmly when you have lost it.
thumbnail
Coyote, modified 11 Years ago at 7/7/12 3:56 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/7/12 3:56 PM

It took me nearly a year to decide on a mantra to use--five single syllable words with personal significance. It seemed prudent to make sure it was something meaningful before tattooing it onto my consciousness...

I use it for counting breaths in asanas and often combine it with walking meditation--I mentally say each word to mark the moment my foot touches the ground. And for repetitive, rhythmic activities. For example, today I gathered up the piles of loose change around the house and put it into a piggy bank with a digital coin counter (my husband and I use it as a date night dinner fund). One word per coin insertion. It is a nice way of setting intention. And yet another technique for turning everyday activities into meditative exercises beyond simply focusing on bare sensory data.

Never really tried it during sitting meditation--usually just stick with the breath.

Breadcrumb