Brick and Mortar Pragmatic Dharma

Jason , modified 11 Years ago at 6/11/12 2:06 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 6/11/12 2:06 PM

Brick and Mortar Pragmatic Dharma

Picking up on a thread within another discussion at KFD , what do people have to say about the possibility of pragmatic dharma communities in the real world?

I'm thinking of a round-table approach with a DIY flavor. Just a space and a time for practice and community to take place in the same spirit it does for people who post here. Also, it would be a chance for people totally new to meditation to have access to our kind of practice without coming the long way around as most of us have.

I have a workspace that would fit the bill during off hours for a small group, and the idea occurs to me sometimes that this might work. Also, I sometimes think I "should" go down to the Zen center, or the Lamrim classes, but... meh. I dunno.

Any relevant experiences, thoughts, warnings, admonitions, and ideas welcome. This is an idea in the nascent stages. I might mull it over a year or two.
Jason , modified 11 Years ago at 6/12/12 7:53 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 6/12/12 7:53 PM

RE: Brick and Mortar Pragmatic Dharma

I suppose the absence of information is itself information.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 11 Years ago at 6/12/12 8:12 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 6/12/12 8:12 PM

I like the idea, I've been thinking about how to go about implementing it over the last year or so, but I don't know that there's anywhere near enough interest in hardcore practice, particularly not in my area, to make it a feasible project to pursue. I do think it would, or at least could, work and it'd be interesting to see what happens with the idea.
Jason , modified 11 Years ago at 6/13/12 7:16 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 6/13/12 7:16 AM

Tommy M:
I like the idea, I've been thinking about how to go about implementing it over the last year or so, but I don't know that there's anywhere near enough interest in hardcore practice, particularly not in my area, to make it a feasible project to pursue.

Yeah, I'm more skeptical after reading recent threads about the gap between prgmatic dharma and other meditators and Buddhists. I didn't realize how much controversy there was. Maybe my reclusive instincts are the better ones.

Breadcrumb