Survey about experience

End in Sight, modified 11 Years ago at 7/31/12 3:15 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/31/12 3:15 PM

Survey about experience

When you experience a thought or intention, do you also experience a vibratory sensation or feeling in your body which is related to the thought or volition (or which is identical to the thought or volition)?

When you experience a vibratory sensation or feeling in your body, do you also experience a thought or volition which is related to the vibratory sensation or feeling (or which is identical to the vibratory sensation or feeling)?

I've recently come to realize that, in my experience, it seems that every thought or volition has a vibratory embodied component, however subtle, and every vibratory body experience (right down to all the microscopic tingles that may occur from time to time) has a gross cognitive (or perhaps most accurately, volitional) component. I would say that can I notice approximately 20-50 bits of cognition per second if I stop typing to observe for a moment, though it's hard to quantify this because it depends on how granular one's way of measuring cognitive experience is, and the appropriate granularity seems to change depending on how focused my mind is.

If many people have a similar experience, I could post about some things I've found out which might be useful. And if many people have a similar experience but have never noticed it fully before, some vipassana aimed at this might be highly illuminating and beneficial.

So, please post your observations concerning your experience.
Change A, modified 11 Years ago at 8/4/12 2:15 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/31/12 4:28 PM

RE: Survey about experience

End in Sight:
I've recently come to realize that, in my experience, it seems that every thought or volition has a vibratory embodied component, however subtle, and every vibratory body experience (right down to all the microscopic tingles that may occur from time to time) has a gross cognitive (or perhaps most accurately, volitional) component. I would say that can I notice approximately 20-50 bits of cognition per second if I stop typing to observe for a moment, though it's hard to quantify this because it depends on how granular one's way of measuring cognitive experience is, and the appropriate granularity seems to change depending on how focused my mind is.

I came to the same realization as yours some time ago but didn't try to quantify how many bits of cognition per second were happening.
End in Sight, modified 11 Years ago at 8/1/12 9:01 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/1/12 9:01 AM

Thanks, Aman.
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 11 Years ago at 8/1/12 12:06 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/1/12 12:03 PM

Actually, I notice that there are vibrations associated with thoughts and cognitions. I don't always notice a thought or volition associated with the vibrations, or see the vibrations as thoughts or volitions.

Also I couldn't count the frequency up to that high in my daily practice as it stands.

I am interested in whatever you have to say about it.
Change A, modified 11 Years ago at 8/1/12 12:20 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/1/12 12:20 PM

Bruno Loff:
I don't always notice a thought or volition associated with the vibrations, or see the vibrations as thoughts or volitions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2078988/Take-care-sales-Carrying-heavy-bags-cause-shoppers-stress-researchers-find.html

The link between 'vibrations' and thought or volition is not easy to see but it is there. Would there be any thoughts that will be triggered if you get pricked by something sharp or get hurt by something? I think your answer will be yes. This is a very crude example but this is true for very fine 'vibrations' even finer than lifting a heavy shopping bag causing stress.
Change A, modified 11 Years ago at 8/1/12 2:27 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/1/12 2:27 PM

End in Sight:
If many people have a similar experience, I could post about some things I've found out which might be useful.

Whether or not many people post their experience, I'm interested in reading about the things you have found out. I will be thankful if you post them.
End in Sight, modified 11 Years ago at 8/2/12 3:24 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/2/12 3:24 PM

OK, I'll post something in a number of days.
Change A, modified 11 Years ago at 8/4/12 1:12 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/4/12 1:10 PM

Ok, I will add some of my thoughts about it as well.

It was after this realization that "union of body and mind" talked about by yoga teachers started to make sense to me and I mentioned about it at DhO in some of the threads.

Most subtle mind states have an effect on body and most subtle body 'vibrations' have an effect on mind (talking in a conventional sense). When there is 'union' of body and mind, mind is in the whole body and whole body is in the mind (talking about when there is union of body and mind).

I think this realization can be very helpful because when mind tries to find out the causes of suffering, if it is just the 'vibrations' that have caused suffering in the mind, then it won't be able to find it and this itself causes more suffering. (How many minds can see the link between lifting heavy shopping bags and stress?)
Change A, modified 11 Years ago at 8/11/12 2:52 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/5/12 6:56 PM

It is the gross sensations in the body that stop mind to go to every inch of the body. Also the gross mind states stop the full body to be in the mind. So I think a practice should have components which include techniques that take care of both the gross physical sensations and gross mind states. Yoga (or other physical practices such as stretching, mindful stretching) can help greatly with the gross physical sensations directly and gross mind states indirectly. Meditation can help with the gross mind states directly and gross physical sensations indirectly. Kum nye has both these components built into it and one is supposed to directly engage with the 'energy' or the emotional aspect of the mind/body.

Breadcrumb