Bad person

thumbnail
James Yen, modified 11 Years ago at 8/3/12 4:19 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/3/12 4:19 PM

Bad person

I'm sorry I'm a bad person. I deleted my posts.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 8/3/12 5:23 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/3/12 5:11 PM

RE: Bad person

James Yen:

Hi james,

Do you know of the boy who cried wolf?

I'm not saying you have lied. I'm pointing to the fact you present the same pattern of behaviour every time you come here and one starts to think that James is going to say the following and never take him seriously again;

1/ something against the DhO participants related to your understanding of Buddhism.
2/ start a journal on some practice you claim to be putting into action
3/ Post another thread saying 'I lied' or 'I'm a bad person'. (as a moderator i've deleted at least two of these types of threads of yours in the past as it was clear you were having fun trolling for attention.)

I'll leave this one here for posterity. I do hope you deal with this sequence of behaviour and truly make headway with your actualist practice, that is if you weren't crying wolf again. Your posts on suttas have been appreciated by some here. I hope you stick with what actually helps dismantle all the supports for the social identity and all its unsatisfactory conditioning enough to be happy human being.

Nick
Adam , modified 11 Years ago at 8/4/12 4:09 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/4/12 4:08 AM

James Yen:

James I reccommend that if you are really, actually serious about practicing you take a break from the dho for like a month and come back with any actual questions you have
Adam , modified 11 Years ago at 8/4/12 12:05 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/4/12 11:59 AM

Also, i'd point out that the cycle of behavior nick mentioned isnt unique to you. There are a few other examples of people, myself for one, perhaps a guy named "simon" and a different "adam" who have gone through a similar thing with dishonesty and excitement and obnoxiousness and insincerity and bloated ego, followed up by general misery. sounds a lot like a&p followed by dark night, right? My personal theory is that this is what happens when younger people (I'm about to turn 19, started when i was just 17, i think you're 19) try and make it through the cycle of insight without a singular clear teacher, school, or method, lots of bouncing around from technique to technique, lots of shifting identities which are taken to be very real, all compounded by the anonymity of the internet, taking other people as just objects in one's world. This is just immaturity imo, here is something katy said to me in one of my threads, if you want to read it, the cycle from half-trolling to remorse is clear... especially if you look at the millions of absurd threads I started around that time as context. : )

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/1913637

Adam - first, this I could never have purely wanted anatta/af/extirpation when it was younger. I had a head for "What next? Where to?", excitement for creating its existence. It was natural self-enrichment (versus the sometimes pejorative "self-absorption") after years of identity-building by a household/community.

This is imo the real motivation that started my practice. What identity next? I couldn't start dressing up and following around a heavy metal band because it was too cliche, I chose instead to find a "final solution" and try to become enlightened. This is a classic sign of what Erik Erikson called the identity crisis, when one has trouble finding "ego" during adolescence. Trying to go no-selfing when you don't have a clear self can cause issues.

Am I still just doing this out of identity crisis? It's definitely a factor, I have matured via lots of confusion and suffering and I have been slowly developing a taste for freedom. It's finally started to pay off as I've begun dropping off pieces of suffering. What is the proper course of action then? I don't really know but I thought this might help you, maybe the best thing would be to forget about no-self and enlightenment and just do concentration, thinking of it as a stress reducer.

I caused lots of problems for myself, I dropped lots of extra-curricular things in school including a sport I was planning to play in college which had been really important to me before and my grades suffered... Everyone has their own story of high school, and there are worse identities to take on, but immaturity + insight practice/AF practice can be rough. At the same time this doesn't really seem to be a sound excuse, I was fully aware of what I was doing, you were fully aware of what you were doing, it just seems that other people don't matter but everything related to you is still very very real.