Mahasi retreats in Europe?

thumbnail
N A, modified 11 Years ago at 8/18/12 12:35 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/18/12 12:14 PM

Mahasi retreats in Europe?

I'm planning to go to Europe on vacation; can anyone recommend Mahasi or similar vipassana centers (except Goenka) in the vicinity?

Edit: I mean an English-speaking one of course. Somehow I totally forgot they speak multiple languages in Europe. Are there any outside the UK?
thumbnail
Phantom of the Opera, modified 11 Years ago at 8/18/12 3:58 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/18/12 3:57 PM

RE: Mahasi retreats in Europe?

In France, I only know of two permanent centers that give vipassana retreats in English:
- Martin Aylward's Moulin de Chaves. He's got a collection of dharma talks online. Never been there.
- A Mahasi trained theravadin nun living in a flat in the suburbs of Paris. I'm pretty sure she speaks some English. The accomodation is simple: the living room has been turned into a meditation hall, which also serves as dormitory at night (two or three flat cushions make up your bed). Daily interview with her. Reluctant to talk about maps. Daily dharma talks of Burmese masters played from a CD player (in English, translated into French). Some sutta chanting. Home made vegetarian food. PM me if you want to know more.
- Other than that, retreats are occasionally led by English speaking teachers (Christopher Titmus, Stephen Batchelor and other western vipassana teachers, Forest monks whose names I can never remember...) Terre d'Eveil lists some of them.

- See also Vimalakirti center in Geneva, Switzerland
nicolas C, modified 11 Years ago at 8/19/12 1:33 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/19/12 1:33 PM

You have an excellent center in belgium,
http://www.dhammagroupbrussels.be/retraitesen.html,
I've been there a couple of times, the place is very nice, the woman taking care of it is humble yet an accomplished practitioner, she did 15 times the 3 months retreat in burma. Usually for the longer retreats she always invites a monk to teach and guide students. Let me know if you want to know more about it.

Phantom of the opera, from your answer i understand that you may be living in France, even better maybe in paris. It could be nice to meet each other and share our experiences.
thumbnail
Phantom of the Opera, modified 11 Years ago at 8/22/12 3:31 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/22/12 3:31 PM

nicolas chabolle:
Phantom of the opera, from your answer i understand that you may be living in France, even better maybe in paris. It could be nice to meet each other and share our experiences.

Sure :-) I've sent you a PM.
L O, modified 11 Years ago at 8/24/12 2:28 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/24/12 2:28 AM

I'm considering going to Dhammacari Vipassana Meditationzentrum in the south of Germany at some point. There is a review in the DhO wiki and it was recommended to me by AndyW, who is active here and on KFD. The teacher speaks English it seems.

Breadcrumb