Noting/Exploring the lights

thumbnail
PP, modified 11 Years ago at 8/23/12 5:15 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/23/12 5:15 PM

Noting/Exploring the lights

Hi,

Up to now I've been doing mostly concentration practices: candle flame, kasina, breath and lately metta a la Bhante Vimalaramsi. I believe I have access 2nd jhana in a very lite way, because of consecutive cuts in mind wandering and deep silence, with eyes changing position as Kenneth Folks explains. The thing is that those cuts where preceded by something similar to TV snow, usually a little higher of the visual field. So, I was interested in those fenomena and explore the lights. Before, I've never put attention on them. By focusing in the lights, it started to happen that they were decomposed into vibrating "fibers" and thought that this could be some sort of vipassana.

The question is, can I and should I try to do noting with this vibrating fibers, much like Daniel Ingram says in MCTB about noting tinglings in a single spot? Any other way I should note? Forget all about it and go back to sensations?

Thanks in advance!

Pablo
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 8/24/12 1:06 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/24/12 1:06 AM

RE: Noting/Exploring the lights

How wide do the fibers spread in the visual field?

Do they start going around to the sides and top and bottom?

Do they curve inward towards you?

Do they form images of anything?

Are any of those images 3D?

Daniel
thumbnail
PP, modified 11 Years ago at 8/24/12 5:25 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/24/12 1:19 PM

Thanks for your interest.

The fibers usually start at the center of the visual field, then became like the walls of a wormhole, that gets broader in time or in successive episodes, but the wormhole never fills the whole field. Then I briefly see a patch of packed lights, with narrower distance between them, like tiny pixels together. This is seen always at the periphery of the visual field.

After that I access some lite jhana. Sometime later, the fibers re-enter the scene, filling the whole visual field. But the view is quite chaotic! There are fibers travelling, bubbles within bubbles, whirls of lights. It's a 3D image, but there's not much contrast between the front and the back. It's different from other 3D I've seen (waking up from OBEs, or energetic stuff), where these lights&fibers go towards me and forming either some abstract figures (cubes,etc) or organic ones (moving tentacles of an octopus seen from below, not a threaten view though, just inexplicable), [added] or simply seeing unknown people in they daily activities (no story being told).

Pablo
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 9/30/12 10:42 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/30/12 10:42 PM

Ok, next question:

Can you manipulate or script or pre-program any of what happens, say at the beginning before you go in?

If so: read the section in MCTB on the Three Doors and see if you can get anything like any of those to occur, or the second phase of any standard tantric visualization text in which you merge with the divine thing you have seen.