How to stay mindful/noticing 24/7? How to do it on an intellectual job?

thumbnail
Nick P, modified 11 Years ago at 9/2/12 9:39 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/2/12 9:39 AM

How to stay mindful/noticing 24/7? How to do it on an intellectual job?

Hi,
I've been meditating for about half a year, and think I'm somewhere in EQ now. I'm going for stream entry, sittings are getting more insightful as the practice progresses and I feel the equanimity and its calm bliss permeating my daily life.

I'd like to ask the more advanced practitioners for some tips to keep the mindfulness 24/7. I've tried noting a couple times but it doesn't seem to click with me, so I opted for its quieter counterpart "noticing", i.e. instead of thinking the word associated to an event like "rising", "walking", "angry", I just become wordlessly and consciously aware of the event. Whatever the technique, trying to apply it 24/7 is a lot of effort and I'm veeeery far from keeping it, even 10 continuous minutes, off cushion, is quite hard to attain.

Another point: I have a full time job where I need to think a lot, write code, have meetings, design software, etc. When I try to stay mindful of what I'm doing in front of the computer, my productivity decreases a lot, as I spend more energy on the watcher and less on the doer/thinker. I take advice on how to reconcile those two mind roles.
What equanimity and bliss permeate is my interactions with other people, or the way I look at the world when I'm walking down the street. But when it comes to think complex conceptual stuff alone in front of the screen (which is a big chunk of my day, and which I love doing, btw), I'm the same guy I was before starting my practice, and incorporating the practice to that part of the job seems to make things worse, not better.

Thanks
thumbnail
Shashank Dixit, modified 11 Years ago at 9/2/12 11:48 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/2/12 11:45 AM

RE: How to stay mindful/noticing 24/7? How to do it on an intellectual job?

Nick P:

I have a full time job where I need to think a lot, write code, have meetings, design software, etc. When I try to stay mindful of what I'm doing in front of the computer, my productivity decreases a lot, as I spend more energy on the watcher and less on the doer/thinker. I take advice on how to reconcile those two mind roles.
What equanimity and bliss permeate is my interactions with other people, or the way I look at the world when I'm walking down the street. But when it comes to think complex conceptual stuff alone in front of the screen (which is a big chunk of my day, and which I love doing, btw), I'm the same guy I was before starting my practice, and incorporating the practice to that part of the job seems to make things worse, not better.

Thanks

I can relate to this. I am also a coder and that involves complex thinking and deadlines(that can in turn induce stress).
I also did not know at that time how to incorporate noting with such a tech job.
but I had managed to get stream entry by non-stop noting whenever it was sensible to note , which means when there is nothing
pressing to attend to(like talking to colleagues/thinking about a problem). Apart from that, I found that generally while interacting with colleagues/people its best to follow the 5 precepts - especially the one for Speech.
I never talked about all this with my colleagues.
Do you have travel time by bus/car/train to office ? (I used to note the hell out of all sounds while in train)
Forgetting to note was common for me while working - sometimes for hours..don't fret on this one - just resume noting when you remember to.
The key thing that will work is continuity whenever you can and it all adds up even if it doesn't look like so many times.

Hope this helps , cheers
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 9/2/12 11:51 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/2/12 11:51 AM

RE: How to stay mindful/noticing 24/7? How to do it on an intellectual job?

The purpose of noting is the see the 3 characteristics and to FEEL your mental attachment in your head towards having more of what you like and pushing away what you dislike and then letting go to no object and getting relief. Most mental talk is in one form or another clinging related to likes and dislikes. When you develop enough dispassion then normal thoughts related to work can continue as they always have. If your brain is in EQ there should be less interruptions in your work flow so the problem becomes irrelevant. Just work like you normally do.

Letting go of noting and just being with all the natural senses is good for much of the time but you can't block out natural thoughts. It's a trick of not adding to automatic thoughts but not suppressing them like in concentration practice. I used to ask the same questions here but once I got to EQ I pretty much answered them. When I go to work it's just more of the present moment. The mental strain to meet deadlines is still stressful but it's much less stressful than before because with meditation I feel like it's okay to accept failure and imperfection (including death) so what drama that could happen at work will just be more negative reactivity arising and passing away. You need to be prepared to let go of everything you hold dear so you can ironically save energy to pursue those exact same goals you had before. If I have a strong desire to self reference to reinforce a conditioned ego (which is a form of insecurity) then I'm wasting energy that could be applied to the task at hand.

You seem to be on the right path if you've actually hit EQ (meaning you have gotten through the dark night) and I think that paying attention with quieter noting or no noting can allow thoughts in and work is just that. I find that the location of the "self" behind the eyes is also conceptual and there's still some clinging so I'll keep harping on these practices which help smooth out the "I gotta get to equanimity" tension.

Shinzen Young - Return to the source

Good luck with your practice!

Breadcrumb