The Bahiya Sutta

Adam , modified 11 Years ago at 9/3/12 10:28 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/3/12 10:28 AM

The Bahiya Sutta

There has been some talk lately of wrong interpretations of the bahiya sutta. When the sutta says something like: "in reference to the seeing there is only the seen" does that mean that there are no concepts attached to the seeing? Does it mean that there is no sense of someone who sees the seen? Does it mean that there is no other sense-world to compare this sense-world to, i.e. that there is no good/bad - only that which exists?

In my own practice I try to pay attention such that it seems that there is nothing other than sensations arising and ceasing moment by moment, which includes all 3 interpretations. Practically this is the same as asking HAIETMOBA wordlessly, paying attention to all of experience at once.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 9/3/12 2:24 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/3/12 2:18 PM

RE: The Bahiya Sutta

Adam . .:
There has been some talk lately of wrong interpretations of the bahiya sutta. When the sutta says something like: "in reference to the seeing there is only the seen" does that mean that there are no concepts attached to the seeing? Does it mean that there is no sense of someone who sees the seen? Does it mean that there is no other sense-world to compare this sense-world to, i.e. that there is no good/bad - only that which exists?

In my own practice I try to pay attention such that it seems that there is nothing other than sensations arising and ceasing moment by moment, which includes all 3 interpretations. Practically this is the same as asking HAIETMOBA wordlessly, paying attention to all of experience at once.

Id say the translation that fuels your query may be off:

Thanissaro's and John Ireland's translation of the passage in question (quotes from access to insight):

diṭṭhe diṭṭhamattaṃ bhavissati, sute sutamattaṃ bhavissati, mute mutamattaṃ bhavissati, viññāte viññātamattaṃ bhavissati

Thanissaro Bhikkhu:
'In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized.'

John Ireland:
'In the seen will be merely what is seen; in the heard will be merely what is heard; in the sensed will be merely what is sensed; in the cognized will be merely what is cognized.'

I see possible practice and experiential differences between 'in the seeing, only the seen' VS 'In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen' or 'In the seen will be merely what is seen '. I've heard others argue the former translation can lead to an eternally disembedded/equanimous witness like experience and have experienced this myself, whereas the latter avoids this completely. There is just seen, no seeing in seen, just seen. It may depend on how one reads and interpretes it.

Seeing + seen = ?
Just the seen=just the seen

There is no experience of 'seer' nor 'seeing' nor concepts of 'seeing'. It's just the seen. There is no sense of 'me-ness' whatsoever, simply the experience of the seen, no mental overlays, just the seen, no attention bounce from some airy fairy 'selfing' experience to object, just the seen, no attention wave flickering, only the seen, sensed, heard and cognised.

My 2 cents.
Adam , modified 11 Years ago at 9/3/12 5:06 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/3/12 5:06 PM

I see possible practice and experiential differences between 'in the seeing, only the seen' VS 'In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen' or 'In the seen will be merely what is seen '. I've heard others argue the former translation can lead to an eternally disembedded/equanimous witness like experience and have experienced this myself, whereas the latter avoids this completely.

I don't quite get this, can you talk more about the former translation's shortcomings and your experience with eternally disembedded/equanimous witness?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 9/3/12 5:22 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/3/12 5:18 PM

It may depend on how one interprets the experience to fit the translation.

Is there a sense of 'seeing'? What is seeing? What is a 'sense of seeing'? Is it apart from 'just the seen'? Or is it overlaying ' the seen'? Is there a subtle bounce of attention going on? And a sense of 'seen', is it truly just the 'seen'? Are they seemingly melded together, the seeing (in), the seen? Are they truly one and the same? The intepretation may lead to some sublte cutlivation of that witness like experience. It may not. It depends on how you interpret 'seeing' and 'seen' and what that means. To me, in seems it could trip a mind into fabricating a sense of 'seeing' along with 'the seen' as opposed to simply the experience of 'just the seen'. No seeing, no seer, just the seen.

Whereas the other translation 'in reference to the seen, just the seen' there is just the seen. No way of getting caught up in some witness like state. Just the seen, very clear and avoids any potential traps. If the experience is of the seen, but something esle, some mental movement or judgement or holding or giving weight to some aspect of experience(i.e. the seen, heard, cognised, sensed), fabricating a sense of 'seeing' via giving weight to some process of the eye , then it isn't 'in referecne to the seen, only the seen'.
Adam , modified 11 Years ago at 9/3/12 6:09 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/3/12 6:08 PM

Perhaps I am stumbling here due to conflating your recent commentary on the bahiya sutta with your last blog post and the mention you made of thanissaro bhikku's "right mindfulness."

He criticizes bhante g's 'bare attention' in lots of ways and seems to imply that such an equanimous watcher type thing would be created through his methods. It seems to me though that when i non-judgementally observe i am practicing right effort, right concentration, and right mindfulness. I am being non-judgemental - no desire or aversion (right effort) I am watching, minimizing distraction by "coming back" over and over (right concentration) and I am remembering to do it all (right mindfulness.) Thus bhante G calling it mindfulness is just a linguistic issue.

Then again, maybe I am wrong, is this what you meant by "staring at the senses" in your last blog post (which you implied wouldn't lead to liberation in itself)?

When i do the bare attention thing it is clearly liberating, there is just a flow of consciousness, just that, nothing else. Non-judgement seems to basically be the same as not fabricating a self, not giving weight. In the experience just the experience, could this still be an equanimous watcher thing?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 9/4/12 1:12 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/4/12 1:07 AM

Adam . .:
Perhaps I am stumbling here due to conflating your recent commentary on the bahiya sutta with your last blog post and the mention you made of thanissaro bhikku's "right mindfulness."

He criticizes bhante g's 'bare attention' in lots of ways and seems to imply that such an equanimous watcher type thing would be created through his methods. It seems to me though that when i non-judgementally observe i am practicing right effort, right concentration, and right mindfulness. I am being non-judgemental - no desire or aversion (right effort) I am watching, minimizing distraction by "coming back" over and over (right concentration) and I am remembering to do it all (right mindfulness.) Thus bhante G calling it mindfulness is just a linguistic issue.

Then again, maybe I am wrong, is this what you meant by "staring at the senses" in your last blog post (which you implied wouldn't lead to liberation in itself)?

When i do the bare attention thing it is clearly liberating, there is just a flow of consciousness, just that, nothing else. Non-judgement seems to basically be the same as not fabricating a self, not giving weight. In the experience just the experience, could this still be an equanimous watcher thing?

Bahiya supposedly only got that instruction and supposedly got arahat from just those instructions. I prefer to rely on my own experience of 'no mental stress' VS 'stress' than 100% on some Bhikkhu's opinion. I do like his article cos it makes you think and re-asses any unquestioned beliefs/views and perhaps generates more curiosity for the ongoing experience more than there was before. In other words I am shying away from making any absolute claims about 'bare attenton' etc. Whatever works to end stress is what I go with. And yes, I kind of did mean 'staring at the senses' in that way. If one is inclined to question and look curiously at automatic practices previously unquestioned, job. done.

Experiment! If it leads to less stress or no stress, I'd say one is on the right track. but I would also be mindful of any sublte mental traps one may fall into. This at least will keep vigilance at a high and curiosity as well. All very beneficial in my experience.
thumbnail
M B, modified 11 Years ago at 9/5/12 12:44 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/5/12 12:44 AM

Here are three talks that are a nice exploration of Bahiya stuff. http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/?search=bahiya
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 11 Years ago at 9/5/12 11:39 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/5/12 11:39 AM

Perhaps it is important to take into account that Bahiya was quite aware of the future's uncertainty (and, of course, we know he is killed right after his liberating conversation). I recall the times I've experienced a life-threatening situation, the slowness of time, the plain sensory details (no embellishment whatsoever, no application of language), the quiet mind. When life comes back up (is not ended) a sense of the speed of daily time returns and there is also a rush in and whoosh of the volume of the language mind, the mind that is already assuming familiarity with everything it meets/senses.

How is that useful to daily practice?
Adam , modified 11 Years ago at 9/6/12 8:52 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/6/12 8:52 PM

bahiya was also according to the buddha his primary student in quickness of discernment. but the same instructions were given to malunkyaputta who went back to practice them in solitude for some period before becoming unbound. admittedly malunkyaputta was described as ardent and resolute, both of the two guys who asked for and received the dharma in brief had some special quality. i think the practice is useful, but i am not expecting instant enlightenment.

the malunkyaputta has a cool expansion on the basic advice which i think is useful:

Not impassioned with forms
— seeing a form with mindfulness firm —
dispassioned in mind,
one knows
and doesn't remain fastened there.
While one is seeing a form
— and even experiencing feeling —
it falls away and doesn't accumulate.
Thus one fares mindfully.
Thus not amassing stress,
one is said to be
in the presence of Unbinding.

Not impassioned with sounds...
Not impassioned with aromas...
Not impassioned with flavors...
Not impassioned with tactile sensations...

Not impassioned with ideas
— knowing an idea with mindfulness firm —
dispassioned in mind,
one knows
and doesn't remain fastened there.
While one is knowing an idea
— and even experiencing feeling —
it falls away and doesn't accumulate.
Thus one fares mindfully.
Thus not amassing stress,
one is said to be
in the presence of Unbinding.
"It's in this way, lord, that I understand in detail the meaning of what the Blessed One said in brief."

"Good, Malunkyaputta. Very good. It's good that you understand in detail this way the meaning of what I said in brief."

some more commentary on the practice from thanissaro bikkhu:

he move from equanimity to non-fashioning is briefly described in a famous passage:

"Then, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bahiya, there's no you in that. When there's no you in that, there's no you there. When there's no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."

— Ud 1.10

On the surface, these instructions might seem to be describing bare attention, but a closer look shows that something more is going on. To begin with, the instructions come in two parts: advice on how to train attention, and a promise of the results that will come from training attention in that way. In other words, the training is still operating on the conditioned level of cause and effect. It's something to be done. This means it's shaped by an intention, which in turn is shaped by a view. The intention and view are informed by the "result" part of the passage: The meditator wants to attain the end of stress and suffering, and so is willing to follow the path to that end. Thus, as with every other level of appropriate attention, the attention developed here is conditioned by right view — the knowledge that your present intentions are ultimately the source of stress — and motivated by the desire to put an end to that stress. This is why you make the effort not to add anything at all to the potentials coming from the past.

he apparently doesn't quite get what bare attention teachers teach, as it is exactly what he describes:
Thus, as with every other level of appropriate attention, the attention developed here is conditioned by right view — the knowledge that your present intentions are ultimately the source of stress — and motivated by the desire to put an end to that stress. This is why you make the effort not to add anything at all to the potentials coming from the past.

but that is besides the point
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 11 Years ago at 9/13/12 11:33 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/13/12 11:32 AM

Where water, earth,
fire, & wind
have no footing:
There the stars don't shine,
the sun isn't visible.
There the moon doesn't appear.
There darkness is not found.
And when a sage,
a brahman through sagacity,
has realized [this] for himself,
then from form & formless,
from bliss & pain,
he is freed.

This passage is also contained in the Bahiya Sutta and very worth looking at. Taking the instructions above about in reference to the sensed, only the sensed, etc... see how the four elemental properties are present as the body, or not - how it seems to be known which element is which, or not... how they can morph, all the intricate properties of each, just as they are sensed. Really fascinating approach for breaking down what seems to be body, or what might seem solid, and for ramping up apperception.