an old tarin quote i thought i should resurface

Adam , modified 11 Years ago at 9/8/12 11:54 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/8/12 11:54 PM

an old tarin quote i thought i should resurface

by feeling well enough to be really still, listening to the stillness, and getting used to going about one's day that way. the details fill in themselves. 'be really still' means just hang out, alert and undisturbed, and listen to what's going on around you. pay attention to (the sense of) hearing itself. the me-sense asserts itself, but at some point, when the stillness is deep enough, you just forget the me-sense altogether... it's not relevant to simply hearing sound. don't forget to have fun, enjoy yourself. the stillness is refreshing.

Question:> Can you expand more about the stillness of the experience of this moment ?

Tarin Greco: sure. probably the most important thing i can point out is that it is palpable in sensate experience. think of it as being like the atmospheric background of sounds that doesn't exist as distinct from those sounds themselves (it is not merely the sense of silence) ... or think of it as what that atmospheric background comes out of (sounds seem to emerge from the stillness). don't concern yourself with the issue of being or not- being and just listen intently

... the stillness i was referring to is not the silence between sounds but a continuity of listening which spans the occurrence of both sound and of the sense of silence. there is actually no silence between sounds (a silence which exists when sounds do not); the relationship between sounds and silence is much more complex than that. spiritualists make a big deal about a transcendent silence, but a sincere and protracted investigation into the relationship between sound and the sense of its absence reveals something even more - for lack of better word, wondrous - than merely transcendence. the stillness is living, breathing, sensate; repeated experience of it engenders naivete... a mode of experience which is, by default, inclined to that which is actual and sensate.

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/901351
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 11 Years ago at 9/9/12 10:31 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/9/12 10:31 AM

RE: an old tarin quote i thought i should resurface

That is a good one. Thanks for floating it Adam.
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 11 Years ago at 9/9/12 10:25 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/9/12 10:25 PM

RE: an old tarin quote i thought i should resurface

oh, the golden days of the DhO.

- loved reading it again emoticon

Breadcrumb