Adam , modified 11 Years ago at 9/9/12 10:53 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/9/12 10:53 PM

Interactive Buddha

Seems to have disappeared
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 9/10/12 12:49 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/10/12 12:49 AM

RE: Interactive Buddha

Yes, it is gone for the moment, to return when I have a bit of time to recreate it.

The longtime host, my old friend Robert Burns, finally had to give up that server, so it had no home, but soon it will rise from the ashes like a Phoenix on SquareSpaces, or so I hope.

It will probably end up being a subpart of IntegratedDaniel.Info, an attempt to finally reintegrate previously hypercompartmentalized aspects of my life into one place: music, meditation, medicine, green building, pictures of my cats, and the like, in an attempt to model a well-integrated human, not that I am saying I am one.

I think that will help normalize things in numerous directions.

Daniel
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 9/15/12 10:45 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/15/12 10:45 PM

Any tech people out there want to give me just a bit of tech assistance getting Interactivebuddha back up and online?

I am putting it on squarespaces, or at least I think I am, and trying to have it be part of integrateddaniel.info, in an attempt to decompartmentalize my life and online presence and hopefully normalize some things that way, and some aspects of that are proving just a bit tricky, particularly the following:

Current all links are broken to the original site, as it is not hosted at the moment at all.

It would be great to use squarespaces at the platform, but retain the original links and pages, and also have it all be linked seamlessly into integrateddaniel.info. This is not proving as easy for me as I though it would be. I suspect it has something to do with permalinks, but I can get past knowing that, it seems.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, and I could pay someone for a bit of their time if no volunteers come forward, as I would like to have it back up, as it is one of the primary repositories of one of the free versions of MCTB, as well as the translations.

Daniel
thumbnail
Simon Ekstrand, modified 11 Years ago at 9/16/12 11:53 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/16/12 11:53 AM

Hi Daniel,

I can probably help, depending on what exactly the issues are. I can be reached at simon (at) theoak (dot) se
I've worked as a sysadmin/programmer for the last 15 years if that helps allay any misgivings.

No payment required, you have given so much to the community.

Simon
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 9/16/12 1:48 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/16/12 1:48 PM

That is very kind! I sent you an email in reply.

D
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 9/16/12 10:08 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/16/12 10:08 PM

Interactivebuddha.com is back up! Yeah!

Thanks for Simon's help getting it working.

If you find anything strange, broken, or otherwise not quite right, let me know.

It is now a part of integrateddaniel.info, a general personal website, to try to normalize things a bit and bring things back down to earth. It is mostly interactivebuddha at this point, as it had the most pre-made content, but more on the rest is coming...

This will be an interesting and hopefully innovative and successful social experiment in putting together previously hypercompartmentalized parts of my life. We'll see how that goes.

The audio files are not up yet: basically the 5 Hurricane Ranch talks: squarespace doesn't like audio off their server and the files are too big (>20Memoticon.

Work in progress, working out things regarding what server to put them on... There is a suggestion to put them in a public Dropbox folder. Any other options for a good, high-bandwidth solid website for them that would be able to be imbedded into squarespace? I am happy to pay for quality.

Daniel
thumbnail
Pål S, modified 11 Years ago at 9/17/12 3:49 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/17/12 3:49 AM

What about soundcloud.com? They also give you the ability for people to comment on specific parts of the audio.
thumbnail
Simon Ekstrand, modified 11 Years ago at 9/17/12 3:59 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/17/12 3:59 AM

Hi Daniel,

Daniel M. Ingram:
The audio files are not up yet: basically the 5 Hurricane Ranch talks: squarespace doesn't like audio off their server and the files are too big (>20Memoticon.

Work in progress, working out things regarding what server to put them on... There is a suggestion to put them in a public Dropbox folder. Any other options for a good, high-bandwidth solid website for them that would be able to be imbedded into squarespace? I am happy to pay for quality.

The only suggestion I received when i asked around was to use http://soundcloud.com/
I've never used the service personally but I did a quick test and it was simple enough to set up. They have a nice embeddable player, but they do not allow for direct download of the mp3 files which is a downside. I suppose you could also go with a combination of soundcloud and dropbox, soundcloud for the embeddable player, dropbox for the direct download, but that might be a messy solution, though quite quick and easy.

Another option would be to use a traditional webhosting service and host the files there yourself. Any number of flash/html5 players available for free could be used at that point. This option would incur a monthly/yearly fee for the webhosting, and be a little work to setup the player, but would afford the most control and flexibility.

Perhaps someone else knows of a pre-packaged online service that can provide both the embeddable player and the download, that would certainly be the best option.

Anyway, here's a simple example of soundclouds embeddable player with one of the hurricane ranch audio files:
http://www.theoak.se/sc.html

Simon

Breadcrumb