Methods of Awakening

thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 11 Years ago at 9/11/12 6:27 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/11/12 6:27 PM

Methods of Awakening

Hey folks,

"Methods of Awakening" is my new blog on practical meditation techniques, I've tried to write in straightforward, down-to-earth language and avoid using too much terminology unless it's necessary so as to make it accessible as possible. I'm still in the process of writing stuff for this, but also working material for the wiki on here and to contribute to MCTB 2, so I'm just updating it as and when. I'm hoping that by keeping things simple and describing experience/terminology in phenomenological terms, it'll make it easier for more people to find a basic practice and then move on from there to develop their insight chops for themselves.

Here's the link: Methods of Awakening.

Cheers!
thumbnail
Brian Eleven, modified 11 Years ago at 9/11/12 8:23 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/11/12 8:23 PM

RE: Methods of Awakening

Tommy,
Thanks for the blog!
I've been reading it since AEN mentioned it, and you, on his blog. I haven't been able to log in for some reason so I'm glad I can let you know it is appreciated. I especially liked the "Attentiveness: A Primer" which I believe was instrumental in my first "I AM" experience. MC Buddha, and "Stop! Jhana Time" still makes me laugh, great visual, and good post!

Metta,

Brian.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 9/12/12 1:43 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/12/12 1:43 AM

I read a couple of posts in bed this morning while Mrs Bagpuss made the tea emoticon Very nice Tommy, thanks!

With you attentiveness practice, how does this work when you're busy at the computer, or having a conversation etc?
M N, modified 11 Years ago at 9/12/12 3:39 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/12/12 3:39 AM

That's great... thanks!!!
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 11 Years ago at 9/12/12 8:51 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/12/12 8:51 AM

Awesome, thanks so much for the feedback and I'm incredibly happy that it's been useful!

Bagpuss:
With you attentiveness practice, how does this work when you're busy at the computer, or having a conversation etc?

It's just a matter of noticing how bare sensate awareness is always happening, it takes a bit of practice 'cause we're so used to being totally focused on a conversation or on writing or whatever, but it becomes more and more apparent that, even though there's the thought that you're totally engaged in what you're doing, that thought is just another sensation occurring as part of the whole sense-field. It's like letting attention roam free and dance around the senses, it becomes effortless and you can gradually notice how "you" don't actually "do" anything to make this happen.

I'll try to write something about incorporating this sort of thing into everyday situations, even just a rough outline of how to do this while you're talking to someone 'cause it's amazing how much insight can be found in those situations. If there's anything in particular anyone would like to hear more about then let me know, I'm just trying to make this as accessible and practical as possible so any specific ideas are welcomed.

Thanks again for checking it out and for your support folks, I really appreciate it.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 9/13/12 1:38 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/13/12 1:38 PM

Thanks Tommy.

I've been doing this practice (or something very similar) for a few months now when walking. I start to notice that seeing is happening, then touching is happening, then hearing is happening, then that the body is moving through space... then all at once. It's evolved a bit since I first started to do it in the spring this year. Right now my main issue is remembering to be mindful of anything during my working day and family life, but when I can it works like this:

Awareness of the breath (basic level)
Awareness of body sensations (with breath as fallback. touch of clothes on skin, wind, pain, subtle vibrations, postures)
Awareness at all sense doors (with awareness of the body as fallback)

When it's good, little insights tend to pop up and the general feeling is one of lightness of being and satisfaction with the world. It's a nice practice emoticon
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 9/13/12 10:08 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/13/12 10:08 PM

Staying present with the keyboard strokes and my work has made data entry less blurry and less tiring. Very helpful. emoticon

Breadcrumb