Ven. Xing Kong (Dhammadipa Thero) on Concentration and Paramita

thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 11 Years ago at 9/21/12 9:21 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/21/12 9:21 PM

Ven. Xing Kong (Dhammadipa Thero) on Concentration and Paramita

For anyone who wants a guided home practice that can go for four weeks or more, here are the dharma talks from a four-week retreat recorded at Chuang Yen Monastery in 2010 led by Venerable Dhammadipa Thero (Xing Kong) :

"Venerable Dhammadipa, a distinguished monk and meditation teacher of Czech nationality. During the four-week period (10/29/2010 ~ 11/27/2010) Venerable Dhammadipa (Thomas Peter Gutmann) led a retreat focus on Samatha and Vipasyana meditation and the practice of 6 and 10 paramitas as given in the Theravada and the Northern Buddhist Tradition. The practice of “4 heavenly abodes” was emphasized in the Samatha meditation. Practical instructions have been given for this practice with reference to the Jataks (Birth stories of the Buddha), Suttantas and Theravada and Mahayana Abhidharma."

Concentration practice (anapanasati) is the subject of the first few talks.
thumbnail
Luke Avedon, modified 11 Years ago at 9/22/12 12:30 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/22/12 12:30 AM

RE: Ven. Xing Kong (Dhammadipa Thero) on Concentration and Parami

Thank you!
Change A, modified 11 Years ago at 9/22/12 9:47 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/22/12 9:47 AM

Venerable Dhammadipa Thero's biography says that he enrolled at Nalanda University in India but there is no such university in India functional at this time. It was destroyed a long time ago. Now some people are trying to rebuild it.
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 11 Years ago at 9/22/12 10:57 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/22/12 10:57 AM

Thank you, Change A.

I am looking into it.

Meanwhile, here is the biography of Ven. Dhammadipa Thero (Xing Kong) that the monastery has on their site. I will direct the link there and see what I can learn about the bio on the German site:
[indent]Born in Czechoslovakia, Venerable Dhammadipa is a world-renown meditation teacher, with deep understanding of meditation in both Theravada and Mahayana traditions. In 1987, he received traditional Theravada ordination in Sri Lanka, where he practiced meditation under Venerable Nanarama Mahathera. In 1989, he received ordination as a Mahayana monk in Hsi Lai Temple, Los Angeles. In 1996, he practiced meditation with the meditation master Venerable Pa Auk Sayadaw in Myanmar, and is considered by the Sayadaw to be the first of his Western disciples qualified to teach meditation. Over the past ten years, Venerable Dhammadipa has taught meditation at western and Asian monasteries and universities around the world.[/indent]
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 11 Years ago at 9/22/12 6:42 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/22/12 6:27 PM

Okay, Change A., the university may be Nava Nalanda Mahavihara. It seems it began as an Institute and has since become ranked as a university.

[if someone in Germany wants to call the number and verify, that'd be good. Otherwise, I'll see about that in a few weeks]
Change A, modified 11 Years ago at 9/22/12 6:50 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/22/12 6:50 PM

Thanks for finding out this information which sounds correct to me.

Breadcrumb