Meditation Visa for Myanmar: applying in Bangkok

Jenny lomas, modified 11 Years ago at 10/3/12 9:40 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/3/12 9:40 PM

Meditation Visa for Myanmar: applying in Bangkok

Hi,
does anyone know whether I can get a Meditation Visa from the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok same-day or next day?
I know that the embassy in Kuala Lumpur issues them same day, but i can't find any info from the embassy in Bangkok.

I have heard that there are now strict rules about needing a Meditation visa to stay and practise in the monasteries in Burma, and a tourist visa isn't acceptable any more.

Any help very much appreciated, am heading off in 2 weeks :-)

Jenny
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 11 Years ago at 10/4/12 12:54 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/4/12 12:54 PM

RE: Meditation Visa for Myanmar: applying in Bangkok

I might not be up to date on the matter but it's the Singapore embassy that is recommended and for a while it was considered the only place where you could get the meditation visa. Myanamar is openning up somewhat so things might have improved but up to last year it was said to be almost impossible to get the meditation visa at the Bangkok embassy. Standard 1- month visa take 2-3 days to get. If your flight is already booked, you could try to get it in Bangkok and if it doesn't work, take a cheap Air Asia flight to Singapore.

http://www.paaukforestmonastery.org/other_info.htm#Visa
Jenny lomas, modified 11 Years ago at 10/4/12 11:05 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/4/12 11:05 PM

Thanks Simon.
I am probably going to go to KL to get the visa..... I'll post here my experience, it seems to be a bit of a obstacle course.
Jenny
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 11 Years ago at 10/5/12 6:31 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/5/12 7:59 AM

Jenny lomas:
Thanks Simon.
I am probably going to go to KL to get the visa..... I'll post here my experience, it seems to be a bit of a obstacle course.
Jenny

I never heard about meditation visa from KL embassy. It is reputed to be processed fast there?

I suppose you got your sponsorship letter already. Which temple are you going to?
Jenny lomas, modified 11 Years ago at 10/5/12 9:05 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/5/12 9:05 PM

yes, seemingly you can get a meditate visa processed in 2 days at the embassy in KL.
I'm going to Shwe Oo Min Monastery.
redic den, modified 11 Years ago at 1/26/13 2:08 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/26/13 2:08 PM

its not a longer process but due tom verification from Bangkok govt. its take time be patent ...guided
Andre d, modified 11 Years ago at 1/26/13 2:50 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/26/13 2:50 PM

Hi,

I got my Meditation-Visa from the Myanmar-embassy in BKK in April last year.
It took 1 night.

The people there are very stressed, so you really have to be very (very) patient and friendly.

Be there at least 30 min before the embassy is opening. (It's very easy to find and is next to a Skytrain station. just google it!)

I had to fill out some forms + 2 passport photographs + you need the sponsorship-letter from the monastery.
Then he told me he's gonna call the monastery and I have to come back the next day at 4pm.

The next day he asked about my experience (how long I've been meditating and how often) and then finally, he gave me the Visa :-) . (52$)

It is also advisable that you don't write something like Reporter, Blogger, Photographer, etc as your occupation on that form. All kinds of "Press-related-persons" are not very welcome to the government of Myanmar.

andre
Howie Phung, modified 10 Years ago at 10/10/13 7:57 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/10/13 7:57 AM

I can confirm that it is possible to get a meditation visa in one day at the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok. As of September 2013, it costs 2115 baht. Line up at 8:30, get application form from counter 4 (form is the same as the one for business visa), submit application with two photos and a copy of your passport and the invitation letter, and come back at 3:00pm to pick up. It was quick and painless. Good luck!
Be Free Now, modified 10 Years ago at 11/27/13 11:17 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/27/13 11:17 PM

As of today, November 28 2013, the process is simple and painless.

The Embassy opens at 9:00 AM. I would recommend getting there at about 7:30 AM. When I got there this morning, there were already about 10-12 people waiting. By 9:00, I would say there were 75-100 people in line. Perhaps it was busier today because the Embassy was closed the day before due to a National Holiday in Myanmar. You can be in and out of the Embassy in literally 5-10 minutes if everything goes smoothly.

I recommend having everything prepared before you enter the Embassy. You need the Entry Visa/Business Visa form filled out, sponsorship letter from monastery, 2 passport photos, your passport, a copy of your passport, and 2115 Baht (about $65-$66, if you want to pick up on the same day). You can get the visa form, copies, and photos (if you need) done at the Print + Copy shop about 150m north of the Embassy (visa form and copy of passport was 6 Baht [roughly 15 cents]). You will see a yellow sign in the alley leading to the shop.

Go to Counter 4 and say "meditation visa." Today, the man said Counter 3 is where they give you a number for meditation visas, which is a bit confusing, since I had the documents ready, and all I needed was a number, and Counter 3 says "Thai Passport" or something similar. Don't go to the back of the line at Counter 3 if this happens. Just politely tell the next person in line at Counter 3 the man behind the counter said you are next and put your documents on the counter. It's OK to be assertive in the Embassy, because it is crowed, noisy, and whoever is the most assertive and prepared will be out of there the quickest. You get a number, and very soon (literally, right away, if you get there early), your number will be called to Counter 1, where you hand in your documents and money.

It was shockingly painless. They did not ask any questions. They just gave me a receipt to show when I come back in at 3:30 PM.

Be Happy!
Chi
Marie Elisabeth Ericsson, modified 10 Years ago at 12/24/13 7:00 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/24/13 7:00 AM

Is this useful information about getting a meditation visa i BKK still valid?

Does anyone know if there would be any problem if one first goes to a meditation center for some week and then goes on a tour of the country for 20 days on the meditation visa? Or do you have to stay at a center the whole time?
Rob Njosnavelin, modified 9 Years ago at 4/9/14 7:37 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/9/14 7:37 PM

If the application form on the Pa-Auk Forest monastery website is anything to go by (which it probably is) - you have to stay at the meditation center for the duration of your meditation visa.
Zach Hessler, modified 9 Years ago at 6/2/14 12:19 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/1/14 12:42 AM

I have gotten a meditation visa for Myanmar the last 2 winters in Bangkok, no problem. Two winters ago it was crowded and last winter it was not. Doesn't hurt to get there earlier than later though. Both times I had to wait in the same line as everyone else at counter one to get your number which will be for counter 4 (same as business counter and hardly anyone ever in it so waiting time from that point is short). Same day isn't the norm. They asked me if I was in a hurry. First year yes, second year no. They charge more money if you're in a hurry, I don't remember how much. Have all your papers, money, and photos ready.

IF YOU FIND YOU ARE SHORT ON ANY OF THE REQUIREMENTS: There are banks on the big street nearby. Also just a bit further down the side street the embassy is on on the other side of the road is a handy little shop that can do passport photos, make copies, paper clip, glue, etc. They are used to people coming there for that assistance. 

As far as touring around some after your retreat: the monastery or whatever retreat organization that sponsors you is responsible for you and it seems the expectation is that you stay there. However, different places have different attitudes towards this. Better to ask your sponsor directly.

Hope that helps
J C, modified 9 Years ago at 6/1/14 1:20 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/1/14 1:20 AM

I don't understand why you can't just get a tourist visa and use that.
Max L, modified 9 Years ago at 6/3/14 7:07 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/3/14 4:19 PM

J C:
I don't understand why you can't just get a tourist visa and use that.

Besides the matter of time contraints (tourist visas are 28 days, and overstays can create issues that go way beyond inconvenience), some meditation destinations will not accept yogis on a tourist visa. Shwe Oo Min monastery, referenced earlier in this thread, comes to mind. I stayed at Panditarama Hse Main Gon while on a tourist visa. They were a little annoyed by that. If I go back I'll get the meditation visa.
Matthew O'Donnell, modified 9 Years ago at 6/5/14 11:08 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/5/14 11:08 PM

I've been exchanging emails recently with Pandita Rama (Yangon) regarding obtaining a Meditation Visa to do a 10 day and this is what I was told:

"People do not get in trouble for taking a ten-day retreat when they come to the country for business, tourism or other purposes."

Apparently an official invite from the monastery is only needed if you're planning a long retreat like for 3 months.  I'll be there in October/November time frame.  My company is sending me there to train customers in Mandalay.  Pretty cool eh? 

Hope this helps. 

Matthew
Karen, modified 8 Years ago at 6/7/15 9:41 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/7/15 9:41 PM

Hi everyone - I am looking at applying for a Myanmar meditation visa for the first time. I have a few questions I wonder if anyone can help me with.
1. It looks from the earlier posts as if it is pretty easy to get the visa issued in Bangkok. There is no embassy in New Zealand so I was hoping to do it there. Has anyone got pretty recent experience of the ease/time frames?
2. The Bangkok Embassy site says that you need a sponsor's letter with the 'registration number and issue date' on it. A friend has organised the sponsorship letter for us, but it has no registration number on it. What is that?
3. The website also says you need an "Authorisation or approval letter from the Ministry of Religious Affairs'. Has anyone had to provide this recently and if so where and how did you get it?

Thanks in advance for any help,
with metta

Breadcrumb