Share your techniques of mixing AF with Vipassana

thumbnail
Brian K, modified 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 8:18 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 8:18 PM

Share your techniques of mixing AF with Vipassana

Ok, so lately I've been thinking about how some people think AF is incompatible with traditional buddhist practices and how some people think they work well together when they're both practiced. So, trying to incorporate both, I was wondering how other people have found they can incorporate both effectively so they supplement each other and not detract from each other. I do a lot of noting throughout the day. Today I decided, fuck it, I'm just going to try and practice HAIETMOBA during the day. I found noting was a lot more effective for me, I zoned out more/had more random thoughts without noting. I came to appreciate just how useful and flexible noting really is. So, does anyone have any experience with using both these techniques (or any other vipassana technique) with success? I'd be interested in learning more of the details on what people have used to balance out how they distribute their attention on a moment-to-moment level and what little tricks they've come up with to utilize both techniques.

Also, if you think that these two methods are incompatible you don't need to comment. I am going to experiment with both either way. Just looking for success-stories and solutions here. Thanks.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 9:19 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 9:00 PM

RE: Share your techniques of mixing AF with Vipassana

Brian K.:
Ok, so lately I've been thinking about how some people think AF is incompatible with traditional buddhist practices and how some people think they work well together when they're both practiced. So, trying to incorporate both, I was wondering how other people have found they can incorporate both effectively so they supplement each other and not detract from each other. I do a lot of noting throughout the day. Today I decided, fuck it, I'm just going to try and practice HAIETMOBA during the day. I found noting was a lot more effective for me, I zoned out more/had more random thoughts without noting. I came to appreciate just how useful and flexible noting really is. So, does anyone have any experience with using both these techniques (or any other vipassana technique) with success? I'd be interested in learning more of the details on what people have used to balance out how they distribute their attention on a moment-to-moment level and what little tricks they've come up with to utilize both techniques.

Also, if you think that these two methods are incompatible you don't need to comment. I am going to experiment with both either way. Just looking for success-stories and solutions here. Thanks.

I experimented a lot. But have reached the conclusion that if one does not have a pliant and malleable mind, then you may well get yourself trapped in a confusing knot and end up triggering confusion and dismay in others as well. It's a controversial topic to discuss here these days, so you may run the big risk of having doubt inserted into your mixing practices which will not help at all as any doubt will hinder any practice taken on.

My opinion: Stick to one or the other. the actualist path or a particular buddhist flavoured path. If you have had a PCE, you can let it inform your buddhist practice or let it inform your actualist practice. But don't mix. You will most probably fabricate yourself more confusion and frustration as well as more views to get entangled in. Pick one route, and take it as far as it can go. One leg on one horse and the other leg on another horse could tear you a new arsehole. Pick one horse and ride it to its advertised result.

My 2 cents.
thumbnail
Brian K, modified 11 Years ago at 10/23/12 9:59 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/23/12 9:59 AM

What about something simple like, enjoying the moment continuously while noting, do you think that is not too detrimental to either side?

• As, in daily life, while generally noting/being mindful when noting is not always applicable, placing an emphasis on cultivating joy and contentment in this moment. While noting understanding that everything you note is just sensations and a continuous stream of cause and effect, and in this there is no reason to be unhappy or seek-when there is no one to seek in the first place.
  • Also, while noting, (and maybe you're supposed to do this anyway), noting sensations as to try and get them at their base level, unfabricated and without "affect". As in: "When one first becomes aware of something, there is a fleeting instant of the clean perception of sensum..." This may be logical anyway, but I don't see it a lot in vipassana instructions. I have heard more of recognizing the aversion/desire towards certain sensations, and not so much about experiencing them before aversion and desire manifests altogether. Then again, my memory is shit and my repertoire of knowledge is limited. (Disregarding tibetan teachings where they say to specifically do this, but in a noting-type vipassana)

So perhaps these things can be gently cultivated, as to not try and force each technique upon eachother, and as to not add to much confusion/complication where it stops being helpful. Obviously, it's at the discretion of the practitioner to choose what he/she feels comfortable with and what works for them. What do you think?

How Am I Experiencing This Moment Of Noting Every Sensation That Arises And Passes Away Within My Immediate Sensory Experience? (HAIETMONESTAAPAWMISE?)
End in Sight, modified 11 Years ago at 10/25/12 6:36 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/25/12 6:36 AM

Brian K.:
  • Also, while noting, (and maybe you're supposed to do this anyway), noting sensations as to try and get them at their base level, unfabricated and without "affect". As in: "When one first becomes aware of something, there is a fleeting instant of the clean perception of sensum..." This may be logical anyway, but I don't see it a lot in vipassana instructions.

• http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe13.html

But, it may not be effective to go directly for that through an act of will, which is why you don't see it emphasized in vipassana instructions (or actualism instructions, for that matter...).

Breadcrumb