Dissociative experience = PCE?

mind less, modified 11 Years ago at 10/24/12 3:32 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/24/12 12:38 PM

Dissociative experience = PCE?

I'm sometimes having a dissociative experience where the mind passively sees the body moving and hears the mouth talking, and so on, but there is no sense of a doer or anyone in control. The mind just passively experiences. There is no sense of control over what is said and what is done, but to other people there is nothing strange about me. No strange body movements or strange sentences, etc, but there is a creepy feeling.

It happens between three times a week and once a month, and lasts anything from a second to 15-20 seconds, usually a few seconds. It seems to last until the mind gets too self-conscious, and 'I' can end the dissociation anytime 'I' like - yes, there is obviously a sense of control (stop or continue) but no doer. Anyone who has experienced anything similar? Is it meditation related or not? What is the difference between this experience and a PCE?
Eric Michaels, modified 11 Years ago at 10/24/12 7:46 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/24/12 7:46 PM

RE: Dissociative experience = PCE?

This happens to me once in a while. It certainly can be a side effect of meditation.

Reminds me of Kenneth Folk's "No Dog" concept, Daniel writes about it here:

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/dharma-wiki/-/wiki/Main/No%20Dog,%20Some%20Dog%20and%20the%20Simplest%20Thing?p_r_p_185834411_title=No%20Dog,%20Some%20Dog%20and%20the%20Simplest%20Thing

Forgive me if I'm being dense but what exactly does PCE stand for?
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 10/24/12 9:43 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/24/12 9:43 PM

It happens with strong concentration and mindfulness. It's a state. To realize emptiness more often but still be normal just notice how thinking about yourself is only thinking and not a "thinker". Some people like to ask "Who am I?". I like to ask "were those thoughts me?". It unsticks you but you don't have to stop thoughts.
thumbnail
(D Z) Dhru Val, modified 11 Years ago at 10/25/12 12:17 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/25/12 12:15 AM

Morgan Gunnarsson:
Anyone who has experienced anything similar? Is it meditation related or not? What is the difference between this experience and a PCE?

Yes. I think. I have experienced similar stuff in the past, often lasting minutes. This is different from the sense of not having a doer as evident in a PCE.

Yes. One can also notice the same sort of effect for instance while driving a car. It is almost an effortless reflex, whereas when you were learning to drive you would have to consciously evaluate each little motion.

Quite a bit. A PCE involves direct sensory perception of reality. Increased sensory clarity would be the most noticeable thing. This isn't it.

There is no sense of personal agency in a PCE state, but it isn't exactly a dissociation like the one you are experiencing. More like an absorption into the senses.