MBMC Penang

thumbnail
Steve Katona, modified 11 Years ago at 10/27/12 9:45 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/27/12 9:45 AM

MBMC Penang

Please give a date to the post about the MBMC in Penang being unreliable because of teacher availability. Any elaboration would also be helpful. I am leaving on 11/3/12 for a 21 day retreat at Tathagata MC in San Jose with Sayadaw U Thuzana who was abbot or meditation master at MBMC for a number of years. I was planning something more extensive after 1/1/13 at MBMC if this upcoming retreat goes well.

Alternative sites in Asia would be appreciated. A friend, who is a long time student of U Vivekananda, has advised against Lumbini as I have a liver transplant and though stable one's immune system will be more challenged in Nepal than in Penang.

Thanks for any advice or comments.
thumbnail
John Mac, modified 11 Years ago at 11/1/12 7:04 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 11/1/12 7:04 AM

RE: MBMC Penang

I'm planning to be in SE Asia around this time too, so any responses would really help!
thumbnail
Andy Robert Morgan, modified 11 Years ago at 11/13/12 5:20 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 11/13/12 5:20 PM

I'd also really like to know a little more about MBMC, especially regarding what teachers they will probably have.

I was thinking of staying there from the 21st of January onwards, but I haven't heard anything back from the centre for quite awhile (I emailed lindatoh2001@yahoo.com).
Josh Johnson, modified 11 Years ago at 12/8/12 10:11 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/8/12 10:11 PM

Hi Steve,

I'm heading to MBMC in two weeks and if things go well I'm planning on staying several months. I have emailed back and forth with the center and they currently have Sayadaw Pannananda as the teacher. I didn't ask how long he will be there for though. The contact Linda (lindatoh2001@yahoo.com) has been good at getting back with me so maybe email her with the dates you are looking at if your still interested in heading over there and ask her if there will be a Sayadaw available.

As far as other centers I've heard of one other near Penang called the Buddhist Hermitage Lunas. Otherwise if health is a concern It may be tough to find a center in the Mahasi style. Thailand has good sanitation from what Ive heard but I haven't heard of any Mahasi syle centers.

I hope your retreat went well and maybe I'll see you over there

Take care,

Josh