Cushion and Seated Positioning

thumbnail
Ken Thompson, modified 11 Years ago at 12/2/12 10:21 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/2/12 10:21 AM

Cushion and Seated Positioning

Hello Everyone, I'm here to ask a question about cushion choice and seated positioning.
I have not yet purchased a 'proper' meditation cushion. As I am set to go to my first Goenka retreat in early January it seems appropriate to put some effort into overcoming the sitting obstacle I have been experiencing. On the cushion I do use, every cushion I have used and even the 'proper' meditation cushion I have used with a sitting group at the UU Church... I USUALLY have my front leg fall asleep (sitting in what is my understanding of Burmese fashion). Not always. The key variable seems to be if I can get the spot right in the crux of my hip joint off the cushion then I don't have it happen. Seems obvious that I am simply pinching that main nerve on the edge of the cushion and about 10 to 15 minutes in my leg begins to go stone cold dead. I don't really mind it so much, and really any frustration I do experience seems to be a useful tool for my meditation. But off the cushion, after giving it some thought, it doesn't seem like it's probably the healthiest thing to do on a regular basis and for really extended periods of time.
The obvious answer here is make sure I am sitting correctly before I start my meditation. And I do try to do that but it seems elusive for some reason. Hard to tell when I am fresh that I am not in the right position. Especially first thing in the morning, just getting out of bed and everything is achy and crampy to begin with.
So, I am looking for a cushion to buy and I am asking for any input on the best type of cushion for remedying my situation. Cotton, buckwheat hull, round, crescent...? Also any input on how I might better discern at the beginning if I am properly adjusted so that I am not pinching the nerve is welcome. Also, if I am sitting with the intention of being there for a few hours and after 20 minutes or so I realize that I have sat in such a way that I'm pinching that nerve... does it really matter? It seems like a less the optimal way to treat a major nerve, but am I really doing any harm or should I just use it as an object of meditation? Yes, I feel like an idiot child asking such questions... but I have work to do and would like to be at it.

I was going to post only one post and include here a spastic exuberance on this information I am finding and how unbelievably awesome it is to finally be getting some answers that fit my experience and are useful. But as my cushion question seems to have run pretty long, I'll post my spastic exuberance elsewhere.

Thanks for your time and attention,
Ken
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 12/2/12 10:50 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/2/12 10:48 AM

RE: Cushion and Seated Positioning

Hi Ken, welcome to the DhO!

I can't sit cross legged at all. When I sit (i more often lie on the bed) I use a meditation stool. If you're in europe, you can check out my site that sells such things. See Calming Breath

If not, or if you just don't fancy kneeling with a bench then you may need to work at stretching out your piriformis muscles. They may or may not be the cause, but are a good place to start work.

Good luck on your first Goenka!
thumbnail
Ken Thompson, modified 11 Years ago at 12/2/12 12:29 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/2/12 12:29 PM

Hi Bagpuss, thank you for the welcome and the response. I am in the U.S. actually. I have a regular old beanbag chair that actually works pretty great and I think I am going to try to incorporate for some of my longer sits at home. For the past decade or so I've had a lot of pain and issues in my lower back from my SI joint not being cooperative and wanting to stay where it belongs. I've experienced a lot of progress with this thru some specific exercises, and more recently I have found that the daily sitting practice is also helping this lower back issue... my guess is the extended time of holding a correct posture. I'm saying all this to explain, I am somewhat committed to trying to make the seated position work for me, and as I said I sometimes get my butt on the cushion just right and have no numbness at all. And when I switch which foot is in front, it's always the front foot I have problems with.
I will definitely take your advice on trying to get those piriformis muscles a bit more flexible and I'm sure it will help. I know I need to incorporate some regular yoga or the like to enhance my practice, I've been negligent in getting started on it.

Thanks for your help!
Change A, modified 11 Years ago at 12/2/12 12:58 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/2/12 12:58 PM

Ken Thompson:
I know I need to incorporate some regular yoga or the like to enhance my practice, I've been negligent in getting started on it.

Quite right. Check out Ven. Rahula's yoga for meditation videos on youtube and also his posture advice.
thumbnail
Ken Thompson, modified 11 Years ago at 12/2/12 1:34 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/2/12 1:34 PM

Thank you, Change. I watched the yoga 1 and 2 and the posture. Good stuff. At the beginning of yoga 2 I thought he was going to go all into pranyama, which I have some exposure too and is extremely involved and isn't a practice that I found a home in... but his short and concise techniques to use as a exercise and an entry to concentration practice seems really useful. I'm not down with the 45 minutes of forceful breathing of pranayama, but I can definitely work his exercises into my practice.
I'm baffled by how folks like that get their top knee down to the ground in half lotus without a cushion to raise their hips... There's a foot in the way! Hehe... I'll use those exercises and maybe after time I'll see how it works.

The stretches he showed are just the thing I need.
thumbnail
Tarver , modified 11 Years ago at 12/4/12 7:07 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/2/12 7:33 PM

Have you considered a bench, as an option? You can alternate cushion and bench at the Goenka. I have done 5 Goenka's and I still like to switch it up.

Whatever you do, do indeed follow through on the incredibly smart and correct thing you are doing here: establish a posture that you totally trust (whatever it may be -- including the specific equipment) before showing up at the Goenka, so that when you get into the thick of it you aren't wasting all kinds of time second-guessing yourself along with the rest the quiet throng raiding the cushion cupboard, desperately searching for something that might "work".

Having said that, steel yourself for the possibility that even after your due diligence, you may just join the legions who have gone before you only to discover that for some weird and inexplicable reason the posture that worked just fine for hours on end at home (or for several retreats previous, even) simply "stops working" part way through the retreat. The word "adhitthana" may acquire a deep and profound significance for you. In that case, simply do your best to apply your technique to whatever comes up. Once the endless hour is over, the severest and obviously permanently crippling pains have a way of... going away.

This happens to competent and serious people all the time. Don't be put off. It's normal. However, showing up unprepared and bringing it upon oneself and thus making it worse than it has to be is also all too common. That, at least, you can avoid.
thumbnail
Ken Thompson, modified 11 Years ago at 12/4/12 6:50 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/4/12 6:50 PM

Actually I haven't really given a bench any consideration. I've never actually had the opportunity to use one. While interested, I have seen them and it looks comfortable, I feel like that kind of experimentation might be better reserved for after my first retreat with it being so soon.
Since no one seems to have any opinions on the various types of cushions, or any comments about their experiences with the various types I am feeling like at this point I will just stick with my smiley face pillow I've been using. If I take the time and get settled on it right I am quite comfortable. And really, any pillow that can take my butt squashing it for an hour at a time and keep smiling must have something going for it. I'll blow money and experiment with cushions some other time.
And yes, I am pretty much open to experiencing anything come retreat time. I started out quite intimidated by it, but have reached a point of almost-equanimity. I'll do my best to take it as it comes.
I totally appreciate your advice and your words of encouragement.

Peace
- Ken
thumbnail
Ken Thompson, modified 11 Years ago at 12/6/12 5:47 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/6/12 5:47 PM

RE: Cushion and Seated Positioning (Answer)

Ok, so I lied... immediately after my last post my next practice was not comfortable at all. I used that as best I can, I mean it was definitely a good sit. Having a definition of the jhanas and a glimmer of understanding of how to move into and thru them is new and powerful, so the discomfort was a minor issue. But it was unnecessarily uncomfortable. So I got online and ordered a cushion. Got a crescent filled with buckwheat hulls. Has a zippered opening and no inner lining, so the volume of the filling can be adjusted. I'll get used to it and use it during the retreat, come what may. I'm also newly doing the exercises stretches that Change A pointed me to which like any new exercise is causing some soreness and stiffness which probably exacerbated the discomfort but I am sure will be helping by the time the retreat begins next month.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Breadcrumb