Samadhi!!!!! ....or just access concentration

thumbnail
Stuart Charles Law, modified 11 Years ago at 12/4/12 11:28 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/4/12 11:28 PM

Samadhi!!!!! ....or just access concentration

Extract from Meditation Musings, my meditation journal.

Was looking at the Dharma Overground when the thought occurred to me to me that i felt soft and relaxed and i wondered if it was because i had taken a twenty four hour break in my normal 4 hour per day meditation regime. Kept on thinking vaguely about sitting, finally it came 4:30am and i decided to sit. Set the cushion on high for the tailor's position and assumed my seat ... Now i just knew that there would be a pressure spot on top of my left foot that would cause me to change positions late in the hour as it had in the past, so i stopped the bells and set my cushion flat and smooth, restarted the bells and assumed the half lotus, chumping up and down until i got the right spot for my high leg. Then sat.

Very quickly, as has happened once quite a while back, i was into the "Beautiful Breath" .... Well before the first bell, so i would say 7 to 10 minutes into my sit i was in a place of delicious concentration very easy to be in, and any time it felt, or was under attack it was just a matter of going back to the breath and resharpening the thing ... so all in all a nice place to be and easy to maintain. Not aware of time until the last ten minutes, but prior to that it was a place of great contentment and i felt a SOLID AS A ROCK or that was the image i felt in my mind ... this feels soooo tight. Then i had this rush (well more slow motion than rush) of feeling, of static coming up my right arm and back towards my head and unfortunately i thought "What the ***** was that and as soon as i thought the thought the feeling and static were gone ... Evaporated without trace. Don't know if that was a sign of a nimitta. Later on i had the familiar feeling of pin and needles in my hands, which i had started to think might be where my nimitta might show itself, as i've had them for a long time in general sitting - unconcentrated.

Access concentration... After listening to a Dharma talk by Leigh Brasington called instructions for Jhana 1 ... i maybe think that what i had was most likely a very pleasant 50 minutes of access concentration. It was so hard to leave, the only reason that i finished at the 1 hour mark was so as to enjoy my achievement with myself. Silly reason i know but go figure.
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 11 Years ago at 12/5/12 12:13 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/5/12 12:13 AM

RE: Samadhi!!!!! ....or just access concentration

Stuart Charles Law:

Very quickly, as has happened once quite a while back, i was into the "Beautiful Breath" .... Well before the first bell, so i would say 7 to 10 minutes into my sit i was in a place of delicious concentration very easy to be in, and any time it felt, or was under attack it was just a matter of going back to the breath and resharpening the thing ... so all in all a nice place to be and easy to maintain.

Not aware of time until the last ten minutes, but prior to that it was a place of great contentment and i felt a SOLID AS A ROCK or that was the image i felt in my mind ... this feels soooo tight.

Access concentration... After listening to a Dharma talk by Leigh Brasington called instructions for Jhana 1 ... i maybe think that what i had was most likely a very pleasant 50 minutes of access concentration. It was so hard to leave, the only reason that i finished at the 1 hour mark was so as to enjoy my achievement with myself. Silly reason i know but go figure.

Nope. You were in samadhi. Way past access concentration. Your description of it confirms it (for me, at least).
thumbnail
Stuart Charles Law, modified 11 Years ago at 12/5/12 1:46 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/5/12 1:46 AM

RE: Samadhi!!!!! ....or just access concentration

I appreciate your opinion Ian. thank you for taking the time to contribute. I have just lifted my sitting time to 4 hours a day about a month ago and things are starting to happen. I think it might be time to open a practice log. I would love help on this astounding journey.

Breadcrumb