investigate the conditions that lead to their arising: the latter he must
scrupulously avoid.(??????)
The meditator must also understand the appropriate
antidotes for each of the five hindrances. The Buddha says that all the
hindrances arise through unwise consideration (ayoniso manasikara) and that
they can be eliminated by wise consideration (yoniso manasikara). Each
hindrance, however, has its own specific antidote. Thus wise consideration of
the repulsive feature of things is the antidote to sensual desire; wise
consideration of loving-kindness counteracts ill will; wise consideration of the
elements of effort, exertion and striving opposes sloth and torpor; wise
consideration of tranquillity of mind removes restlessness and worry; and
wise consideration of the real qualities of things eliminates doubt (S.v,105-
106).

I would really appreciate further advice for dealing with these hindrances. I'm a lil bit confused...
Or is it enough to "just breathe" and the hindrances will get weaker by themselves?

Is it profitable to note these hindrances? If yes, it is better to mix it with other phenomena to note(like sound, talk, image, touch,...) or just "look for these hindrances"(just noting these hindrances when they appear?

Or are there any other practices which helped you, regarding these hindrances?

In the last paragragh Gunaratana talked about the antidotes for the hindrances? How and when can I apply them? (During samatha practice?)

I would really appreciate some thoughts on this topic. How did you solve this problem?

Questions, Questions, Questions,... =) I would be very grateful for some answers, because questions like these tickle and sting me during my practice and that distractes me.

Metta, Julian
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 11 Years ago at 12/10/12 6:19 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/10/12 6:19 PM

RE: How to deal with the 5 Hindrances

Vuko Hila:
In the last paragragh Gunaratana talked about the antidotes for the hindrances? How and when can I apply them? (During samatha practice?)

I would really appreciate some thoughts on this topic. How did you solve this problem?

Questions, Questions, Questions,... =) I would be very grateful for some answers, because questions like these tickle and sting me during my practice and that distracts me.

It might help us to know which hindrances you are having trouble with. And what have you tried that has not worked. Are there any hindrances that are playing havoc with your ability to meditate?

Generally speaking, the establishment of mindfulness (and bare attention to this very moment) before embarking on meditation is always helpful with regard to combating the hindrances.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 12/10/12 6:35 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/10/12 6:34 PM

If you are using jhanas to keep the hindrances at bay then you have to keep applying attention and sustaining it long enough for this to happen:

Jhana factors

Jhana Factors
1. Applied Thought eliminates Drowsiness and laziness
2. Sustained thought eliminates Doubt,
3. Joy or Rapture eliminates Ill Will,
4. Peaceful Happiness eliminates Restlessness
5. One-pointed Concentration eliminates Sensual Desire.

Eventually you should turn to insight practice where you don't force thoughtlessness and just pay attention to hindrances arising and passing away on their own accord. You just have to pay attention to it/not cling with obsessive thoughts and let the mind quiet on it's own. In the end it's more efficient but I started with jhanas first.
thumbnail
Voku Hila, modified 11 Years ago at 12/11/12 7:29 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/11/12 6:48 AM

Ian And:

It might help us to know which hindrances you are having trouble with. 1) And what have you tried that has not worked. 2) Are there any hindrances that are playing havoc with your ability to meditate?

3)Generally speaking, the establishment of mindfulness (and bare attention to this very moment) before embarking on meditation is always helpful with regard to combating the hindrances.

1) sometimes there arises a state (lasting from seconds to days), in which doubt gets overwhelmingly powerful and distractes my meditation. This phenomena is relatively unrelated to a certain type of meditation. But Do-Nothing seems to be relatively resistant to it.

2) Yes, Doubt. In meditation and in other aspects of my life. I started now to label doubt every time thoughts and feelings of "not doing things correctly" or self-doubt arises. Doubt can be in the past and future, but also in the presence (for example while writing this text)

I have the subjective feeling that doubt has some responsebility for the other hindrances. It seems to be the root hindrance, if that's possible.

3)ok. But doubt seems to be a very bitchy bulldog, which needs a special treatment.

thx for the reply!
thumbnail
Voku Hila, modified 11 Years ago at 12/11/12 7:00 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/11/12 7:00 AM

Richard Zen:
1) If you are using jhanas to keep the hindrances at bay then you have to keep applying attention and sustaining it long enough for this to happen:

Jhana factors

Jhana Factors
1. Applied Thought eliminates Drowsiness and laziness
2. Sustained thought eliminates Doubt,
3. Joy or Rapture eliminates Ill Will,
4. Peaceful Happiness eliminates Restlessness
5. One-pointed Concentration eliminates Sensual Desire.

2) Eventually you should turn to insight practice where you don't force thoughtlessness and just pay attention to hindrances arising and passing away on their own accord. You just have to pay attention to it/not cling with obsessive thoughts and let the mind quiet on it's own. In the end it's more efficient but I started with jhanas first.

1) ah ok.... that means "just breathing" can/will do the job =) that would be cool

2) Yes I now come from insight practice (Noting, Do-Nothing). Originally I also started with jhanas... unknowingly... I just concentrated on the breath. And then switched to insight practice. But now I think that I miss samatha somehow. I think I am going to do both now. (samatha-vipassana)

thx for the reply!

Breadcrumb