e-sangha "scandal"

thumbnail
S Pro, modified 14 Years ago at 2/22/10 3:41 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 2/22/10 3:41 PM

e-sangha "scandal"

Just for the sake of curiosity, have you heard of the e-sangha controversy?
It was a pretty cool website I used to hang out on.
They sadly are closed down. Rumours are they were policing opinions in the context of the New Kadampa/ Dorje Shugden discussion. Sad that the buddhist community is in no way better tha others....
Cheers
Sven
Susan Law, modified 14 Years ago at 2/23/10 12:42 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 2/23/10 12:42 PM

RE: e-sangha "scandal"

S. Pro:
Just for the sake of curiosity, have you heard of the e-sangha controversy?
It was a pretty cool website I used to hang out on.
They sadly are closed down. Rumours are they were policing opinions in the context of the New Kadampa/ Dorje Shugden discussion. Sad that the buddhist community is in no way better tha others....
Cheers
Sven

I was a member of e-sangha. Indeed they were monitoring the site for content. There were various traditions that were not accepted - the New Kadampa tradition was one of them. Bottom line is that some differences of opinion can not be resolved - the stance of the New Kadampa tradtion in regard to most Tibetan Buddhist lineages is an example of this. Some way has to be found to allow reasoned and even compassionate discussion to go on anyhow. Group guidelines are important for this reason. E-sangha had a lot of guidelines. But then, they had a lot of members - more than 10,000 active and over 100,000 registered.

Sometimes groups get rule-bound - almost crippled by having too many rules. A nun I knew years ago who belonged to a convent where life was ruled by a large number of rules, said, "I think the rules are made for those who don't belong here." If the Buddhist community were made up of realized beings, there would be many fewer problems. Unfortunately, E-sangha didn't have enlightenment as a membership requirement emoticon

It was a great place and a very irritating place. Tons of excellent information and lots of junk. They seemed to be getting a bit more rigid toward the end, but they didn't close down. They were hacked - very badly hacked - and were unable to recover any of their data-base and start up again. I don't know if anyone knows who did it.

Breadcrumb