Not Looking for Enlightenment

thumbnail
The Xzanth, modified 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 5:54 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 5:54 PM

Not Looking for Enlightenment

I love to meditate and enjoy the transformation of my personality and habits that have resulted from the practice. While I used to crave and look forward to mystical experiences (mostly Out of Body Experiences) today I have very little interest for these or other special states. I only want to be more present to serve my fellows. I am concerned that if I continue to increase my practice I might again fall victim to what I perceive as imbalanced ecstatic states.

Anything I could do to keep it real (and grounded)? I certainly don't want to feel special... I would rather not think about myself at all. lol.
thumbnail
The Xzanth, modified 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 6:36 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 6:36 PM

RE: Not Looking for Enlightenment

Getting my own answers... nothing to do about it. Gotta tolerate the weird with the normal, the confusing with the simple and whatever (relatively mistaken) ideas of self I have left. Of course I am still open to reading about other perspectives to this issue.
thumbnail
N A, modified 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 6:51 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 6:51 PM

Well have you read MCTB?
thumbnail
The Xzanth, modified 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 7:07 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 7:07 PM

Nope. But give me a moment and I will rectify that. :-)
Change A, modified 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 9:10 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 9:10 PM

Daniel Gravel:
Anything I could do to keep it real (and grounded)?

You should incorporate some physical practices with your sitting practice such as yoga or mindful stretching. Being grounded in the body will keep it real and grounded.
Jason , modified 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 9:57 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 9:57 PM

Daniel Gravel:
I love to meditate and enjoy the transformation of my personality and habits that have resulted from the practice. While I used to crave and look forward to mystical experiences (mostly Out of Body Experiences) today I have very little interest for these or other special states. I only want to be more present to serve my fellows. I am concerned that if I continue to increase my practice I might again fall victim to what I perceive as imbalanced ecstatic states.

Anything I could do to keep it real (and grounded)? I certainly don't want to feel special... I would rather not think about myself at all. lol.

Sometimes the side-effects of keeping it really real include transient "mystical" states, but enlightenment is not a state. The practice is to observe all states - pleasant, unpleasant, and bizarre - dispassionately. That leads to insight and transformation. Of course, there are a lot of ways to practice, but my guess is that if you're pursuing meditation seriously you're going to encounter different aspects of your mind no matter what. That's okay, as long as you see them for what they are (whatever that is). I think your wariness will keep you in good stead.
Frederick Meyer, modified 11 Years ago at 2/3/13 1:59 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/3/13 1:59 PM

I think I agree with Some Guy. When I see videos of people I believe to be enlightened, they're not trippy and far-out--they're very grounded, very compassionate, and also joyful in a quiet way.

So I'd say your skepticism is great, but I'd add that if you do start feeling intense joy that also feels connected to truth, peace, and groundedness, please don't reject it as "not normal enough." That joy could be an expression of your sanity, rather than some trippy delusion.

Hope this helps, and best wishes to you!

Breadcrumb