Nice insight on Suffering (as cars go by)

thumbnail
PP, modified 11 Years ago at 1/6/13 9:57 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/6/13 9:55 PM

Nice insight on Suffering (as cars go by)

Hi,

I'm trying to observe closely the 3C's, specially Suffering, which I haven't paid enough attention yet, in favor of Impermanence. I do observe excess of tension both in unpleasant and pleasant sensations, and sometimes manage to drop it, which is quite nice. But many times it happens on its own once it's observed, that is, I'm not exerting consciously any effort in dropping the tension, other than observing it.

Tonight, while trying to get to my car, parked in a busy street, I couldn't find it. An old and clumsy car was passing by. If I would have seen it in another situation, I would have probably blindly cataloged it as ugly. But as I was searching for my car, I found myself observing different parts of the car, it's lines and odd asymmetry. For a brief second, I suspended judgement over pleasantness of the object, in a short wonder state, observing the parts and not the whole of it.

To some extent, I kept doing that with other parked cars. Then I broaden the scope to anything on site. It strike me that I could watch a phrase written in a window shop, and not seeing the meaning of the words but the strokes that compose each letter.

Question: Is noting/labeling a method intended (among other things) to suspend the primary act of aversion/attraction? Because, the more things you see at the moment, the more time should need the mind to fire "pleasant" or "unpleasant, isn't it?

Link to my practice log.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 1/6/13 10:19 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/6/13 10:19 PM

RE: Nice insight on Suffering (as cars go by)

Pablo . P:
Question: Is noting/labeling a method intended (among other things) to suspend the primary act of aversion/attraction? Because, the more things you see at the moment, the more time should need the mind to fire "pleasant" or "unpleasant, isn't it?

For example: In the wintertime when I feel cold I have two choices. I could pay attention to the impermanence of the cold (different tingling) or I could think about warming myself up ASAP. By paying attention to details with consistency, and letting thoughts of aversion to naturally pass away, the reactivity is less (but it's still there). There may even be pleasant elements to the cold that would be ignored normally. The trick is to let go of the craving or aversion thought bubbles after they arise because they will arise so quickly. As you let go and practice at it over years the reactivity should atrophy a bit at a time. You want to decondition the automatic reactivity because it's quite possible to react too much and too often over small things simply because of conditioning.

Since the mind labels objects and decides whether they are pleasant, neutral or unpleasant the best thing to do is not prevent it but to let go of the thought formations that continue those cravings or aversions. As you see them pass away you realize that they are also impermanent and with patience you can allow alot of cravings and aversions to pass away before you react and make a decision. If bad speech is appearing in your mind for example you don't have to identify it as a self and you can let go of it into your automatic senses preventing a regretable action. When you let go it's okay to smile and move on with life.

I hope that helps!
thumbnail
PP, modified 11 Years ago at 1/7/13 12:54 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/7/13 12:54 AM

RE: Nice insight on Suffering (as cars go by)

Crystal clear, thanks Richard!

Breadcrumb