Burmese Retreat Centers

O S S, modified 11 Years ago at 1/10/13 8:17 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/10/13 8:17 PM

Burmese Retreat Centers

Hi there,

I've been practicing vipassana in the Goenka tradition for 6 years. I've done 6 ten day retreats, but am feeling ready to make a more serious long term commitment. I'm hoping to do a 60 days or more at a vipassana center in Asia, and am drawn to the centers in Burma, most likely in the Mahasi tradition. I've looked into it a bit, and have found a few centers, but would love to know more about them. Specifically, I'm curious about the Yeiktha centers, and in particular, the forest center in Hmawbi. Does anyone have thoughts or guidance to share? Anyone know something about the Yeiktha teachers, or have another teacher in Burma or elsewhere in Asia to strongly recommend?

Gratefully,

O
Be Free Now, modified 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 3:38 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 3:38 PM

RE: Burmese Retreat Centers

O S S:
I've been practicing vipassana in the Goenka tradition for 6 years. I've done 6 ten day retreats, but am feeling ready to make a more serious long term commitment. I'm hoping to do a 60 days or more at a vipassana center in Asia, and am drawn to the centers in Burma, most likely in the Mahasi tradition.

Wonderful!

I did 60+ days with Sayadaw U Pandita at Panditarama Forest Monastery. It's a huge step from 10 days, but it's so wonderful. It's pretty darn strict and you can make wonderful progress. Food is ABUNDANT and everything is done so yogis feel at peace. You will have your own kuti. The teachers there are probably some of the best.
O S S, modified 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 5:00 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 5:00 PM

Free Love Chi, thanks so much for your response. I had looked into that center, and am so happy to hear that you had a positive experience there.

You're not, by any chance, the same Chi I know from North Fork, are you?

Olivia
Andre d, modified 11 Years ago at 1/12/13 5:08 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/12/13 5:08 AM

hello!

I did a long term retreat at the panditarama forest meditation as well.

It's a very nice place.
male yogis get their own kutti. female yogis stayed in another building, so I don't know If they had single rooms or not.

- there is a huge meditation hall and you get a cushion and a mosquito net.
- interviews with the sayadaw are every other day and they are very experienced and helpful
- dhamma talks are every evening
- a very good breakfast and lunch
- the schedule is a bit tougher than at a goenka retreat, but one makes lots of progress
- everyone is very helpful and if you need something they'll try to organize it for you
- nobody is really "bothering" you at the centre, so you can focus perfectly on the meditation

cons:

- lots of mosquitos
- at the beginning they play you a tape with the meditation instructions
(which is probably this one meditation instruction and you'll find it also somewhere as mp3), but I recommend to read a bit about the technique before going there to get a better understanding (for example vipassana exercises ) (but that's only my point of view)

however, the centre is awesome, the technique is great and I hope you'll make lots of progress!
so go for it!

andre
Be Free Now, modified 11 Years ago at 1/12/13 12:12 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/12/13 12:12 PM

O S S:
Free Love Chi, thanks so much for your response. I had looked into that center, and am so happy to hear that you had a positive experience there.

You're not, by any chance, the same Chi I know from North Fork, are you?

Olivia

Hi Olivia!
Andy W, modified 11 Years ago at 1/12/13 12:34 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/12/13 12:34 PM

Burmese style, but not in Burma: Panditarama Lumbini is in Nepal and is the home of Ven. Vivekananda who is a German monk and apparently very good. Yadid did a retreat with him and wrote a review.
Vi Va -, modified 10 Years ago at 6/24/13 12:10 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/24/13 1:38 AM

Panditarama sounds neat.
They have a retreat starting December 1st, might apply for that.

Does anyone know how long a westerner (european) can stay in Burma?
Do you have to arrange visum and stuff or can you just go?

-

Found answers to these questions myself at http://saddhamma.org/html/panditarama.shtml.

Breadcrumb