Access Concentration

Jay Han, modified 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 10:12 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 10:12 AM

Access Concentration

Having meditated over 10 years without any structure (mostly watching the breath), I had different experiences I'm not sure how to label. I'm currently starting to practice with a more of structure and stages in mind. Can somebody give me a description of what happens in access concentration? I want to start from the beginning. Thank you!
R P, modified 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 10:54 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 10:53 AM

RE: Access Concentration (Answer)

Hello Jay Han,

I think this is a great description of what happens during access concentration:
http://kennethfolkdharma.wetpaint.com/page/Access+Concentration

I hope this link helps!
Jay Han, modified 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 11:03 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 11:03 AM

RE: Access Concentration

RP, this is great. I appreciate your help.
thumbnail
Dan Cooney, modified 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 12:18 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 12:18 PM

RE: Access Concentration

If you are interested in the neurological technical nitty gritty, I highly recommend Brian Austin's Zen and the Brain.

But basically what happens is you bring the awareness in and with the body not looking outside, it categorizes and reapplies energetic potential - so by doing things like concentrating or focusing the awareness on the mechanisms of breath, we are accessing the "fundamental root-core" energy and utilizing it before it manifests as something, i.e. thought-stream-energy. When we look outside and stretch out with the senses, the cranial nerves react accordingly and begin their excitatory neural firings, like a powered signal antenna.

By bringing the awareness in we are either causing inhibitory neural firings, or none at all, depending on the structure in question.

Seems to be why that is basically the first technique mentioned in Taoist Yoga - fixing the spirit at the seat of awareness - combine that with streamlining and enhancing the breath protocols of the subconscious (by often adding angular momentum to the phenomena via practice) so long as you do the work sincerely, you will obtain the result. With practice, the subconscious ingrains the instruction and only requires small amounts of Yi-direction to keep the habit going.

Breadcrumb