Meditation Times

Nick F, modified 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 7:18 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 7:18 PM

Meditation Times

Hi Everybody, what is happening with me is, I have been practicing Vipassana/Samatha for about 6mo.s and have been setting a bell for 30 mins, it seem as though, My Mind is just starting to settle into A blissful State when the Bell chimes,....Like My Mind desires More, does anyone Here have any thoughts or experiences with this???? Thanks in Advance, I really find this Forum Helpful.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 9:03 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 9:03 PM

RE: Meditation Times (Answer)

Nick F:
Hi Everybody, what is happening with me is, I have been practicing Vipassana/Samatha for about 6mo.s and have been setting a bell for 30 mins, it seem as though, My Mind is just starting to settle into A blissful State when the Bell chimes,....Like My Mind desires More, does anyone Here have any thoughts or experiences with this???? Thanks in Advance, I really find this Forum Helpful.

Set the timer for 60 minutes.
lama carrot top, modified 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 10:47 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 10:47 PM

RE: Meditation Times

Stay in school.
Nick F, modified 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 11:13 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/18/13 11:13 PM

Your screen Name tells Me all I need to know about You,
carrot top:
Stay in school.
thumbnail
Dauphin Supple Chirp, modified 11 Years ago at 1/21/13 7:43 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/21/13 7:43 AM

Yes, it takes a few seconds longer to comprehend a post with bad grammar, but I think spending hours in school perfecting one's English writing skills may not be the best use of a meditator's time.

Regarding the original question: I agree with Nikolai you should increase the length of your sessions. 45 minutes to an hour is good, especially for samatha sessions. It may throw you off balance, though, if you make the change too suddenly. What I would do is set the timer to 31 minutes, then 32, etc., until you reach 45 or 60 minutes, maybe even beyond. You can increase it a minute per day or every few days, just to make sure you don't lose your rhythm.
Nick F, modified 11 Years ago at 1/21/13 11:02 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/21/13 11:02 AM

Dauphin Supple Chirp:
Yes, it takes a few seconds longer to comprehend a post with bad grammar, but I think spending hours in school perfecting one's English writing skills may not be the best use of a meditator's time.

Regarding the original question: I agree with Nikolai you should increase the length of your sessions. 45 minutes to an hour is good, especially for samatha sessions. It may throw you off balance, though, if you make the change too suddenly. What I would do is set the timer to 31 minutes, then 32, etc., until you reach 45 or 60 minutes, maybe even beyond. You can increase it a minute per day or every few days, just to make sure you don't lose your rhythm.

Thank You, That is A Helpful, And Thoughtful Answer!