"Other people reading my mind all the time"

thumbnail
Bailey , modified 11 Years ago at 2/1/13 4:18 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/1/13 4:18 PM

"Other people reading my mind all the time"

Hey, I saw a post on here where someone was talking about how it seemed as if other people were reading his mind all the time.

I can't find the post. However, I had the same problem, and know the solution to it and would like to let him know. If you know who this is or what post it is please let me know. I think it is a pretty regular poster. Thanks.
Jason , modified 11 Years ago at 2/1/13 4:33 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/1/13 4:33 PM

RE: "Other people reading my mind all the time"

I think that was CCC's post in the recent A+P thread.

http://dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/3951561

So, what's the solution?
This Good Self, modified 11 Years ago at 2/1/13 5:46 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/1/13 5:46 PM

Tin foil hat? emoticon

I'm interested. What do you do?
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 11 Years ago at 2/10/13 11:05 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/10/13 11:03 AM

Part 1

Sorry I took so long to reply.

First of all you are not reading their minds, they are reading yours. A couple situations should make this clear.

The first is time, the order of cause and effect. I many a time have had the sudden anxious urge to look up at the clock to see what time it is. I resist the urge only to see another person's eyes dart up immediately to the clock.

Another example, for a combination of reasons I currently hate waiting in certain situations. The equanimity that comes from attainments keeps it at bay but it is still present. However, if I am near someone else who gets upset for the same reason I will often get upset as well. It is as if we are not necessarily seperate individuals but rather simply an energetic field. (we are all connected at the back of our solar plexuses, sharing energ). This also occurs in traffic. I will be in a car and the car in front of my is being unnecessarily slow. I will then get pissed only to then see the car behind me make some obnoxious move and pull out in front of us all. Understand that I have seen this situation over and over and over in all aspects of my life.

Another example... if ANYONE thinks about sex during a group sitting (with about 6 people in it) I will feel it and think of sex as well. However, because of my equanimity it will then subside and further it will subside in the whole group. I am sure you are aware of the phenomena of pure beings purifying the energy around ithem. Note: I am not saying sexual energy is bad, however, during a group meditation, if you mind wanders to sex, that is an impurity.

So first thing to know... for this phenomena to occur we need to have the impurity in ourselves (even if just the root).

Now I don't plan on giving up sex, ect, but there is another more important factor. The phenomena is EXAGGERATED when we are in energetic deficit. Energy is currency. There is merit energy, there is social interaction energy, there is sexual energy ect. If you become debit with any of these energies this effect will be increased..

For example, I am in a room with my mom and dad and I am feeling my dad's emotions too much. This is interesting to me because it is happening to only my dad and not my mom. It turns out it was because I owed him merit energy. My dad has helped me out quite a lot.. finacially ect ect. On top of that he is my parent and that is a very significant thing. I am already in great debt to him (for raising me) and I should already be sending him merit. Eitherway, I go on to feel the merit deficit in my body and proceed to send the energy and the problem is fixed immediately in real time.

Another example had to do with the fact that I was eye-open meditating all the time. Even hanging out with friends even assistant teaching at school. Because of the meditation my energy was very subtle and because of the roughness of the path I was being very quiet and not contributing to the group. It was like I was gaining the benefit and energy of being around them but not giving any myself. I did have to consciously figure this out but I want to add that my mind/body system and dhamma also eventually became more balanced and evened it out.
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 11 Years ago at 2/10/13 11:04 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/10/13 11:03 AM

Part 2

Finally, what is the solution. Simply contribute to the group when you are social situations and also dedicate merit on a regular basis. Dedicate merit to your mom, to your dad, to your family, to your friends/roommates, to your co-workers, to your meditation teacher, to the head of your meditation lineage, to God(s), to Buddha, and to anyone who has helped you.

That sounds a little overwhelming but understand that once you make your way out of energetic debt you very rarely need to dedicate merit to them anymore. Now to do it simply pick one or two sources and dedicate merit to them every night. You can say you want to dedicate merit to so and so but more importantly try to feel it, sincerely. Another option is simply to simple "dedicate merit to everyone who has helped me". This is good because your body has a natural intelligence, it will send the merit where it needs to go.

Anyway, I'm tired, Blue out.

-Blue
thumbnail
The Xzanth, modified 11 Years ago at 2/10/13 2:31 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/10/13 2:31 PM

Thoughts are things. The mind is the sense organ for thoughts. We are not reading minds, we are sensing thoughts which are 'floating' around.
This Good Self, modified 11 Years ago at 2/10/13 6:17 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/10/13 6:15 PM

Blue .:
Part 1

Sorry I took so long to reply.

First of all you are not reading their minds, they are reading yours. A couple situations should make this clear.

The first is time, the order of cause and effect. I many a time have had the sudden anxious urge to look up at the clock to see what time it is. I resist the urge only to see another person's eyes dart up immediately to the clock.

Another example, for a combination of reasons I currently hate waiting in certain situations. The equanimity that comes from attainments keeps it at bay but it is still present. However, if I am near someone else who gets upset for the same reason I will often get upset as well. It is as if we are not necessarily seperate individuals but rather simply an energetic field. (we are all connected at the back of our solar plexuses, sharing energ). This also occurs in traffic. I will be in a car and the car in front of my is being unnecessarily slow. I will then get pissed only to then see the car behind me make some obnoxious move and pull out in front of us all. Understand that I have seen this situation over and over and over in all aspects of my life.

Another example... if ANYONE thinks about sex during a group sitting (with about 6 people in it) I will feel it and think of sex as well. However, because of my equanimity it will then subside and further it will subside in the whole group. I am sure you are aware of the phenomena of pure beings purifying the energy around ithem. Note: I am not saying sexual energy is bad, however, during a group meditation, if you mind wanders to sex, that is an impurity.

So first thing to know... for this phenomena to occur we need to have the impurity in ourselves (even if just the root).

Now I don't plan on giving up sex, ect, but there is another more important factor. The phenomena is EXAGGERATED when we are in energetic deficit. Energy is currency. There is merit energy, there is social interaction energy, there is sexual energy ect. If you become debit with any of these energies this effect will be increased..

For example, I am in a room with my mom and dad and I am feeling my dad's emotions too much. This is interesting to me because it is happening to only my dad and not my mom. It turns out it was because I owed him merit energy. My dad has helped me out quite a lot.. finacially ect ect. On top of that he is my parent and that is a very significant thing. I am already in great debt to him (for raising me) and I should already be sending him merit. Eitherway, I go on to feel the merit deficit in my body and proceed to send the energy and the problem is fixed immediately in real time.

Another example had to do with the fact that I was eye-open meditating all the time. Even hanging out with friends even assistant teaching at school. Because of the meditation my energy was very subtle and because of the roughness of the path I was being very quiet and not contributing to the group. It was like I was gaining the benefit and energy of being around them but not giving any myself. I did have to consciously figure this out but I want to add that my mind/body system and dhamma also eventually became more balanced and evened it out.

It sounds like you're saying that if you send people energy, then they won't read your thoughts.

It's easy for me to feel gratitude towards certain people, but that has not stopped them doing or saying what I'm thinking.
thumbnail
Alesh Vyhnal, modified 11 Years ago at 3/1/13 7:52 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/1/13 7:52 AM

Thought broadcasting, together with thought insertion, thought withdrawal and thought blocking are positive and probably the most conclusive diagnostic symptoms of schizophrenia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_broadcasting
thumbnail
Joshua, the solitary, modified 11 Years ago at 3/1/13 12:55 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/1/13 12:55 PM

Alesh Vyhnal:
Thought broadcasting, together with thought insertion, thought withdrawal and thought blocking are positive and probably the most conclusive diagnostic symptoms of schizophrenia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_broadcasting

You are saying these people are crackers?
thumbnail
Alesh Vyhnal, modified 11 Years ago at 3/1/13 2:04 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/1/13 2:04 PM

I am not sure I understand the word "cracker" but if the man really suffers from schizophrenia, which the symptom indicates, he should seek professional help.

Breadcrumb