Strange "Jamais Vous" experiences

Ali J Jo, modified 11 Years ago at 2/9/13 1:43 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/9/13 1:43 PM

Strange "Jamais Vous" experiences

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could help with a retrospective dharma diagnosis?

I originally started meditating to help resolve a few issues with anxiety but for the first year or so I saw absolutely no effect. In retrospect it was probably due to me having an extremely poor routine, e.g I would often aim to sit for 20 minutes and then get up after 5 to eat my breakfast. Anyway about 6 months ago I did manage to finally crack a routine and began meditating consistently everyday. I also started incorporating daily mindfulness practise in to my day to day life by trying to be aware of sounds, feeling etc around me. Quite soon after this I noticed a few things change. For one occasionally I would experience a deep calm and or happyness that I couldn't explain. Often it was pleasurable but often I started to push away the experiencce as it didn't feel normal (I am aware this is silly but I couldn't help it)

I also noticed my ability to become aware of things around me improve and I became much better at being in the present. However, occasionally I would often be struck with these experiences where every sense became very intense and I was aware of details that I hadn't been aware of before. In these experiences, visually, everything looked more vibrant and looking at objects was coupled with a slight sense of 'jamais vous', as if I hadn't seen familiar objects before. The thing that scared me slightly was that I could make many comparisons with this experience to a one time experience I had on LSD. For that reason it threw me slight paranoia that I might be experiencing some kind of flash-back of sorts. I was aware that it was probably meditation induced but I just was surprised at the intensity of the experience after such little practise.

Anyway fairly soon after I had a short break from my meditation practise due to moving house but have since regained my regular practise, however these experiences have stopped happening.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?
thumbnail
Joshua, the solitary, modified 11 Years ago at 2/9/13 3:06 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/9/13 3:06 PM

RE: Strange "Jamais Vous" experiences

I suppose you built up a bit of momentum in your practice for the first time and brought your 'cutting edge' of attention up to the nana of mind & body and/or cause and effect. At this stage of your practice, meditation is like knocking on the door over and over again with no response. Keep at it though, and you will reach a stage where the meditation is doing you, rather than you doing it (getting your cutting edge up to the arising and passing away nana).

I think I understand your descriptions. It may be that psychedelics temporarily rocket your attention up through to the fifth nana, so you can expect more of these experiences in the future if you keep up the meditation to the arising and passing away event, then the trippyness cools down again...for a while.
thumbnail
Martin M, modified 11 Years ago at 2/9/13 7:39 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/9/13 7:39 PM

RE: Strange "Jamais Vous" experiences

Hi,

Ali J Jo:

I also noticed my ability to become aware of things around me improve and I became much better at being in the present. However, occasionally I would often be struck with these experiences where every sense became very intense and I was aware of details that I hadn't been aware of before. In these experiences, visually, everything looked more vibrant and looking at objects was coupled with a slight sense of 'jamais vous', as if I hadn't seen familiar objects before. The thing that scared me slightly was that I could make many comparisons with this experience to a one time experience I had on LSD. For that reason it threw me slight paranoia that I might be experiencing some kind of flash-back of sorts. I was aware that it was probably meditation induced but I just was surprised at the intensity of the experience after such little practise.

Anyway fairly soon after I had a short break from my meditation practise due to moving house but have since regained my regular practise, however these experiences have stopped happening.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

reads to me like EE´s (excellence experiences) or PCE´s (pure consciousness experiences)
you might wanna compare your report with those here: http://actualfreedom.com.au/actualism/others/corr-pce.htm

another quote that might be of interest:

Richard, The Actual Freedom Trust Mailing List, Alan, 25.7.2000:
As for jamais vu: while jamais vu (‘never seen’) is not so common as déjà vu (‘already seen’), it can be just as compelling. Jamais vu is the opposite of déjà vu: instead of being extra familiar, as in déjà vu, a familiar situation seems totally unfamiliar. The world of people, things and events are experienced as for the first time … there is little or no connection between long-term memory and perceptions from this moment. When a person is in this state nothing they experience seems to have anything to do with the past; everything suddenly becomes novel, totally new.
The sense of knowing people or things or events – and knowing how to relate to them – simply vanishes. Details one has seen a thousand times suddenly become engaging; the background is as equally important as the figure that occupies centre-stage. Or, as someone wrote on a now-defunct mailing list some time ago: ‘jamais vu is a feeling that you have never seen anything around you; it seems like everything around you is new and you’ve never been there before – as opposed to déjà vu when everything seems like you’ve lived it before – and you feel that you’ve never done this particular thing before, even when you know you have’.
Incidentally, there are four types of déjà vu that clearly delineate between associated, but different, neurological experiences. These are déjà vecu (already experienced), déjà senti (already felt) and déjà visité (already visited) and déjà entendu (already heard). Déjà vecu is the most common déjà vu experience and involves the sensation of having done something or having been in an identical situation before and knowing what will happen next. These sensations are not only experienced as the outstanding sensations – seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and touching – but can also include the proprioceptive sensations.[1]

[1]http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/library/topics/asc-pce.htm