What's this

paul raymond connellan, modified 11 Years ago at 2/13/13 10:29 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/13/13 10:29 PM

What's this

G'Day Fellas, whilst doing noting of sensations an unpleasant sensation arose and doing the normal three characteristics noting, the sensation was hanging around so i moved a bit closer to the sensation then the sense of body and mind disappeared and a bright white light came on, this experience lasted for what seemed like a few seconds. To me it was pure empty awareness, beautiful. Now have a deep understanding of Mahayana Emptiness and Dependant Origination.
Lara D, modified 11 Years ago at 2/14/13 11:39 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/14/13 11:39 AM

RE: What's this

It sounds like A&P phenomena to me!

From page 176 of MTCB:

"Visions, unusual sensory abilities (such as seeing nearby things through one’s closed eyelids), out of body experiences, and especially bright lights tend to arise to the meditator, sometimes first as jewel-tone sparkles and then as a bright white light (“I have seen the light!”)."

Also, check out this article:

http://integrateddaniel.info/the-arising-and-passing-away/
thumbnail
Fitter Stoke, modified 11 Years ago at 2/14/13 2:25 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/14/13 2:25 PM

paul raymond connellan:
G'Day Fellas, whilst doing noting of sensations an unpleasant sensation arose and doing the normal three characteristics noting, the sensation was hanging around so i moved a bit closer to the sensation then the sense of body and mind disappeared and a bright white light came on, this experience lasted for what seemed like a few seconds. To me it was pure empty awareness, beautiful. Now have a deep understanding of Mahayana Emptiness and Dependant Origination.

Could be A&P, but I'd like to know more about your practice leading up to this (last few weeks) to know for sure.
paul raymond connellan, modified 11 Years ago at 2/16/13 9:05 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/16/13 9:05 PM

Thanks for the replies, the practice has been walking, sitting and mindful of daily activities. Metta and breath as primary object with sensation as secondary object, when everything still taking consciousness as object. Was residing in a hermitage for a period of time, then moved to another hermitage, a few days later that experience occurred.