"Transcend" app, Meditation + Neural feedback

thumbnail
Andrew K, modified 11 Years ago at 2/23/13 3:16 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/23/13 3:16 PM

"Transcend" app, Meditation + Neural feedback

[url=http://www.techvibes.com/blog/transcend-app-will-improve-your-meditation-2013-02-20
]http://www.techvibes.com/blog/transcend-app-will-improve-your-meditation-2013-02-20

"The Android app, combined with NeuroSky’s Bluetooth-enabled MindWave Mobile headset, allows users to track and improve their meditation practices over time by reporting the quality and duration of their meditation sessions, as well as other metrics."

Anyone got a headset to be able to try this out? What are your thoughts on how useful this could potentially be?
This Good Self, modified 11 Years ago at 2/23/13 8:28 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/23/13 8:28 PM

RE: "Transcend" app, Meditation + Neural feedback

Thanks.

I've been looking at this type of thing lately. I think it's essential for anyone struggling with adverse reactions to meditation practice. I was almost ready to buy a GSR meter, but this seems a bit more modern http://www.neurosky.com/People/WhatWeDo.aspx Seems very cheap though??? I want to read some reviews.

The idea of having something that can plug into a phone is great.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 11 Years ago at 2/26/13 12:24 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/26/13 12:24 PM

Hi Andrew,
I don't know about that app but have some good experience with Emotive's EPOC Headset and some open source SW,
EPOC

Not really designed for app type mobility though.

Cheers

tom
thumbnail
Andrew K, modified 11 Years ago at 2/26/13 3:38 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/26/13 3:38 PM

tom moylan:
Hi Andrew,
I don't know about that app but have some good experience with Emotive's EPOC Headset and some open source SW,
EPOC

Not really designed for app type mobility though.

Cheers

tom

hi tom,

Funny that you mention this - I was actually going to post here asking about Emotive headsets.
What were some of your experiences with it? How did the real-time feedback affect your practice?

Somewhat tangentially, did you ever try using it as an input device for a computer (to control keyboard/mouse inputs, or program functions?)
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 11 Years ago at 2/26/13 5:07 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/26/13 5:07 PM

Hi Andrew,
I found that it wasn't the best real-time aid (for me) but functions much better as a sort of log. The suite of programs available wasn't very sophisticated as I was looking to get some modeling of basic EEG type data and to see it graphically after a sit to try to map it to my experience.

I got it to work in that way with some pretty cool software from an open source project out of france.OpenVibe which took a little tweaking and compiling but nothing beyond the average enthusiast's grasp.

The one caveat is that to access the EEG Data from the emotiv headset one needed to buy an uncheap license from that company.

The mapping was cool and I reccomnd it but could also be a way to divert one away from produtive practice.

So, bon chance!

Tom
thumbnail
Andrew K, modified 11 Years ago at 3/23/13 8:45 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/23/13 8:45 AM

Hi Tom,
what about it made it unsuitable as a real-time aid? i imagine that a big problem could be that if you're paying attention to the machine's readings, you're not paying attention to your meditation object.

i'm curious about other uses for the headset, is it responsive/capable enough to let you move a mouse cursor around a screen with any degree of ease?

Breadcrumb