Question: effects of meditation with eyes open

John Adams, modified 11 Years ago at 2/25/13 1:56 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/25/13 1:55 AM

Question: effects of meditation with eyes open

I was just recently meditating with my eyes open, noting the visual phenomena as I would with any other phenomena that passes into my consciousness. I tried this after noticing that i can keep my eyes open without drying and thus the need to blink for a good amount of time. Anyways, after about 4-5 minutes of doing this and entering deep relaxation and maintaining good equanimity my vision began pulsing in and out, in which my peripheral vision would begin fading into darkness, the fading moving towards the center of my vision. after a few of these pulses a few very strong ones came where my vision would almost completely pulse into darkness. This gave me a minor anxiety attack, which i noted and it dissipated quickly, but as a result i backed off from the meditation. I am curious if this is a normal phenomenon, and what it actually means or is. Basically any information about what was going on would be much appreciated, Thanks!
thumbnail
Joshua, the solitary, modified 11 Years ago at 2/25/13 7:12 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/25/13 7:12 AM

RE: Question: effects of meditation with eyes open

Well first of all, don't hold off on blinking. And even if you feel like blinking is a nuisance, do it on purpose, to keep your eyes watered. The results of not blinking enough will be an enforced closing of the eyes, tears streaming down the face and a runny nose. emoticon

Now, about the pulsing, it is extremely regular phenomena, as you are gaining access concentration. It is creepy the first few times, that's for sure. Do carry on, things like that are a sign of progress!

Breadcrumb