Can we offer a meta-path to stream-entry?

thumbnail
Julius P0pp, modified 14 Years ago at 3/24/10 6:54 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/24/10 6:54 AM

Can we offer a meta-path to stream-entry?

My intention is

- to keep people who come here practicing instead of wondering where they are on which map and making wrong diagnoses

- to make this site truly useful for people from other traditions, not letting them get lost in the dharma-candy-store, wondering whether to switch to vipassana, or from vipassana to a non-dual path, trying to understand something that does not need to be understood but experienced

- not to give beginners a ton of theory that does not apply to their practice either because it's too high level or because it's much much too detailed for the first cycle (Daniels maps come to my mind, don't know how many people had similar experiences with them)

- and to use a little more of the potential this awesome community has to do something no single teacher could ever do alone

So here is the site I wished I had found imemdiately when first visiting the Dharma Overground. Where I would insert more details I put a [bracket]. Remember that this thread is not for details, but to discuss whether we can agree on a meta-path and how it would look like. And I'll use samatha = concentration practice and vipassana = insight practice, regardless of the tradition. I had used tabs to write it, but they don't display as intented, neither do spaces, sorry. So here's the best I can come up with:

"The DhO-Meta-Path from zero till Stream Entry

This path is the result of the experience of this community and considered efficient by the majority of the DhO. It should help you experience your first awakening. We, the DhO, highly recommend that you follow a limited set of practices and wait at least until after stream entry with dipping into other interesting traditions and exploring the vast amount of interesting practices and techniques that exist out there. If you are a practitioner of a tradition other than Theravada, go here first (link to welcome pages for zennies, vedantists, christians, ... so the culture shock is small and the vocabulary clear), otherwise, check the [dictionary]. So here are the three phases of the DhO-path:

A) The Path:
1 Prepare yourself
[essential instructions]
2 Learn to concentrate on one object (samatha)
[general instructions]
3 Learn to see reality as it is (vipassana)
Before you begin with phase 3, you should know that you'll encounter fear, anger, misery, boredom, doubts and especially confusion in stage 3.2. So first of all, make your no-bleed-through-resolution. Know that all of these negativities are signs of progress and learn to just sit with these unpleasent feelings in silent acceptance, you do not have to do more. Otherwise, if nothing is happening, you're likely in phase 3.3. Just continue to watch your reality and don't be surprised if your pracice is not linear, but goes back and forth between 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3. If you want to finish it quickly, retreats are recommended.
3.1 A&P
cross the Arising and Passing Away Event through applying a vipassana (= seeing clearly) technique to your object of concentration. Don't get used to the bliss. Practice pure concentration and vipassana together. [insert A&P symptoms]
3.2 Dark Night
whenever unpleasant stuff as described above shows up and your practice gets difficult, accept it and don't spend your meditation time with the content. Practice vipassana.
3.3 Equanimity
unspectacular phase, be patient, relax. Don't expect anything extraordinary, reality isn't. Practice vipassana and samatha.
[I would put all the really good, precise hints and hard-won experiences here that can be found all over the DhO, like stuff from the Slacker's guide, or Daniels biggest mistake („not realizing that this is it.“), or Alan's instruction on how to deal with pain and confusion (silent acceptance), Constance's advice (take something that is simple and feels good to you, and stick with it)... all these invaluable one-liners]

B ) The Essentials: (should be tradition-independent)
1 preparation
ethical basis
ability to make resolutions
believe that you can do it
2 concentration
chose a concentration object and learn to enter the second jhana
3 insight
[don't know what to put here ...maybe: learn to see reality as it is till something profound changes, and link to a page with 1st-path-experiences / symptoms]

Examples...
C1) ...of details:

1 ethical basis:
practice one or all of a list of values (5 precepts, sermon of the mountain, ...)
just be kind to yourself and others
[resolutions, belief, ...]
2 concentration objects
breath
kasina
candle flame
whole body / Focus on Rest (S.Y.)
energy practices
metta / Focus on Positive
[all of them should be links to a page with instructions and descriptions of the first 2-4 jhanas (SOFT jhanas please) and maybe the ñanas also so people can identify them ... I equated what was A&P and dissolution with first jhana or access concentration after misdiagnosing myself pre-A&P because I could not percieve impermanence anywhere]
3 vipassana techniques
Mahasy Sayadaw noting
energy practices / Focus on Change
Shinzen Young's other four ways
surrender / choiceless awareness
zazen
C2)...of the whole path
[put your tradition here if they follow the meta-path more or less, otherwise, put them under E ... maybe C2 is better put under the welcome pages, but then if someone had not yet decided on a tradition it would be nice to have them at a glance, for example:
Magick
essentials + additionally
1) ability to do magick + familiarity with synchronicities + symbolic knowledge
3) Invocation of the Holy Guardian Angel
3.1 Knowledge and Konversation
3.2 The Abbyss
3.3 Waiting for the Union
I'd also put details on, for example, energy work here, no problem that it does mix up vipassana and samatha as far as I can say ... ]

D) optional
1) preparation
upright posture (recommended)
abdominal breathing (rec)
active relaxation (rec)
teacher or at least someone online to talk to (rec)
psychotherapy
tai chi, qi gong, hatha yoga (?)
2) concentration
brainwave entrainment
coffee emoticon
3) insight
3.1 A&P
your tips for staying grounded...
3.2 dark night
dance or music (improvised) to express and release difficult emotions
sports
[add anything that was useful for you and/or is still valuable]

E) Variants
dry insight
[explanation and pro / con / why it was not chosen as the recommended path]
strong samatha
[phase 2 till 4th jhana, insert pro / con, e.g. more time required]
non-dual
[would replace both 2 and 3, pro / con, e.g. not duable for the majority = unnecessary confusion]
[put traditions and instrucitions that fall under these three categories here as well, e.g. KFD, Vajrayana, Advaita, ... ]

And finally, invite people to contribute, to either give feedback and help us improve this thing or to write about their own tradition if it's not yet represented here.“

So what do you think? Focus on sections A and B please and treat the rest as decoration for now.
J Adam G, modified 14 Years ago at 3/24/10 11:18 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/24/10 11:15 AM

RE: Can we offer a meta-path to stream-entry?

Love the idea! I don't have the experience to make actual contributions to the content of this project, but I want to encourage it because it sounds like it could be really valuable.

I do have one tweak to offer. There's probably a high likelihood that people who are already in the dark night will encounter the meta-path document/forum/output. Perhaps there could be some instruction for how people can tell if they are likely to already be at 3.2, and if so, that they just need to go ahead and do the noting (or other vipassana practice) until either stream entry, or at a bare minimum, until they're in Equanimity strongly enough not to backslide into the dark night if they want to start practicing shamatha. Or maybe it should just say that they need to trek on through stream entry and not even mention the possibility of stopping at Equanimity, because hey -- why not just go all the way, and learn the jhanas during Review?
Chuck Kasmire, modified 14 Years ago at 3/24/10 2:38 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/24/10 2:38 PM

Hi Julius,

I appreciate your goal - it is a worthy one.
You are looking for comment on sections A and B:

The terminology of Section A is largely based on the Visudhimagga (ex: A&P, Dark Night, etc).

In the Theravada tradition based on the Visudhimagga: 'samatha = concentration practice and vipassana = insight practice' - I agree.

But in the Theravada tradition based on the Suttas it goes something like samatha = the quality of tranquility and vipassana = the quality of clear-seeing - both of which arise together through a single practice called jhana. See: One Tool Among Many

Keeping in mind that the Suttas pre-date the Visudhimaga by 800-1000 years - it seems to me we would want to present the path first in Sutta terminology and then deal with how different commentaries (such as the Visudhimagga) interpret them. Also, Buddhism outside the Burmese Theravada look to the Suttas as the root source - not the Visudhimagga.

-Chuck
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 3/25/10 2:49 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/25/10 2:49 AM

I would put in all sorts of comments various places, particularly comments about your encouragement of samatha (using Visuddhimagga-esque definition) in various places, encouraging people to learn samatha first, and many other points, including a long critique of the variations in how stages present, on your saying Equanimity might not have much going on, etc.

These are very broad topics, and just as a detailed map can confuse some people if it presents the wide range of what can happen, just so with a dumbed down map that just happened to not include what they went through.

I think that in general this place could use more of an introductory section, as it clearly is a bit intimidating to newcomers who are not already established in something, and in general that reflects some of my own predilection for teaching dharma grad school rather than dharma kindergarden, but I am glad that someone wants to take on that task, as I don't think I am the man for the job.

Write something up according to your outline, if you wish, that someone could use, and I'll look it over and we can post it on the wiki or some place like that with the other supportive writings and comments, if you wish.

Daniel
thumbnail
Julius P0pp, modified 14 Years ago at 3/25/10 11:26 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/25/10 5:26 AM

Daniel M. Ingram:

These are very broad topics, and just as a detailed map can confuse some people if it presents the wide range of what can happen, just so with a dumbed down map that just happened to not include what they went through.

Maybe it should not look like a map at all and have something more algorithmic... what was helpful for my practice was to recognise different phases of my practice and to adapt an appropriate attitude towards these while continuing my practice. I don't know whether the linearity / map-resembling structure can be thrown overboard while still offering different advice for different situations along with enough information to figure out what applies to you. In my experience it is possible to recognise an initial phase and then the phases I numbered 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3, though I know they don't appear in a line as they are supposed to do.
In my opinion a beginner (I always mean someone pre stream-entry with this, not sure whether I am one or not) can do better if he has more information than a "just that" and less than, for example, the frequencies and list of symptoms from your map if he is not into Burmese vipassana. I think your work, Daniel, apart from convincing me to get it done which is a really really good thing, will only really become useful for me after stream entry, but I am not a Mahasi-Practitioner.

Hokai used the term "deep structure". I want to ask everybody reading this: what's the deep structure of a practice that leads to stream entry in your experience? That is what I wanted to put under sections A and B. Something as detailed as the 11 ñanas I would not recommend to someone doing centered prayer as most propably it would not fit well with their experience of the process. But to understand the deep structure should be useful to christians and zennies alike. So this deep structure is what is interesting (and later to present the individual traditions and their maps for those who actually follow them in line with it). That's what I meant with "meta-path". And to get rid of the "surface structure" is the challenging task that I wanted to propose to this community. I realize I don't know how to do this in an efficient way, it could be easier if those who feel comfortable doing this "postulated" their intuitive take on the deep structure so that we could discuss several different takes on that. Or everyone could summarise their practice during that period, but that could become messy. I'd prefer that some of you who have gone further on the path write down their opinion on a meta path, and then we will see if they resemble each other and whether they can be synthesized into one thing or not.

@Chuck: very interesting. Seems like what I posted is still way above the deep structure I wanted to get to. You see I am not that familiar with Buddhism and used to the samatha-vipassana-dichotomy that is present here and at KFD habitually. I find it hard not to think within these two categories (and the non-dual as a third one), though it feels good to let go of this dual thinking. My practice was not as straight-forward as what I wrote in sections A and B, and funnily, the instructions I followed for the last months came from teachers who do not make this vishuddhimagga-esque difference (Shinzen Young and Robert Bruce). Can you sketch something more inclusive?

edit: and if anyone has a thoughtful critique of the whole thing (prioritising stream entry, synthesising our experience) he or she is definitely invited to post here.
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 14 Years ago at 3/25/10 8:47 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/25/10 8:45 AM

In my experience the deep underlying thing leading to stream-entry is dissolution/purification. This is nicely and technically described using the four jhanas, and I think every enlightened person will have gone through massive amounts of purification, regardless of their meditative tradition. Also very important insights for me where the meaning of ignorance/attachment/aversion, as they actually work in the (my?) mind, rather than as advice on "moral" conduct. I think that a map of the subtle body (chakras etc) is useful in understanding "where" dissolution needs to happen.

If you take purification as the basic process leading to insight, then vipassana is just one way of bringing it about. All of the following techniques, when correctly carried out, cause purification to happen, and each can reportedly lead to full enlightenment: mantra meditation, self-inquiry, magick (HGA practice), centered prayer, jnana meditation, bhakti and karma yoga, qigong, etc, etc. There are also techniques which increase the intensity, speed, range and stability of purification: pranayama and spinal breathing, samatha practice, colon cleansing, cleaning of the nasal pasages, diet, amaroli, fasting and other ascetic practices, etc, etc.

In my experience, as Chuck points out, these practices are more powerful when practiced together rather than separate.
Chuck Kasmire, modified 14 Years ago at 3/25/10 12:17 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/25/10 12:17 PM

Hi Julius,

A long time ago on the old DhO Hokai and I had a short exchange on a similar topic. Don't know what happened to that thread - might have made it over. Anyway, he gave the name of a fellow who if I recall correctly is a Spanish Priest - still alive - that had worked quite a bit along this line. He proposed a 'big tent' where all traditions could find some common ground. One of the difficulties he wrote about is that we tend to interpret other traditions within the context of our own. Something you mention and I also struggle with. He said that in order to really understand another tradition you really had to get right inside it and understand it in its own terms. This is from memory - if anyone knows the name of this guy can they post it?

In order to have this big tent view you pretty much require a well developed sense of inclusivity (in the Ken Wilbur sense of the word). Which also means that you have to stay above the level of specific practices and maps. Maps are only relevant to a specific tradition that employs them. For example, the progress of insight in the Visudhimaga is indispensable for Daniel - it is key to understanding how the process unfolds in his tradition. But I find it has little value for me - specifically because I wasn't carefully noting every sensation as they came and went - if I had been my teacher probably would have whacked me and said 'What are you doing!'. On the other hand, I developed quite good sense of movements and flavors of energy in the body - as that is what my practice required.

Speaking of inclusivity, consider the difficulty of sorting out the Wilburian view that Buddhahood is a moving target vs the traditional viewpoints that hold it as a fixed ideal - I think we could forget about consensus.

At a general level of process there might be some common ground. Seems like we had that to some extant a while ago on Kenneths site where some of us had come to some agreement on the essential nature of the practice- this starts around post #51 of The Great Freedom thread. If that works for Daniel then it could be a starting point.(my user name in that thread is CheleK)

But I don't think this is the deep structure that you had in mind. At this point the deep structure is probably around but has been flattened and mixed up with surface structure throughout the different traditions. Teasing the two apart and finding a language that works seems a challenge. It would be good if we could find someone to channel Hokai.

I think your idea of focusing at pre-stream entry is good (although already the terminology locks you into Buddhism!). But that isn't bad - just start with Buddhism and see if you can clean things up there for people coming to the site - that would be very useful. Beyond stream entry different traditions seem to even set different goals and that gets really sticky.

-Chuck
thumbnail
Julius P0pp, modified 14 Years ago at 3/26/10 1:47 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/26/10 1:47 PM

Chuck Kasmire:
Hi Julius,

A long time ago on the old DhO Hokai and I had a short exchange on a similar topic. Don't know what happened to that thread - might have made it over. Anyway, he gave the name of a fellow who if I recall correctly is a Spanish Priest - still alive - that had worked quite a bit along this line. He proposed a 'big tent' where all traditions could find some common ground. One of the difficulties he wrote about is that we tend to interpret other traditions within the context of our own. Something you mention and I also struggle with. He said that in order to really understand another tradition you really had to get right inside it and understand it in its own terms. This is from memory - if anyone knows the name of this guy can they post it?

The Fundamental View
This is the thread. It's the comment to an article. I'll post the whole thing because it's not accessible right now. So the guy is called Raimon Pannikar, and Hokai posted these links:
http://dlibrary.acu.edu.au/staffhome/gehall/Hall_Panikkar.htm
http://them.polylog.org/1/fpr-en.htm
Hokai Sobol:
The Importance of View
It is one of postmodern indisputable discoveries that „context is everything“ or, well, almost everything. The crucial importance of right view has been recognized by every generation of Buddhist masters. From Gautama the Buddha to Nagarjuna the "second Buddha“ to mahasiddhas of the tantric revolution to Ch'an/Zen masters...

Though formulations of the View have been shifting significantly, they retained the distinct central Buddhist purpose, namely to point out the Middle beyond extremes. Four truths and the eightfold path, dependent co-arising, emptiness, the Middle, Suchness, buddha-nature, relative and ultimate bodhicitta, no-thing-ness, one taste etc. etc. every school has brought a fresh unfolding to the lotus of clarity and a new spin to the dharma-wheel. And then the whole unfolding took a break until..... the 20th/21st century meeting of all schools and formulations.

The purpose of the View is to establish a general map-like orientation in practitioners' minds and to safeguard one's spiritual progress through the stages of the path, thus the View is one's pocket-guru (think an enlightened pokemon). Another purpose of the View is to serve as ground for culture and policy. There are what we may consider a variety of Buddhist views on as a wide range of subjects as you may think of. But then there's the View not as the totality of these particular views, but more fundamentally as the way we approach, understand, consider, and conceptualize the essential triune issue of Ground, Path and Fruition. In addition to that, at various stages of the path we are required to hold certain views that have to do with specifics of the challenge faced in our practice. Thus, the View will inform and guide one's practice as well as enable one to situate the resulting experiences in a meaningful context, thus allowing for a no-nonsense interpretation of both generalities and relevant details.

In short, cultivating the View means cultivating right understanding, by learning, examining, pondering, questioning, and experiencing for ourselves. Right understanding, in the Buddhist context, means understanding the Buddhist view, which is the middle view beyond eternalism and nihilism.

In traditional terms, prior to awakening, the View is those tenets of Dharma that guide and direct one's practice, i.e. the right view(s), accepted not as mere beliefs, but after reflecting on their meaning and checking with one's present experience. After awakening, it's those modalities and interpretations that safeguard the integration of realization into every lived experience, AND that maximize an effective sharing of realization in culture and society. As such the View has a relative and an ultimate aspect, i.e. two truths. Plus, the formulation of such View will shift with the level of structural development (see addendum). So I would say the View has three important dimensions that need to be meaningfully integrated at every step.

Every great tradition and lineage has it's own preferred formulation of the View (including the ultimate component, even if only to say they refrain from over-formulating it). In Theravada/vipassana it could be summed-up perhaps as "Four truths, dependent co-arising, and three characteristics". The second turning will emphasize emptiness, while the third turning will reveal buddha-nature. Most of these orthodoxies (lit. right views) have been codified in a premodern structural context, so that now we're struggling with a massive overhaul in which neither doing away with everything traditional nor preserving the tradition intact is an option. This website is a symptom of such an overhaul, with an emphasis on practical application and pragmatism. Enter the fourth revolution of the dharmacakra.
~ ~

The Four Seals of the Buddhist View
All compounded things are impermanent.
All phenomena are empty, without inherent existence.
All dualistic experience is intrinsically painful.
Nirvana alone is peace, and is beyond concept.

~ ~

Addendum
What we have become aware of more recently is that views and their expressions go through shifts of a deep, structural nature, sometimes called paradigm shifts. We have become aware of worldviews, contexts, and perspectives. We have awoken to evolution and deep development in all domains. Thus, as humanity we have so far gone through at least half a dozen structural and cultural emergencies. The ones we encounter alive and kicking today are traditional, modern, and postmodern, and what is common to them is that each sees the other two as being mostly if not completely wrong through and through, the product of which are the many culture wars on every possible front. Thus we have a traditional Buddhism, a modern Buddhism, and a postmodern Buddhism, not just as phases in historical emergence but also styles of upholding the teaching here and now. At Dharma Overground we tend to intuitively embrace what's best from each of these three paradigms, thus aiming for a meaningful integration of their partial truths in a truly post-sectarian context, without diluting the important differences of schools and vehicles, while endorsing a post-postmodern emergent Dharma.

Links:
Early teaching: "Discourse on right view" Translation 1, translation 2.

Plus:„Buddhism in a Nutshell“, Dzongsar Khyentse on four seals

Chuck Kasmire:
In order to have this big tent view you pretty much require a well developed sense of inclusivity (in the Ken Wilbur sense of the word). Which also means that you have to stay above the level of specific practices and maps. Maps are only relevant to a specific tradition that employs them. For example, the progress of insight in the Visudhimaga is indispensable for Daniel - it is key to understanding how the process unfolds in his tradition. But I find it has little value for me - specifically because I wasn't carefully noting every sensation as they came and went - if I had been my teacher probably would have whacked me and said 'What are you doing!'. On the other hand, I developed quite good sense of movements and flavors of energy in the body - as that is what my practice required.

Speaking of inclusivity, consider the difficulty of sorting out the Wilburian view that Buddhahood is a moving target vs the traditional viewpoints that hold it as a fixed ideal - I think we could forget about consensus.

At a general level of process there might be some common ground. Seems like we had that to some extant a while ago on Kenneths site where some of us had come to some agreement on the essential nature of the practice- this starts around post #51 of The Great Freedom thread. If that works for Daniel then it could be a starting point.(my user name in that thread is CheleK)
Hm, I only hope the moving Buddhahood is not relevant for this thread. I haven't read much of of his integral work yet. Is Wilburian inclusivity the same as integral? Tradition-independent?
I made the same experience, that the detailed maps only fit with a corresponding practice. Some quotes from the worthwhile KFD-thread:

"Yes, concentration is probably the most important aspect of all the practices that lead to enlightenment. However, I'd have to add "inquiry" or "investigation" to the equation. Practice enough concentration and investigation, and you'll get enlightened." - Jackson

"Other schools use words like 'tranquillity' and 'harmonious' instead of 'concentration' - and this also works. So maybe something like 'attentive awareness at one or more sense doors'?" - Chuck

"Yeah, I'd like to phrase it as 'undistractedness', which encompasses all of the above, with variations thereof; with the point being, that one is present to what is, in one form or another, persistent through time" - Adam

I found a good thread while searching for the "tent". The Absolute Nature of the Three Characteristics
Alan Chapman:
Consider Centred Prayer, Maharshi's Self-Enquiry and Gurdjieff's Fourth Way. None of them offer the others' 'fundamental' or 'absolute' characteristics of reality, but each leads to fruition (I'm speaking from experience).

Hokai Sobol:
Specifically, seeing the three characteristics is not identified with seeing the reality as it is, the three being precisely referred to [in Western translations] as "characteristics of existence", and existence not being identical with ultimate reality. As clear from the four seals, impermanence refers to compounded phenomena, lack of self-nature to all phenomena, and suffering to dualistic experience. (As to the fourth line, there's the Heart sutra as a widely available entry point.)

Meditation (both calm and insight) is necessary but not enough, and concepts used in the path are balanced by the View, without which methodology easily becomes a dogma. Just as, without practice, the View itself degenerates into mere doctrine.

Chuck Kasmire:
Teasing the two apart and finding a language that works seems a challenge. It would be good if we could find someone to channel Hokai.
Yes. I'll read his writing on the View again. I hadn't much time reading all the stuff I linked to in this post today. I'll try to do this tomorrow. But Hokai's take on the View seems crucial so far.

Chuck Kasmire:
At this point the deep structure is probably around but has been flattened and mixed up with surface structure throughout the different traditions. Teasing the two apart and finding a language that works seems a challenge. It would be good if we could find someone to channel Hokai.
Yes. I'll read his writing on the View again. I hadn't much time reading all the stuff I linked to in this post today. I'll try to do this tomorrow. But Hokai's take on the View seems crucial so far.

Chuck Kasmire:
I think your idea of focusing at pre-stream entry is good (although already the terminology locks you into Buddhism!).

I found yet another thread, on Mixing Traditions. I forgot it was Vince who wrote it, but I never forgot his advice to at least get 1st path before exploring different traditions, and one post later, Hokai writes something similar. Good stuff.

I didn't want to make this specifically Buddhist. Right now I believe that not only are Base, Path and Fruit tradition independent, but so are the four jhanas (falling under path) and stream entry (fruit obviously).

Now I need a little time to read all this stuff emoticon I felt that the quotes I left uncommented which I took from other threads speak for themselves, especially Hokai's comment on the Abolute Nature of the 3 C's, but I haven't read much of the context of them yet. just wanted to give everyone interested time to do so as well.
Chuck Kasmire, modified 14 Years ago at 3/27/10 12:02 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/27/10 12:02 PM

Hey Julius,
Thanks for finding that thread and the links. Lots of good stuff there.

-Chuck

Breadcrumb