getting high on jhana

Wrong Mind, modified 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 2:41 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 2:36 AM

getting high on jhana

Hello friends,

I just stumbled upon this particularly funny effort at sutta translation (taken from http://levityisland.com/buddhadust/www.buddhadust.org/sutta/dn/33_sangiti/DN33_the_compilation_4s.htm) and could not withstand the desire to share it just for the fun of it instead of simply forgetting about it and letting it go. May it be pleasing, enjoyable and inspiring to you:

[ 4.5 ] [RD] Four ways of Getting High[ 4.5 ]
There is, friends, the way of getting high that when developed and made much of results in living pleasantly in the here and now.
There is, friends, the way of getting high that when developed and made much of results in knowing and seeing.
There is, friends, the way of getting high that when developed and made much of results in a knowing one's own mind.
There is, friends, the way of getting high that when developed and made much of results in the destruction of the no-goods.

And what is it, friends, that is the way of getting high that when developed and made much of results in living pleasantly in the here and now?
Here friends a bhikkhu,
separating himself from sense pleasures, separating himself from unskillful things, still thinking and reacting with the pleasurable enthusiasm born of detachment enters into and makes a habitat of the First Burning,
then, with thinking and reacting having calmed down, attaining tranquillity, becoming single-minded, without thinking and reacting, with the pleasurable enthusiasm born of Highgetting he enters into and makes a habitat of the Second Burning,
then, dispassionate and detached from enthusiasm, living conscious and aware of bodily sense-reactions suchas those described by the aristocrats when they say 'Detached, with satisfied mind, he lives pleasantly,' he enters into and makes a habitat of the Third Burning
then, letting go of his former experiences of pleasure and pain, allowing his experience of mental ease and discomfort to subside on their own, without pleasure or pain, with utterly pure detachment of mind, he enters into and mades a habitat of the Fourth Burning.
This, friends, is that way of getting high that when developed and made much of results in living pleasantly in the here and now.

Now, with all this getting high, may you be able to stay on the ground.

This, friends, is that way of getting high that when developed and made much of results in the destruction of the no-goods.
Wrong Mind, modified 10 Years ago at 9/26/13 1:35 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/26/13 1:35 AM

RE: getting high on jhana

This may seem off-topic here. But it is just that I remember that my original intention here was, when posting this, to also post a link to this very good Dhamma talk, but somehow I forgot my thoughts on how to build the bridge towards that, in all the laughter.

Anyway, still I remember, I had this intention. So I will now just post this link to this very good Dhamma talk here (which seems not too much having directly to do with getting high on jhana, but, I think, it is just a very good Dhamma talk): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7TYcpnO0M

May you find inspiration in it.

Breadcrumb