Insight while asleep

Dee Miller, modified 11 Years ago at 3/18/13 7:09 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/18/13 7:09 PM

Insight while asleep

Hi,

Recently I noticed I am able to remain conscious if I fall asleep while performing choiceless awareness. I usually continue to meditate, and it seems to be productive. However, I lose consciousness after half an hour or so. Is there any way to lengthen the time I'm able to remain conscious?
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 11 Years ago at 3/19/13 1:40 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/19/13 1:34 AM

RE: Insight while asleep

Dee Miller:

Recently I noticed I am able to remain conscious if I fall asleep while performing choiceless awareness. I usually continue to meditate, and it seems to be productive. However, I lose consciousness after half an hour or so.

Is there any way to lengthen the time I'm able to remain conscious?

Well, what you're talking about in terms of consciousness during sleep borders on lucid dreaming. I've experienced lucid dreaming, and compared to the former its main quality seems more vibrant and alive (brightness of colors and qualia in general) than remaining conscious during sleep. Similarly to conscious sleep, it is susceptible to one's own will as far as dream content is concerned rather than being at the mercy of the subconscious mind to direct. In other words, few, if any, nightmare situations. Any ill or threat in the dream state can be easily corrected in lucid dreaming through being consciously aware of the direction of the content and consciously changing that direction.

I have also experienced what might be termed "consciousness during sleep." It might also be termed "mindfulness during sleep." And I say that last because I usually provide the mind with a resolution before I go to sleep that I will rest peacefully and wake up refreshed, alert, focused, and mindful. Often when I do this, I seem to be conscious throughout the night (especially if I am well rested from the previous sleep cycle, as opposed to not being so) even if there are dreams occurring. I even catch myself working on problems I've been thinking about during the day, and sometimes arrive as some good solutions.

So, you might try making a conscious resolution before nodding off to sleep to "remain mindful throughout the night" and see what results you achieve.
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 11 Years ago at 3/19/13 4:34 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/19/13 4:34 PM

You lose consciousness because your body realizes its time to rest ;)

Cool things can happen while you sleep. I have had many mini-attainments and maybe even a nana attainment during sleep.

-d
Dee Miller, modified 11 Years ago at 3/19/13 4:52 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/19/13 4:52 PM

yeah, i've had some pretty wild stuff during sleep (e.g. multi-colored chakra paint pouring down the back of my forehead, apparent contact with some sort of deity). that makes me think meditation is just as effective as it is when i'm awake.

if i could extend it to getting eight hours of solid practice a night, it'd be just like living on retreat, assuming no serious sleep deprivation issues entered the picture.