Any assitance managing my third eye, please?

Anta K Osotsi, modified 11 Years ago at 3/18/13 9:17 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/18/13 9:17 PM

Any assitance managing my third eye, please?

I've had an active third eye for many years, but recently I was practicing a form of meditation that was specifically targeted at opening all of the chakras. I've had an immense amount of activity in Agya, and it's driving me insane. Literally. I can't describe it very well, but it's extremely uncomfortable. How can I ease its awakening process?
Anta K Osotsi, modified 11 Years ago at 3/18/13 9:33 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/18/13 9:33 PM

RE: Any assitance managing my third eye, please?

I should probably also add that my manipura chakra has also been active, all due to the meditation. I appreciate any advice.
thumbnail
Dan Cooney, modified 10 Years ago at 4/1/13 1:04 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/1/13 1:04 PM

get out of your head ;) if you're too heady inhale it to the heart center and out to the palms and feet, better outside barefoot in grass if possible. and smile, it opens the crown. but definitely balance it out with enough grounding of your preferred method.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 4/2/13 4:45 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/2/13 4:45 AM

Any possible details? Lights? Visions? Energetic stuff? Tensions? Distortions of perception? Precognition? Voices? What's going on?
Anta K Osotsi, modified 10 Years ago at 4/29/13 3:37 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/29/13 3:37 PM

Dan Cooney:
get out of your head ;) if you're too heady inhale it to the heart center and out to the palms and feet, better outside barefoot in grass if possible. and smile, it opens the crown. but definitely balance it out with enough grounding of your preferred method.

Haha, fair enough. I haven't been grounding enough. On a positive note, my 3rd eye seems to be fully active and well balanced now. I'm extremely happy about it.
Daniel M. Ingram:
Any possible details? Lights? Visions? Energetic stuff? Tensions? Distortions of perception? Precognition? Voices? What's going on?

Apart from sporadic "visions" (nothing of great significance at the moment), geisting - intentionally and otherwise, and insights into my personality - it mostly felt like the buildup of a LOT of energy that needed to be released. It's mostly under control now though emoticon.

I appreciate all of the feedback guys!
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 10 Years ago at 5/1/13 7:53 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 5/1/13 7:53 PM

I strongly suggest you drop your current technique and start practicing one of the basic insight techniques that members of our forum have had so much success with. ie. Mahasi noting, Goenka body scanning, or Anapanasati.

Don't worry about any unique experiences good or bad, just get your technique, have a little faith and stick with it.
thumbnail
fivebells , modified 10 Years ago at 5/1/13 8:44 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 5/1/13 8:44 PM

Of those three, I would recommend anapanasati, which is actually mostly a shamatha technique. You don't really want to be doing insight practice if you feel like you're going crazy. It works best with a calm, happy, stable mind.

For all we know, he already is doing anapanasati, though. It can certainly be used to open chakras. He really hasn't given us enough details about how he's practicing or what he's experiencing for us to give him good advice yet.
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 10 Years ago at 5/2/13 12:31 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 5/2/13 12:31 AM

Lol @ anapana not being an insight practice. What meditation technique do you think the Buddha used to reach enlightenment?

It is one of the techniques listed in the Satiphattana Sutta, the source of dry insight techniques. Goenka sensation is in Satiphattana Sutta as is Mahasi noting, as is Anapana. Anytime you are simply observing reality uninterruptedly you are doing insight practice.
thumbnail
fivebells , modified 10 Years ago at 5/2/13 11:56 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 5/2/13 11:56 AM

Oh, you meant insight in the sense that Goenka or Mahasi are referred to as insight meditation. Despite being part of "insight meditation," Goenka body scanning and Mahasi noting are actually concentration practices until you start seeing the three characteristics. Since you said insight techniques, I thought you were suggesting that he bring the 3Cs into it (i.e., insight in the sense of the three teachings.)

Breadcrumb