Goenka retreat EQ question

Scott P, modified 11 Years ago at 3/23/13 6:08 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/23/13 6:08 AM

Goenka retreat EQ question

Hi guys, hope this is placed in the correct forum.

I'm off on a 10 day Goenka retreat next week. It will be the first time I have tried the Goenka method, usually I do noting/bare awareness. I found this quote from Tarin from an old thread http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/650316 - was wondering if I should try this technique when in EQ? Or would this be breaking sila?

"the advice u ba khin (goenka's teacher) would often give his students when he'd discerned that they'd reach equanimity regarding formations would be to stop scanning and to instead rest their attention at the chest area with an appreciation of anicca (impermanence characteristic).

goenka does teach this, but not until the 30 day course, when students are instructed to do this if they've already performed the spot-checks on the surface of the body (and have found no blockages), have gone inside the body (and have found no blockages), and have gone up and down the spine (and have found no blockages). my impression is that this very high standard for concentration in equanimity nana is an unnecessary complication and may end up serving as an obstacle to some. as long as your comprehension of the three characteristics is developed and thorough enough, it will suffice to give rise to conformity nana."

If anyone has any hints or advice on Goenka retreats for people who have never tried the technique before (but have experience of noting etc) then please do share. I have been reading through old threads and posts trying to gather information. Previously I have been hitting low eg/high eq daily but may have started on a new path (giving things time to settle before I can tell)

Thanks for reading!

Scott

Breadcrumb