Practice and CFS sufferer

Rod C, modified 11 Years ago at 3/25/13 4:19 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/25/13 4:19 AM

Practice and CFS sufferer

An lifelong friend of mine has had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) for the past 6 years, probably longer given the number of misdiagnoses he had before that. It appears to be gradually getting worse - he needs to maintain a pretty strict lifestyle with regular rests/naps through the day and very limited walking/physical activity.

He has been interested in developing a practice for some time now and had attended a Jack Kornfield meditation course in the US a few years ago. He finds concentrating/focusing for any length of time which makes meditating very hard. I suggested 5 minute sessions 3 times a day and gradually developing it from there in terms of duration - just watching the breath. I also suggested noting as a means of developing 'micro concentration'. Whilst he hasn't started this yet I was keen to put this out there and see if anyone has any experience or advice for someone practicing with this condition?

Another question - has anyone found that meditational and dharma practice eases the symptoms of this condition?
Thanks in advance and best wishes to all.
thumbnail
Alesh Vyhnal, modified 11 Years ago at 3/25/13 10:30 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/25/13 10:30 AM

RE: Practice and CFS sufferer

I have been suffering from a sudden onset mystery brain and immune system disease for nearly 15 years. Almost surely there is not any clearly defined nosological unit called CFS. It is just a dust bin diagnosis. The diagnostic criteria are too vague. Your friend either hasn't so far obtained the correct diagnosis of a known disease or he suffers from a so far unknown disease. This assertion is based on my constant 15 years long investigation of and thinking about "CFS". In my case the best what current neurology can offer is a hypothesis of a neurotropic infection, most probably Lyme disease and also toxoplasma gondii and herpesviridae family pathogens. The sad fact is that "CFS" patients are usually so sick that any kind of meditation is not possible. Thanks to immunoglobulins and antidepressants and other neuro drugs I am now able to meditate nearly every day up to 3 hours divided to smaller time intervals. During the years I was very sick mediation was either not possible at all or it had no influence on my condition.
thumbnail
Alesh Vyhnal, modified 11 Years ago at 3/25/13 10:39 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/25/13 10:39 AM

Now it seems meditation helps me. In my "CFS" there is probably some neurovascular damage since I have a highly abnormal SPECT scan of my brain, so meditation probably helps maintain or achieve a better brain perfusion. See the wiki page on the multifarious health benefits of meditation.
Rod C, modified 11 Years ago at 3/25/13 3:26 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/25/13 3:26 PM

Thanks for your replies Alesh, I have check with my friend and he actually has the following conditions 'myalgic encephalomyelitis' which he agrees is far more diagnostic than CFS as you rightly put is a dust bin of conditions grouped under the title. Its great that you have been able to meditate with the help of medication. Will check out the wiki page.
Thanks emoticon

Breadcrumb