Message Boards Message Boards

Non-specific/Broad/Generic

Thoughts seen as not-self

Toggle
Thoughts seen as not-self
Answer
4/11/13 8:22 AM
Hi,

Usually I can see nowadays proto-thoughts***, words and phrases coming in as not-self. Though they are labelled like that, they are heard/perceived physically in my head or the (very) close surroundings. But, today I had a weird perception, as words/phrases were coming from a distant (non-specific) place.

I'm curious: is this an expected insight regarding centerlessness? Or just a weird experience?

*** ill-formed words & phrases, the mind trying to give a meaning to external stimulus creating thoughts by connecting dots, or mimicking sounds transforming into words.

RE: Thoughts seen as not-self
Answer
4/11/13 10:16 AM as a reply to PP.
Could you elaborate? I'm not sure I'm getting a read on what you're describing.

Answer
4/11/13 12:57 PM as a reply to PP.
Just a weird experience. Probably not worth following up on.

Answer
4/11/13 1:12 PM as a reply to PP.
Let them come in as not-self and go out as not-self

Answer
4/11/13 9:59 PM as a reply to PP.
Make sure you look at everything (including meditation/intentions/paying attention/etc) as just more experiences. Experiences being phenomenon that is ephemeral. Look at meditation as just another experience. When you get a feeling of an out of body experience while still being in the body and feeling totally normal then you're getting into anatta. It's almost like a hologram or a show.

EDIT: When you see things at a distance know that the mind is extrapolating distance. The light is hitting your eye (no distance at all).

Answer
4/11/13 10:30 PM as a reply to PP.
@Laurel: I'm not sure I can elaborate more. What I wanted to ask if there's a kind of progression in seeing thoughts as not-self, from perceiving them first in a specific location (the usual, in the head), and later on in the meditation path without a specific location. The experience I'm describing is the second one, where the words come from an non-specific place or perhaps from a distant place.

Because of the experience, I couldn't resist the temptation of connecting it to how Daniel describes the shift in mantras across the fist four vipassana jhanas (MCTB pages 253-254). I thought that hearing from a distant place may be related to 3rd and 4th jhanas. Or that non-specific place be something related to the centerlessness that 4th Pathers describe.

@fivebells & @MB: Yes, probably not worth following up on. I was just curious and haven't read much in DhO about details on how thoughts are perceived went noted as not-self (eg. location, pitch, ecos, related physical sensations, etc).

Answer
4/11/13 10:34 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Good tips Richard, thanks! I can relate to the OBE experience while still being in the body.

DhO Upgrade happening now! Stop posting until complete.

General

Dear All, The remarkable Manish is about to backup and upgrade Liferay to Liferay 7. This is the fundamental platform on which the DhO runs. As such, anything posted from about now (January 23, Saturday, at around noon Central Time) will likely be lost until the upgrade is complete. Thus, stop posting anything you wish to last now until this is done! Thanks! -Daniel, Owner of the DhO

Announcements Announcements