Tests of attention

thumbnail
Eric G, modified 11 Years ago at 4/13/13 9:34 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/13/13 9:34 AM

Tests of attention

I was thinking about a test of attention I took years ago, the TOVA or Test of Variables of Attention. There is a generic version, the Test of Attentional Vigilance and (others). And many other similar tests, I'm sure others are more knowledgeable.

How cool would it be to do some research on meditation's effects on these tests? How cool would it be to (gulp) compare one form of meditation to another? I'm wondering if these would be able to tease out subtle differences among more advanced practitioners (I suspect these would be pretty easy for advanced practitioners to max these out.), but I think this could be really interesting for beginners or so. One might see a measurable improvement and the value of meditation.
End in Sight, modified 11 Years ago at 4/13/13 11:10 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/13/13 11:10 AM

RE: Tests of attention

Eric G:
I was thinking about a test of attention I took years ago, the TOVA or Test of Variables of Attention. There is a generic version, the Test of Attentional Vigilance and (others). And many other similar tests, I'm sure others are more knowledgeable.

How cool would it be to do some research on meditation's effects on these tests? How cool would it be to (gulp) compare one form of meditation to another? I'm wondering if these would be able to tease out subtle differences among more advanced practitioners (I suspect these would be pretty easy for advanced practitioners to max these out.), but I think this could be really interesting for beginners or so. One might see a measurable improvement and the value of meditation.

I tried to get the PEBL to install so I could run the TOAV, but no luck so far...
Sy Mian, modified 10 Years ago at 6/10/13 2:18 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/10/13 2:18 PM

RE: Tests of attention

There is a good website that allows you to test many aspects of cognitive function. Also can test the effects of coffee, sleep, piracetam, etc. Some preliminary data shows that a short meditation does impact response and accuracy to a stroop test.

Quantified-Mind.com

Breadcrumb