Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years

Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Vic Douglas 4/13/13 12:52 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years fivebells . 4/13/13 1:14 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Vic Douglas 4/13/13 6:23 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years A. Dietrich Ringle 4/13/13 7:06 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years _ ladyfrog _ 4/13/13 7:33 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years fivebells . 4/14/13 12:15 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years A. Dietrich Ringle 4/13/13 1:36 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years A. Dietrich Ringle 4/13/13 1:39 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Simon T. 4/13/13 8:06 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Jigme Sengye 4/13/13 8:25 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Roger that 4/13/13 10:00 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Jigme Sengye 4/13/13 11:40 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Vic Douglas 4/14/13 8:37 AM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Change A. 4/14/13 10:32 AM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Sweet Nothing 6/22/13 2:16 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Vic Douglas 4/16/13 12:19 AM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years fivebells . 4/16/13 7:44 AM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years bill of the wandering mind 6/21/13 7:03 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Jigme Sengye 6/22/13 9:51 AM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years bill of the wandering mind 6/22/13 11:28 AM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Bruno Loff 6/24/13 11:07 AM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Vic Douglas 11/16/13 3:43 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Jigme Sengye 11/16/13 11:22 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Vic Douglas 11/17/13 12:01 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Bruno Loff 11/18/13 8:39 AM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Vic Douglas 11/18/13 2:26 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Bruno Loff 11/19/13 12:42 AM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Pantheon Parthenon 6/25/13 9:08 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Superkatze one 6/26/13 12:57 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Pantheon Parthenon 6/26/13 4:02 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Vic Douglas 11/16/13 3:32 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Vic Douglas 11/18/13 2:29 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Neil Huizinga 11/27/13 5:39 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years M N 11/17/13 12:39 AM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years Vic Douglas 11/17/13 12:00 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years a person 11/20/13 12:12 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years marvelous light 3/2/14 5:12 PM
RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years marvelous light 3/2/14 5:17 PM
Vic Douglas, modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 12:52 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 12:51 PM

Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years

Hi,

I am a 38 year old asian male. I have done six 10 day and one 20 day vipassana course S.N Goenka sytle. I got into tantric sex practice 4 years back and did tantric practice with my wife for 2 years. I must have overdone the tantric practice. After that all hell broke loose. I started feeling very trouble some sensations in my head , had unexplained fatigued and other other symptoms for the past 2 years.

I have been celibate for the past 2 years and have abstained from tantric practice at all. But my problem now is when i sit to do vipassana i feel something rising to my head and if i meditate for more than 30 mins my head is heavy and I feel such overwhelming sensations in my body that I totally become functionless. I just sit there and I feel so heavy in my head and body that I cannot work or take care of my family obligations. I have tried a multiple times to do vipassana and everytime the same result.

The problem is i so want to meditate as if my body is demanding it. But when I mediate I end up worse than before. For the most part there are uncomfortable sensations in my head.

I have done blood tests and brain MRI and everything came normal. When I break celibacy I have massive headaches hence I am practicing celibacy. These could be kundalini symptoms and maybe my crown chakra is active, but I want a way out. I am really suffering here. Can someone help. I try to maintain equanimity but it is really overwhelming.

Has someone gone through this and is there a way out ?
thumbnail
fivebells , modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 1:14 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 1:14 PM

RE: Can't practice vipassana, headaches and heavy head for 2 years

If vipassana is triggering overwhelming sensations, don't do it. Try switching to some kind of concentration practice instead, and come back to the vipassana when your attention is more stable. When you're ready to go back to vipassana, always precede it with a period of concentration-based meditation to stabilize attention.

Also, do shorter, more frequent sessions if sessions longer than 30 min cause you problems even after you change to a concentration practice.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 1:36 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 1:36 PM

Vic Douglas:
Hi,

I am a 38 year old asian male. I have done six 10 day and one 20 day vipassana course S.N Goenka sytle. I got into tantric sex practice 4 years back and did tantric practice with my wife for 2 years. I must have overdone the tantric practice. After that all hell broke loose. I started feeling very trouble some sensations in my head , had unexplained fatigued and other other symptoms for the past 2 years.

I have been celibate for the past 2 years and have abstained from tantric practice at all. But my problem now is when i sit to do vipassana i feel something rising to my head and if i meditate for more than 30 mins my head is heavy and I feel such overwhelming sensations in my body that I totally become functionless. I just sit there and I feel so heavy in my head and body that I cannot work or take care of my family obligations. I have tried a multiple times to do vipassana and everytime the same result.

The problem is i so want to meditate as if my body is demanding it. But when I mediate I end up worse than before. For the most part there are uncomfortable sensations in my head.

I have done blood tests and brain MRI and everything came normal. When I break celibacy I have massive headaches hence I am practicing celibacy. These could be kundalini symptoms and maybe my crown chakra is active, but I want a way out. I am really suffering here. Can someone help. I try to maintain equanimity but it is really overwhelming.

Hey Vic,

I understand how you are feeling. I have been going through similar things right now, except for me the pressure is in my bowls. The best thing to do is to stay calm, no matter how desperate things may seem. Just keep having faith in your practice even though you may be feeling you are losing yourself. When you make decisions don't doubt yourself or hesitate, just do it and forget the rest. Don't box yourself in with unnecessary rules or worries about people or things. Just do your best to stay balanced.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 1:39 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 1:39 PM

Vic Douglas:
Hi,

Also I highly recommend not trying to "meditate your way out of this." From my experience this usually just ends with "myself struggling with myself." Just let things ride.
Vic Douglas, modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 6:23 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 6:22 PM

The problem is the moment i try to go introverted, focus on breath (anapana) or vipassana i feel something is going to my head. If I persist with vipassana or concentration excercise of anapana, these sensations become very pronounced especially on my crown chakra and third eye. That's alright but when I get back to life after meditation my day becomes a living hell. I am so scared to do vipassana. I was a ardent vipassana guy and was did it regularly and faithfully and life was so good. Then this sexual tantra came in and my life has been on a downward spiral every since. I just don't know what to do.

Losing vipassana was like losing a big anchor. The calmness and steadiness i felt after a session or just an place where I could go and take refuge is lost. I feel so lost. I had a feeling that there would be a lot of people like me but it seems that there are not many as I have gone through hundreds of kundalini posts as well as vipasssana posts in various forums.

Would anyone know of a good kundalini teacher who has vipassana experience too? A guide at this stage would be of immense help

And I agree that "meditating my way out of it" does not work at all.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 7:06 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 6:57 PM

Vic Douglas:
The problem is the moment i try to go introverted, focus on breath (anapana) or vipassana i feel something is going to my head.
If I persist with vipassana or concentration excercise of anapana, these sensations become very pronounced especially on my crown chakra and third eye. That's alright but when I get back to life after meditation my day becomes a living hell. I am so scared to do vipassana. I was a ardent vipassana guy and was did it regularly and faithfully and life was so good. Then this sexual tantra came in and my life has been on a downward spiral every since. I just don't know what to do.

Losing vipassana was like losing a big anchor. The calmness and steadiness i felt after a session or just an place where I could go and take refuge is lost. I feel so lost. I had a feeling that there would be a lot of people like me but it seems that there are not many as I have gone through hundreds of kundalini posts as well as vipasssana posts in various forums.

Would anyone know of a good kundalini teacher who has vipassana experience too? A guide at this stage would be of immense help

And I agree that "meditating my way out of it" does not work at all.

For me the following is a big signpost for me:

"The problem is the moment i try to go introverted, focus on breath (anapana) or vipassana i feel something is going to my head."

I recommend stopping this approach. Instead find pleasant sensations and focus on those.

Send me a PM if there is more I can help you with.

Fifth edit: you can do it! Just try to relax and enjoy the present moment. I would need more phenomenological information before I recommended anything further.
_ ladyfrog _, modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 7:33 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 7:33 PM

Hi Vic,

I have not had the head issue be so debilitating off the cushion, I have had a problem with strong painful pressure, repetitive "popping" sensations that were quite scary, etc. in my head. Enough to cause me to stop meditating, stop doing concentration practice etc. It seemed to be whatever i did that involved directed attention would cause this, be it insight or concentration. This became an issue for me after I had a spontaneous kundalini awakening (was not doing tantric pracitces or energy practices, just vipassana). The first 6 months of that process did affect me all the time in other intense ways, but the head thing seemed to be mostly when sitting.

The advice i got from vipassana teachers on retreat in general is that it was probably from concentration, and to stop. Which was not what i wanted either (2 years later i still have the palpable energy, although its friendly now, and it does feel almost mandatory for me to sit).

Eventually I did get some advice about my head pain/discomfort that helped from Thanissaro Bhikku. If you are around Southern California you might consider checking in with him at his monastery. He teaches some meditation techniques based on his teacher's instructions that sound very much like taoist energy practices to me, although from what I can see people who don't have palpable energy can benefit from them just as ways to focus on body sensation and breath. Anyway part of the practice is seeing/feeling/visualizing the breath coming in through one part of the body and flowing through various channels to exit another (i am probably doing a disservice in my summary so if you are not familiar with his extensive teachings to be found online you should!) . For me he recommended visualizing the breath coming into the area causing me distress (the head) and moving out in all directions past the physical boundaries of my skull. And to do this to diffuse the discomfort as much as necessary. I still feel buildup and activity there, but i can dissipate it and then move back to what i am doing (insight, concentration, whatever).

At the time when i did have crazy intense 3rd eye pain/pressure i got advice and a simple movement practice that really helped guide the energy away from that spot from a qigong teacher. This was pretty early on when things were very intense in terms of gross sensations of movement internally. You might look for someone who teaches qigong at a retreat center etc. who therefore has experience with helping meditators, or another high level teacher of qigong. At least for me, my experience of the energetic phenomena seemed to map more closely to taoist descriptions vs. yogic ones.

I did not find a kundalini teacher per se (i talked to one guy who had a lot to say about "the goddess" and devotional manifestations of energy which didn't really fit for me).

In general i have found not much support for kundalini related issues in the insight meditation communities as it seems to be an issue for only a fraction of people in the scene including teachers (it felt really alienating for a while). I can say Shinzen Young is very well versed in working with all sorts of strong experiences too, although he helped me mostly with mediation support when navigating the strongest experiences vs. dissipating energetic phenomena.

Good luck!
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 8:06 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 8:06 PM

How do you feel in everyday life? Can you feel something around your lower-back/tailbone? Can you get the brain tension to pulse? How is your memory and cognitive functions? When you say it's hard to function, what you mean by that?
Jigme Sengye, modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 8:25 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 8:14 PM

I had the same problem for about half a year in 2007. I can't tell if I got it from doing Vajrasattva practice badly or from doing the style of anapana meditation that they teach at Goenka retreats, which is known to cause headaches for some people. It may have been from the combination of both, since after a while, both practices would trigger the problem. I had a very good qigong doctor in China fix the problem with some very expensive herbs.

A good qigong doctor should be able to fix this. I don't mean someone who is only or primarily an acupuncturist. If you're near Toronto, you may want to try Dr. Chu Chow. I have two friends who have been treated by him and recommended him highly. See http://www.canadachikung.com/about.html

Failing that, find a reputable teacher of Zhineng Qigong, which is a widely practiced medical qigong system that can clear essentially any blockage. If you learn it and practice it yourself for some time, it should clear the problem, assuming the teacher can't clear it themselves. I'm hesitant to recommend other forms of qigong, as there are some horrible qigong teachers out there that teach things that can make a person's health worse. There are also some very decent systems, some of which have medical applications, some of which are more martial or otherwise specialized and have more to do with kung fu or esoteric Daoist goals than clearing blockages. It's not easy to judge if it's good system or well taught. One decent test of a qigong practitioner with healing abilities is that they can feel or see the blockages in your system from not too far away.

If you do decide to learn Zhineng Qigong, it's best to find someone who isn't more than one teacher removed from the system's founder, Dr. Pang Ming. I've practiced it in the past, but don't do it anymore, since I prefer to focus on Mahasi-style vipassana.
Roger that, modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 10:00 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 10:00 PM

Hello sir,

In regards to the kundalini issue you may want to contact the owner of Buddha Brats.
He claims to have completed the kundalini process within a Dzogchen context. Perhaps he can help you.

One of the things that sticks out to me in your post is the practice of tantric sex, tantric sex if practiced unconscientiously is said to be "extremely dangerous". In fact before one is even allowed to engage in tantric practice in general, it is said that one is supposed to receive an initiation from a qualified master. Moreover I believe one is supposed to keep the tantric precepts flawlessly, as well as complete a variety of preliminary practices before one can even engage in karmamudra.

Actually the whole book is right here: Six Yogas of Naropa

The relevant quote can be found at the bottom of the page here:

Karma Mudra

And the other quote in regards to initiation can be found here:

Special Preparations

Did you feel that you met these requirements? If you did not, you may want to ask at the Dharma Wheel forum and see what reparations can be made in regards to breaking tantric vows.

If, however, this is not the case, then it may just be a case of: "practicing sexual intercourse in the name of a religious purpose", which may fall under religious fraudery. In which case, a confession, and realization that this is the case, and a re-taking of the precepts may be the best course of action for you.

Note: Celibacy is not required for Buddhist practitioners. Only abstention from sexual misconduct.
Jigme Sengye, modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 11:40 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/13 11:39 PM

When you say tantric sex practice, what do you mean exactly? I take it that you don't mean the karmamudra practice from a tsa lung system like the six yogas of Naropa or something similar from a formal Vajrayana sect where you and your wife both got empowerments, and learned the techniques from a teacher, etc., or some similar tantric Shaivite system, but rather a neo-tantra practice learned from a book involving visualization, breath control and energy circulation between the partners, but no empowerment from an accomplished master of the practice? I'm just curious. If so, then there's no secrecy vow about describing the practice. I'm curious if you could either very briefly describe it or point to what source you learned it from so people can avoid doing that sort of practice.

Having personally experienced how scary this sort of situation can be, I hope your situation encourages people not to mix energy practices or learn them without a highly qualified teacher.

I also hope that you're able to find someone who is a highly qualified energy healer who can fix this problem in person. If you can't find anyone and the doctor I suggested in Toronto can't help, I can suggest others. If all else fails, let me know and I'll send you the contact info for the doctor I saw in China, who can cut through any energetic problem imaginable, but it might be very expensive.
Vic Douglas, modified 10 Years ago at 4/14/13 8:37 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/14/13 8:37 AM

Yes by tantric practice I mean the neo tantra practice. I learnt it from books and I must have read 25 books on this subject. It basically involved having slow sex an stopping before orgasm and then starting again. I did not do visualization or passed energy between partners because when I tried it, it seemed useless and did nothing.

Yes it is very dangerous to do tantric practices if you have a strong footing in vipassana. It is dangerous to mix vipassana with tantric practice too. From what I understand is that the kundalini gets stirred and it starts to tear through your system. Once stirred there is no way to go back. All the joy and mirth of life is lost. In such situations the advice is to stay away from all practices which helps a bit but doesn't fully help.

I was under the impression that anyone seriously involved in spiritual practice would be involved in tantra too and it seems that spiritually inclined people might want to explore this sexual tantra area, But it seems that's not the case. It seems I am the only one who was involved in both.

But I want to clarify that I never mixed vipassana with tantra. When I was doing tantra I did not do vipassana. Now after leaving tantra when i try to get back to vipassana I can't.

I can't have sex because it just amplifies the symptoms, hence I have to be celibate. But being celibate and not doing vipassana causes lot of sexual tension to get stored and since there is no outlet that leads to more again energy trying to go to the head and sensations in head. But this state is better what i feel after having sex. I am stuck bad. Every which way I am screwed.

Tantric sexual practice should come with warning. But it seems that in others it does not cause problems because they have not had their some degree of purification by vipassana as I did . I think tantric practices can be dangerous for people who are moderately advanced in vipassana.
Change A, modified 10 Years ago at 4/14/13 10:32 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/14/13 10:32 AM

If you haven't tried it yet, you may try yoga postures for throat chakra and see if that allows the energy to flow from the head towards the heart.
thumbnail
fivebells , modified 10 Years ago at 4/14/13 12:15 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/14/13 12:15 PM

I second _ladyfrog_'s advice about Thanissaro's practice. It is actually anapanasati. I assume the anapana practice you are referring to is the one taught on Goenka retreats. This is a very limited version, which does not reflect key instructions/descriptions in the anapanasati sutta, particularly the description of first jhana:

"He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to rapture.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to rapture.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to pleasure.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to pleasure.'

Thanissaro goes into extensive detail regarding these instructions in his book Right Mindfulness, chapter 6. He argues that the sixteen steps in the anapanasati sutta are not intended as linear step-by-step instructions, but as different tools to be picked up depending on what is arising in the meditation.

...the sixteen steps
don’t necessarily follow a straight linear sequence. Instead, each tetrad can serve
as an object of focus simultaneously with any of the other tetrads. As you
practice breath meditation, you can remain focused on the second, third, or
fourth tetrad while continuing to remain focused on the breath.

For example, there are times when you find it most helpful to focus on how
the breath is giving rise to feelings of rapture and pleasure; to the way these
feelings (as mental fabrications, along with the perceptions you’re employing
around the breath) are influencing the mind; and to how you can calm that
influence. This would be an example of focusing on the second tetrad while
simultaneously remaining focused on the first. At other times, you’ll find it more
useful to see which ways the mind is in or out of balance—too sluggish, for
instance, or too scattered—and then use the breath to bring it more into balance.
This would be an example of focusing on the third tetrad while still focused on
the first. And at other times, you will want to observe how you can develop the
dispassion that will enable you to let go of any external preoccupations that
threaten to pull you away from the breath. This would turn attention to the
fourth tetrad while staying focused on the first.

Though I think you would also benefit from consulting an experienced energy practitioner, it can't do you any harm to try meditating a few times with this shifted emphasis, and you may find it pays big dividends. I had a similar problem last year, and the approach Thanissaro is pointing to helped me a lot. There's more practical advice about how to meditate this way in his essay Using Meditation to Deal with Pain, Illness & Death.
Vic Douglas, modified 10 Years ago at 4/16/13 12:19 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/16/13 12:19 AM

I just want to take time and thank fivebells, A D R, ladyfrog , Jigme Singye and Roger that for taking the time to provide their esteemed advice to me.
thumbnail
fivebells , modified 10 Years ago at 4/16/13 7:44 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/16/13 7:44 AM

Keep in touch; let us know how it works out.
thumbnail
bill of the wandering mind, modified 10 Years ago at 6/21/13 7:03 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/21/13 7:03 PM

This is interesting - I have the same exact issues with overwhelming head sensations with directed attention, although it seems to be easier some days than others. I am going to try a few things but I would be interested also in details from anyone else's experience.
Jigme Sengye, modified 10 Years ago at 6/22/13 9:51 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/22/13 9:51 AM

bill of the wandering mind:
This is interesting - I have the same exact issues with overwhelming head sensations with directed attention, although it seems to be easier some days than others. I am going to try a few things but I would be interested also in details from anyone else's experience.

What practices have you done?
thumbnail
bill of the wandering mind, modified 10 Years ago at 6/22/13 11:28 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/22/13 11:28 AM

general open awareness, breath following for a few years and noting, mahasi and folk for a few years total with a year of metta thrown in.. Generally I am a very 'energetic' person - sometimes metta is too strong for me, like the lovingkindness explodes and fills the room (which is probably unintended A&P) - right now I do choiceless noting, some concentration and I think I will try out Thanissaro's idea above since it is becoming clear to me that I have some kind of blockage in the neck - sometimes if I touch certain spots on the neck there is an immediate emotional response. I will play around with it and see.
thumbnail
Sweet Nothing, modified 10 Years ago at 6/22/13 2:16 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/22/13 2:16 PM

Dear Vic,

It seems you've learnt the hard way that one should never indulge in tantric, especially sexual tantric practices just by reading books or manuals, which are generally written by under qualified authors. This also extends further to other systems of Yoga such as Kriya. These systems are extremely sensitive and indulging in them without proper initiations and guidance is like playing with fire.

What Asian country are you based in ? I recommend that you have an audience with either :
1) Senior Vipassana teachers of the Goenka/Body Scanning lineage
2) Guru's specializing in Tantra (will have to look for them in India)
3) Tantric Ashrams in India

I feel they are the best people to guide you and help get your life back together. In my opinion, you've indulged in two conflicting processes which has messed up your energy systems/chakras. If nothing else, visit Isha Yoga Centre in India and try to get an audience with Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev. He seems like a brilliant master with complete understanding of Yoga/Tantra, but he's one of the really popular ones and might be hard to get to.

I think you'll have to spend some time re-balancing your inner systems.
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 10 Years ago at 6/24/13 11:07 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/24/13 11:07 AM

I wouldn't buy the whole "you really need a teacher" thing. Depending on any single teacher seems to be sub-optimal, as any individual teacher probably knows less than you about some things, more about other things, and most often knows little about your specific problem. I recommend you get information from many sources, and then decide what to do.

Here the take of this particular source, based (1) on my own experience and (2) on the experience of one of my teachers. Energy is going up, but it's not going down. You should focus on opening the downward flow. This is accomplished by working on foundation. Downward-flowing energy feels receptive (let's say "yin"), whereas upward-flowing energy feels erm... expressive, active ("yang"). Focus on the former quality.

(1) All you need is love grounding.

Grounding is developed by working on foundation. Physical stuff: exercise, strength, good food, good sleep. Work with your legs. Focus on your legs and lower abdomen. Do the three amigos of rooting.

I.e., I expect that you won't have a headache after running and sweating for an hour, focusing on your body.

(2) My teacher had the same problem --- recurring, severe and painful headaches brought about by meditation. He told me he solved it by learning to detect and promote downward flow of energy.

An exercise we did in class for this was the following: (after warming up) we raise our arms above our heads, and we focus on the downward flow of blood from hands to arms to chest. We let the blood in and focus and remember and nourish that downward flowing quality. Then we lower our arms, and feel the blood flowing back (again down) into the hands, feel the difference.

He told me that he was able to cure his headaches by applying the same relaxed, downward flowing quality from his head down to his body down to his toes.

Good luck
thumbnail
Pantheon Parthenon, modified 10 Years ago at 6/25/13 9:08 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/25/13 9:00 PM

Hi there Vic Douglas,
If what you are experiencing is indeed kundalini then
I would suggest you do some simple visualizations to bring the energy upwards and through the crown
I have been working with the kundalini for 5 years now and i can't help but want to help you with this
endeavor because the way out is so simple. Keep in mind that we are all different and are at levels in our
spiritual growth. With that said, I will suggest that you learn to silent the mind. Once you have
achieved a relatively still mind. Imagine the energy going up from your coccyx upwards and through the
top of your head and out and upwards, then imagine the energy circling around like so

At first it will feel strange but eventually the heaviness of your head will subside and replaced with
other "feelings" (better than headaches)
From my understanding when there is a high amount of energy building upward without anywhere to go
headaches seems to come to say, "Hey! lead me elsewhere!" ;)

Please give it a try and give it a few days to see if your condition improves.

From what I understand is that the kundalini gets stirred and it starts to tear through your system. Once stirred there is no way to go back. All the joy and mirth of life is lost. In such situations the advice is to stay away from all practices which helps a bit but doesn't fully help.

Well this isn't quite true, the experience really depends on the individual as each and everyone will have a different kundalini
experience but the most important thing is to not believe in the negative aspects of kundalini and there is a higher
chance that it will not manifest. Many people that go through this process are so fearful that they attract the experience
like a self fulfilling prophecy.

My only wish is that you go through this in peace and do more research along with meditation.
As for a "teacher" it would be nice but there are so many fakes/charlatans that it could hold you back or make it worse.
Try this first because from what I can sense, I can tell that you are a strong willed individual that is just missing some vital
information.

Blessings,
Pantheon
thumbnail
Superkatze one, modified 10 Years ago at 6/26/13 12:57 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/26/13 12:57 PM

Pantheon Parthenon:
...Imagine the energy going up from your coccyx upwards and through the
top of your head and out and upwards, then imagine the energy circling around like so...

This seems to be the opposite of what the arrows on your image show. According to the image you would have to imagine the energy flowing into the crown and then downwards through the arms/ legs and then out and then back again.
thumbnail
Pantheon Parthenon, modified 10 Years ago at 6/26/13 4:02 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/26/13 4:02 PM

Superkatze one:
Pantheon Parthenon:
top of your head and out and upwards, then imagine the energy circling around like so...

This seems to be the opposite of what the arrows on your image show. According to the image you would have to imagine the energy flowing into the crown and then downwards through the arms/ legs and then out and then back again.

Yeah do not follow the arrows because it will build up more energy, I was unable to find one that was attempt to cycle the energy around. So thank you Katze for that

So let me attempt it again, Imagine the energy flowing from the coccyx upward and through the top of your head and going around like a toroidal field. Maybe this will clarify. I was so eager to help that I did not even pay enough attention to the arrows

Vic Douglas, modified 10 Years ago at 11/16/13 3:32 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/16/13 3:32 PM

Pantheon Parthenon:
Superkatze one:
Pantheon Parthenon:

Yeah do not follow the arrows because it will build up more energy, I was unable to find one that was attempt to cycle the energy around. So thank you Katze for that

So let me attempt it again, Imagine the energy flowing from the coccyx upward and through the top of your head and going around like a toroidal field. Maybe this will clarify. I was so eager to help that I did not even pay enough attention to the arrows

Hi Pantheon,

I have tried this technique but it seems to increase my headaches...I guess I need to do something to bring the energy down but whatever I do seems to have an opposite effect and does not bring the energy down..
Vic Douglas, modified 10 Years ago at 11/16/13 3:43 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/16/13 3:43 PM

Bruno Loff:
I wouldn't buy the whole "you really need a teacher" thing. Depending on any single teacher seems to be sub-optimal, as any individual teacher probably knows less than you about some things, more about other things, and most often knows little about your specific problem. I recommend you get information from many sources, and then decide what to do.

Here the take of this particular source, based (1) on my own experience and (2) on the experience of one of my teachers. Energy is going up, but it's not going down. You should focus on opening the downward flow. This is accomplished by working on foundation. Downward-flowing energy feels receptive (let's say "yin"), whereas upward-flowing energy feels erm... expressive, active ("yang"). Focus on the former quality.

Grounding is developed by working on foundation. Physical stuff: exercise, strength, good food, good sleep. Work with your legs. Focus on your legs and lower abdomen. Do the three amigos of rooting.

I.e., I expect that you won't have a headache after running and sweating for an hour, focusing on your body.

(2) My teacher had the same problem --- recurring, severe and painful headaches brought about by meditation. He told me he solved it by learning to detect and promote downward flow of energy.

An exercise we did in class for this was the following: (after warming up) we raise our arms above our heads, and we focus on the downward flow of blood from hands to arms to chest. We let the blood in and focus and remember and nourish that downward flowing quality. Then we lower our arms, and feel the blood flowing back (again down) into the hands, feel the difference.

He told me that he was able to cure his headaches by applying the same relaxed, downward flowing quality from his head down to his body down to his toes.

Good luck

Hi Bruno,

I have tried grounding but grounding does not work. I have tried keeping myself busy in household work and that does not work. It seems the kundalini energy has a mind of its own and its always trying to go up. Whenever I sit for vipassana, I don't focus on sensations and equanimity. If I focus on sensations, something seems to be going up and there are these bad pressure sensations on the head. I just think something or let my mind go through thoughts on its own. That seems to bring some relief and I feed good for few hours. But then eventually I end up with headaches after a few hours. It seems that the energy just concentrates on the head. If I don't sit and do my meditation(thought meditation) I feel miserable and so out of place.

I have read hundreds of books and followed all the forums in aypsite.org. I used to be so happy and then this tantric sex came in and everything went upside down. I have given up tantric sex for the past 4 years. I practice brahmacharya and have normal. sex like once every month or two month. I feel very drainded when I have normal sex too. I have done brain MRI and other tests and nothing has come up. If I eat food too I start feeling all these sensations on the head

I am in a bad place. Any help would be welcome...
Jigme Sengye, modified 10 Years ago at 11/16/13 11:22 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/16/13 11:21 PM

Have you looked into visiting the qigong doctor in Toronto that I recommended?
M N, modified 10 Years ago at 11/17/13 12:39 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/17/13 12:39 AM

Maybe this will help

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/4174251

If it doesn't,have you tried to ask in the AYP forum?
Vic Douglas, modified 10 Years ago at 11/17/13 12:00 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/17/13 12:00 PM

Hi Mario,

I've been at AYP site for years now. All they talk about is "grounding' i.e. keeping yourself involved in physical activites outside of spiritual practices. It works a bit but does not really help....
Vic Douglas, modified 10 Years ago at 11/17/13 12:01 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/17/13 12:01 PM

Jigme Sengye:
Have you looked into visiting the qigong doctor in Toronto that I recommended?

Hi Jigme,

I did try to contact him. But the receptionist said that the doctor will have to see me first and that the doctor does not do telephonic consultations.

Did u have a similar problem ? If so what did he advise ?
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 10 Years ago at 11/18/13 8:39 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/18/13 8:39 AM

Vic Douglas:
Bruno Loff:

Good luck

Hi Bruno,

I have tried grounding but grounding does not work.

Please be more specific: which grounding practice did you try, for how long, how intensely? What happened when you tried it?

Vic Douglas:
I have tried keeping myself busy in household work and that does not work.

Hmm well, I have successfully used manual labor to calm myself down during those times, but I would say that wasn't the main key in getting me to ground.

Vic Douglas:
It seems the kundalini energy has a mind of its own and its always trying to go up.

Hmm, do you enjoy the rush of kundalini going up?

Vic Douglas:
Whenever I sit for vipassana, I don't focus on sensations and equanimity. If I focus on sensations, something seems to be going up and there are these bad pressure sensations on the head. I just think something or let my mind go through thoughts on its own. That seems to bring some relief and I feed good for few hours. But then eventually I end up with headaches after a few hours. It seems that the energy just concentrates on the head. If I don't sit and do my meditation(thought meditation) I feel miserable and so out of place.

Again, to my understanding this is because of a blockage in downward flow. My kundalini stopped going wild when I started wanting to ground and relax more than doing any exciting activities. This grounded me a little, and eventually my frontal torso opened up energetically (just a little), allowing for downward flow, and then my headaches stopped.

Vic Douglas:

I have read hundreds of books and followed all the forums in aypsite.org. I used to be so happy and then this tantric sex came in and everything went upside down. I have given up tantric sex for the past 4 years. I practice brahmacharya and have normal. sex like once every month or two month. I feel very drainded when I have normal sex too. I have done brain MRI and other tests and nothing has come up. If I eat food too I start feeling all these sensations on the head

I am in a bad place. Any help would be welcome...

We can try to help, but unless you actually try to do the stuff we suggest, there's not much point.

Things to try (better do everything rather than just pick one):
- For two to four weeks, do cardio or strength training every day for 40-60m. In fact it's better to alternate, one day cardio, one day strength; eventually two-three times a week should be OK, but it's good to do every day at first, to really see the difference. Work with the legs a lot (running is better than rowing, squats is better than push-ups, etc).
- Do the three amigos of rooting every day in the morning and before bed.
- Diet is important. Try a paleo diet and see if things improve.
- Instead of doing vipassana, meditate on tranquility; focus on being really peaceful and serene.
Vic Douglas, modified 10 Years ago at 11/18/13 2:26 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/18/13 2:26 PM

Hi Bruno,

I am interested in the exercise that your teacher did. Can that exercise be explained in greater detail.Also I wanted to know your view on the exercise that has been mentioned by Pantheon Parthenon in the post below.

The difference between the two approaches is that your teacher's exercise was bringing the energy down while his exercise is taking the energy up from base to the crown and then out and then back into the body from the feet.

I have tried Both these exercises separately 2 years back for 10 -15 days for 2-5 minutes each day and they have magnified my symptoms. But I am thinking this time it might be different.

I have tried the other options mentioned by you. I do exercise but no regularly. I tried paleo diet for a month 2 years back but that diet is very difficult to sustain in the long run. The three amigos is something I will like to try later.
Vic Douglas, modified 10 Years ago at 11/18/13 2:29 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/18/13 2:29 PM

Hi Parthenon ,

In some approaches the remedy for headaches has been put forwad as one where the energy is brought down from the crown chakra to the feet. What do you think of this approach vs. the one where the energy in brought to the crown chakra from the base and let out and then back in from the feet. Would'nt this approach increase the headaches....
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 10 Years ago at 11/19/13 12:42 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/19/13 12:42 AM

Next time you have a headache, could you try go running (or better, the elliptical machine) for 1h, trying to focus on your legs, and see if it makes it go away? If that works, then you have something to resort to when things go bad, and you might find yourself more motivated to exercise in the first place.

The goal of the exercise I did in Chi Kung class was to learn to promote downward flow of chi. We would warm up as usual (we had some special routine for this, which basically amounts to 10-15m of any decent exercise set), and then we would start.

While standing in horse stance, with back straight and unlocked knees, we would really slowly lift our arms over our head, while noticing in full detail the changes that this causes to the flow of blood, which now can be more easily felt flowing down into the torso. Then slowly we move our arms back down, while feeling the changes in the blood flow again.

Then we do the same with the head and torso. Slowly we bend over, feeling the blood flowing down into the head. Then slowly we straighten ourselves back up, feeling the blood flowing down out of the head. I think that an important aspect of the exercise is that we don't "make" the blood flow anywhere, instead we "let it" flow down while paying attention.

What my teacher told me at the time was that he cured his headaches by learning to let the energy flow down. It is not clear to me how feeling the blood flowing down is supposed to help with feeling the energy going down, but when energy goes down, for me, there is a "letting it happen" quality, as opposed to "making it happen" quality characteristic of upward flowing energy.
a person, modified 10 Years ago at 11/20/13 12:12 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/20/13 12:08 PM

Hey I'm really sorry dude emoticon I know what you mean by "living hell" in regards to debilitating headaches, they can create all sorts of horrible emotions..sometimes they're so overwhelming for me that I feel like I'm drowning, or being suffocated. Very often, I experience a lot of shame whenever I feel debilitated by a headache.

I started getting headaches after I started having my first mystical experiences a few years ago. I have no idea what causes them...what are your headaches like? Are they painful, or "pressure" oriented, or both, or neither?

My advice:

First: have some hope, will ya? And don't be ashamed about this! emoticon

Second: exercise! I get the feeling that, like many (if not most) people, you center yourself in your head, so naturally you're focusing on these headaches all day long. Meditation for you is probably a really mental, head-oriented exercise, so I would look into physical activities as a "way out".

Third: If you're in a relaxed, peaceful environment (or whatever environment you feel comfortable in honestly), try this exercise. Stop running from your headaches. When one comes up, let all of the sensations that come with it happen (even if some of those seem awful, such as confusion). But NOT with a mindset of "Okay, I'm going to let this headache do its thing, and then it will go away. Why isn't it gone? Oh god, why isn't it gone yet?! This is just making things worse!!!". Just surrender to your headaches. Let them have their way with you...that sounds horrifying, right? But I swear, man, this is all in your head, and if you can stop taking this problem so damned seriously, you'll watch it evaporate in the blink of an eye. And it might come back later, but that experience of seeing if evaporate is extremely valuable. So when you get a headache, lie down in a calm environment, and just let it run its course. EASIER SAID THAN DONE, i know. But, this has been helping me lately. I do this with a lot of negative emotions. If I feel "out of it", I let myself feel that way...if I feel angry, I let myself feel that way too...if I'm anxious, I let it happen.

Fourth: talk to your friends about these problems. Don't be ashamed. Be totally open about your symptoms! Just do it dude, unless they're TRULY heartless bastards you have nothing to lose.

Fifth: I think some thoughts are contributing to these headaches, SUCH AS the idea that breaking celibacy is causing them. I doubt that it is...I think you just think that, and are experiencing "confirmation bias" (or some other fallacy). But if you don't feel comfortable thinking that way (it's fine if you don't!) then just focus on the points I brought up above.
Neil Huizinga, modified 10 Years ago at 11/27/13 5:39 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/27/13 5:39 PM

Hi Vic.

Reading what you have said here is exactly the same type of thing I have, and have had for about 8 years now. Sorry if that discourages you at all.

I am really screwed up ever since I left the centre back then... not ALL the time but it is an overall theme. What I surmise is that I pushed myself too hard and was pretty much serving at the centre full time and taking my own courses as well. I forced myself to do anapana and not allow anything to interfere. My mind went supra-concentrated and I could not fell anything at all and everything eventually went black within me and all I was at that time was the in and out breath.

It was a huge mistake... I see that now. It shook me up so bad initially and by initially I mean for about 3 months. Now I feel the same thingd you describe. Super heavy face and head and that rising energy and subsequent pressure. I'm not sure othets here really get the gravity of it. Its debilitating enough that like you I have devoted all my effort for years to figure something out, move through it, allow it, just try and live with it, exercise, everything I could think of.

Some of the suggestions here about seeking someone with vast knowledge and experience on the subject does give me a little hope thiughemoticon

Some insights I have about it are that it definitely has to do with control - that is what that area of the head is all about... and I also think emotion is involved, as in deep traumatic sancaras if you will. It rises up more from the gut with me and that is a very emotion-based area. I try to stuff the feelings/emotions back down but they will have NONE of that. So in full-blown cases, my stomach is queezy, my chest tight and my head and face area is extremely uncomfortable and "solidified".

I have been working with way better now than in years past and for me the missing element was emotion. I seemed to almost forget they even existed after being at the centre so long because emotions are never acute sensations and thus got tossed to the side so to speak. I was only interested in acute physical sensations as when you scan the body.

I have come to realize that somewhat unbenounced to me, I was suppressing my emotions (that were trying to rise up) essentially I was trying to control them and thus the head aches. I have done it for so long now that its hard to even allow the emotions to flow... and I feel hollow without them. I'm working with them now but these emotions are very raw and complex, and the acute physical sensations in the stomach feel rotten, churning, and awful... hence the desire to supress and control them.

Anyways I hope some of that helps. I really feel for you because I know what your experiencing.

Oh and I had always done tantric sex I guess but I never even knew that until I read your description and realized I just always had sex that way naturally. It may have triggered something in you as it really depletes the chi energy.

Take care Vic and let me know your thought... who knows we might be able to help each other.
marvelous light, modified 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 5:12 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 5:12 PM

I feel that you have been enslaved by demons, that is my long time experience with demons, hinduism, kundalini, vipassana, even shrines of dead muslim saints !!! I need JESUS CHRIST to help me and everybody else has failed, so I would suggest come to JESUS !!! He has all the cures !!! Find some successful DELIVERANCE minister in your area !!!
marvelous light, modified 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 5:17 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 5:17 PM

find newindian@hotmail.co.uk on facebook, message me, add me friend !!!

Breadcrumb