what is the technique that works for your lifestyle?

thumbnail
Dark Night Yogi, modified 14 Years ago at 4/11/10 4:24 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/11/10 4:24 AM

what is the technique that works for your lifestyle?

what is good for everyday life? (& not trying to attain stream entry)

I just got off my 2nd goenka retreat. I understand the technique better now and in terms of relieving suffering, i'd say goenka style is good.
I like the way it finds out where exactly are your 'tough hardened areas', like 1) the back of my head is hard to feel, and this area is the part that hardens when
im in a panic or fear situation. or 2)my throat is hard to feel. This is the part that hardens when Im too eager to talk/dont listen/feel defensive/have a foul mouth.
so, maybe working on those areas more would specifically deal with those life issues or 'sankharas'.

im going to put a quota on my formal on-cushion time, at least 40 minutes Am & Pm.

right now, thinking of continuing with anapana/body scanning/metta

any advice greatly appreciated,
thanks!
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 4/16/10 2:16 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/16/10 2:16 AM

RE: what is the technique that works for your lifestyle?

While I understand you don't want to try to attain stream entry, in terms of what helps your life, stream entry really helps, so attain to stream entry, seriously, using Goenka methods or whatever works.
thumbnail
Yadid dee, modified 13 Years ago at 4/22/10 6:33 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/22/10 6:33 AM

Mitch, I thought you had already attained Second Path?
thumbnail
Dark Night Yogi, modified 13 Years ago at 5/15/10 5:42 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/15/10 5:37 AM

Hello. sorry for the delayed reply

Yadid & Daniel: Yup. I'm at 2nd path. Sorry for not clarifying my post. What i meant was, I'm not trying to attain it because i already have.

There are a couple of powerful practices that are helping me right now:

Chod - A tibetan practice (torrent title: "Cutting thru Fear") - For dealing with Stuff. It's about 'offering' yourself either to a conjured entity within you or an actual person. I find it easier and more directly useful than tonglen or metta

Inner Dance - a healing trance dance (www.innerdance.multiply.com) - I like inner dance coz its a 'processless process'. Its spontaneous and fun, unlike Yoga / Tai Chi where you need to memorize the postures. You can make it a work-out in itself if you have lots of energy, or very gently if you have little. Goes well with meditation'. Though i think you need someone to teach you directly and can't learn it on your own

Breadcrumb