Just checking if I understand it right

Noah 42, modified 13 Years ago at 4/14/10 3:49 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/14/10 3:49 PM

Just checking if I understand it right

Hi everybody,

Daniel recognized the description of my first reatreat as an A&P event, and so inevitably dark night must have followed.
Today I've been reading on the progress of insight and several things from Dissolution, Fear, Misery and Disgust sound familiar. I'd like to check a few things on the progress to see if I understood them correctly.

-The A&P event is said to be a point of no return. So there's no chance of falling back to stages 1,2 or 3?

- The first full completion of a cycle (1 to 16) is the point of stream entry, right? So if one is talking about cycling through the stages of insight, they mean the progressing through one of many (?) full cycles of progress (1 - 16) ?

- I also see talk of cycling through the dark night. Does this mean that I can fall back and forth between the dhuka nanas (including 4, the A&P?) Or do they cycle, like experiencing 4 through 10 in that order until you get equanimity?

- Progress is alway chronological. Like, there's no jumping from fear to disgust without passing through misery. Is that right?

Thanks beforehand for helping me out.
If anyone has tips or advise on getting familiar with the different stage, or the transition between them, it's dearly appreciated.

Cheers

Noah
thumbnail
Florian, modified 13 Years ago at 4/14/10 4:19 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/14/10 4:19 PM

RE: Just checking if I understand it right

Hi Noah,

Bas Bemelmans:
-The A&P event is said to be a point of no return. So there's no chance of falling back to stages 1,2 or 3?

It's more like the A&P event does something irreversible. You'll still go through the earlier ñanas with each sit, going up until you hit your "cutting edge". That cutting edge can fall back if you don't practice, or practice less. Think of it like cooking an egg. Once it's been in boiling water for a while (A&P), while it can still cool down again, it will not become a raw egg again.

Bas Bemelmans:
- The first full completion of a cycle (1 to 16) is the point of stream entry, right? So if one is talking about cycling through the stages of insight, they mean the progressing through one of many (?) full cycles of progress (1 - 16) ?

That's how I understand it, too, more or less, though I think the "review" cycles will jump over some of the ones between 11 and 15. This is just theory for me, btw.

Bas Bemelman:
- I also see talk of cycling through the dark night. Does this mean that I can fall back and forth between the dhuka nanas (including 4, the A&P?) Or do they cycle, like experiencing 4 through 10 in that order until you get equanimity?

1-11, actually. But they can start to flash by very quickly.

Bas Bemelman:
- Progress is alway chronological. Like, there's no jumping from fear to disgust without passing through misery. Is that right?

Again, a ñana can pass by quickly, or you can stay with it. The ones you mentioned tend to be "unstable".

Cheers,
Florian
Noah 42, modified 13 Years ago at 4/14/10 4:30 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/14/10 4:30 PM

RE: Just checking if I understand it right

Hi Florian,

Thanks alot for your quick repsons.
That clears it up.

Cheers

Breadcrumb