I wonder if I'm already happy?

This Good Self, modified 10 Years ago at 6/13/13 2:39 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/13/13 2:36 AM

I wonder if I'm already happy?

Sometimes the whole notion of working towards a personal goal can be very counter-productive. The harder you work to achieve something, the more it eludes you. Happiness can work this way, and meditation also.

Today I remembered an old technique.

"I wonder if I might already be happy? Is happiness already there? Possible or not?"

Posed as a question, it has a gentle vibe which won't jar your conscious mind, allowing it access to the subconscious. "I wonder....?" The conscious mind should acquiesce to such a wondering and not fight against it. Use a gentle voice. Muse very lightly on it.

The idea of happiness already existing (just as a mere possibility) allows the mind to stop searching. Searching and striving for happiness is a powerful cause of unhappiness.

Should take no more than a few minutes to get a good effect, and can be used for any personal trait.
thumbnail
bernd the broter, modified 10 Years ago at 6/13/13 3:59 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/13/13 3:59 AM

RE: I wonder if I'm already happy?

C C C:

Should take no more than a few minutes to get a good effect, and can be used for any personal trait.

I don't get this part. What do you mean? How could this be applied to anything specific?
This Good Self, modified 10 Years ago at 6/13/13 5:44 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/13/13 5:33 AM

Confidence, motivation, calmness, enlightenment ...

I had a few other thoughts to add.

Working (and diligent striving in particular) implies lack.

So if I work hard to be happy, my subconscious gets the message that I must not be happy now. The subconscious wins (as always) and the mood drops. The harder I work, the more I send the message that I really must be very unhappy.

If I gently stop the work, the subconscious gets the message that my mood must not be a problem. The subconscious wins and my mood lifts. The work to stop the work needs to be gentle otherwise it can become work in itself.

Everyone knows that you can't attain enlightenment. We are enlightened now, only our constant work keeps us in a state of unreality and suffering. It takes enormous energy to maintain an ego. You stop the work and the energy is released.
This Good Self, modified 10 Years ago at 6/13/13 9:28 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/13/13 9:28 PM

Another way to apply this approach:

1) State the intended or desired outcome, (eg, I want peace), and then...
2) Decide very firmly not to apply any mental work towards its accomplishment.

Behaviours can still be ok. If my intention is peace, then I might turn the TV down a bit. But I will resolve to not do any mental/internal work towards achieving the peace I desire.

The internal voice might say the following: "I strongly desire and intend peace for myself, but I am completely surrendering any attempt to make it happen. I will not lift a finger to make it happen".

When you resolve not to chase things, they chase you. Meditative states can flow from this.

Strong and clear intention matched with a surrendering of personal drive and will.
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 10 Years ago at 6/15/13 2:20 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/15/13 2:20 AM

C C C:
Sometimes the whole notion of working towards a personal goal can be very counter-productive. The harder you work to achieve something, the more it eludes you. Happiness can work this way, . . .

Today I remembered an old technique.

"I wonder if I might already be happy? Is happiness already there? Possible or not?"

Posed as a question, it has a gentle vibe which won't jar your conscious mind, allowing it access to the subconscious.

Working (and diligent striving in particular) implies lack.

So if I work hard to be happy, my subconscious gets the message that I must not be happy now.

If I gently stop the work, the subconscious gets the message that my mood must not be a problem.

Another way to apply this approach:

1) State the intended or desired outcome, (eg, I want peace), and then...
2) Decide very firmly not to apply any mental work towards its accomplishment.

If my intention is peace, then I might turn the TV down a bit. But I will resolve to not do any mental/internal work towards achieving the peace I desire.

Strong and clear intention matched with a surrendering of personal drive and will.

C C C,

If you have to go through that much machinations in order to feel/be content, then you haven't arrived yet. You're still on the road.

But I commend you that you are endeavoring to (verbally) figure this out. It at least shows that you're paying attention to the movements of the mind. Something not to be undervalued in the process.

Hint: Once you are able to internalize the realization of anatta, you won't have to do all this work to be content. You will just realize one day, "I am content." Without any concern (but perhaps a bit of surprise and gratitude) for how it occurred. You will be there without having to think about it.

Be at peace,
Ian
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 10 Years ago at 6/15/13 11:27 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/15/13 11:27 AM

Ian:
(...) paying attention to the movements of the mind. Something not to be undervalued in the process.
+1 It is challenging, but consistently worth the effort.

Breadcrumb