getting the most out of a forum like this

This Good Self, modified 14 Years ago at 4/18/10 10:34 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/18/10 10:34 PM

getting the most out of a forum like this

I've used two other website forums, both of which were totally unrelated to spirituality.

Most forums have so many posts and so many differing views it's so easy easy to feel lost.

My experiences on other forums have taught me a few things, and I'm not sure if they apply here but they might:

1. The feeling you get in your body when you read someone's post is a good indicator of the worth of their post to you.
2. Verbosity is sometimes an indicator of someone who is lost in intellectual pusuits.
3. Sometimes the "best ever" posts come from guys who very rarely post at all ('lurkers'). Sometimes those who never post but just read, are sitting there smiling and enjoying the ride more than anyone who does post.... and you wish they would post!!!
4. Being a well-liked or popular poster is generally a pretty good sign of someone who might be able to help you.
5. Being a despised poster, hated by everyone, can also sometimes be a sign of someone who has a few brilliant points mixed in amongst a lot of personal stuff, which blurs the picture for those who get riled by such personalities.

Sometimes.... emoticon

Your thoughts?
J Adam G, modified 14 Years ago at 4/19/10 11:02 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/19/10 11:02 AM

RE: getting the most out of a forum like this

Cool points! I like the bodily feeling one.

My two cents:

If you see a post bearing advice that you start reading and start really wanting to skip, then you might really really need to stop and read that post carefully. Just like MCTB, some posts by people here can be extremely information dense, and skimming over the words will not give you even a quarter of the benefit that might come from looking at something that hits a sensitive nerve.

On the subject of informational density, and the verbosity you mentioned, posts from very experienced people often tend to have a quiet and simple authority that cuts through crap and bleedthrough and says, "Here's the solution," using few words. Such posts absolutely must be read several times and the advice should be tried out. If it works well, it should probably be saved in a file somewhere to mitigate the risk of forgetting the advice. "Sayings from wise ones.txt" anyone?
This Good Self, modified 14 Years ago at 4/20/10 8:48 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/20/10 8:48 PM

Hi Adam. I will probably be able to make my way through the information-dense posts when I know the lingo a bit better. I agree that on occasion the bits we don't want to read are the bits we need most. That's what happened when I started reading some Tolle. The feeling that turns me off a bit is when I there's no warmth or human-ness in his writings. Some of it has me thinking: "where's the love??". Same when I watch his youTube videos....I actually wonder if he is happy. Is he??

Information density must surely be necessary to convey an understanding of very subtle subjective experiences. But reading the AF threads and some others, I come away with my head buzzing and wonder if people are sometimes indulging in intellectualism for the sake of it. I really can't tell because I don't have enough experience.
J Adam G, modified 14 Years ago at 4/20/10 11:26 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/20/10 11:26 PM

I've never read Tolle. I had just thought that he was another new age writer in the same vein as The Secret or Wayne Dyer. Is he talking about real realization that has nothing to do with content, and talking about it in a frank and non-mushroomy way? I'd be interested in looking into it if he's talking about development like MCTB or nondual realization-type stuff like Kenneth Folk.

Sometimes people do get caught in intellectual discussions that don't bear much fruit off the computer chair and on the cushion or out chopping wood and carrying water. I certainly have done that. However, a few brief tastes of Misery and Disgust have decreased my interest in making/reading huge long posts, because they emphasized to me that it's the cushion time that actually works on the suffering. In fact, the longer I stay in the dark night, the more unacceptable it seems to be without stream entry.

BTW, the dark night will make your head buzz too, just in a more literal fashion. So there's no way to escape that part of the path! ;)
Pavel _, modified 13 Years ago at 4/22/10 6:21 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/22/10 6:21 AM

I've never read Tolle. I had just thought that he was another new age writer in the same vein as The Secret or Wayne Dyer. Is he talking about real realization that has nothing to do with content, and talking about it in a frank and non-mushroomy way? I'd be interested in looking into it if he's talking about development like MCTB or nondual realization-type stuff like Kenneth Folk.

Tolle has it hard mainly because of his popularity, I am guessing that that would be the reason for his reputation as just another new age writer. He is talking about realization removed from content but not removed from everyday life, interestingly enough he doesnt explicitly give any advice or pointers, he has a more advaita flavoured approach, which can be very irritating/appear flowery and useless to someone who is looking for an a-z manual to awakening. With people like him it's always more of a matter of explaining how things are from his angle rather than how to get to where he is speaking from, which can be useful too in my opinion. I am aware that teachers of his kind are often criticized by the more hardcore community for not teaching that only will-fuelled practice gets you where you want to go, but given that he teaches people to stay present (ie. keep awareness on your moment-to-moment experience), I do not see a huge divide between him and other traditions (in terms of the goal of the practice, if not at all in the means).

I guess that it depends on whether you want to take advantage of the entire spiritual marketplace, with the very real risk of getting lost, or whether you simply want to follow one tested tradition and disregard all else.
This Good Self, modified 13 Years ago at 4/25/10 9:03 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/25/10 9:03 PM

One thing I do really like about Tolle's latest book is his treatment of the way the ego co-opts every situation it can, in order to bolster itself.

eg. people who give to charity so that their self talk can say: "wow, look at me giving to charity, I'm better than those who are selfish and don't give. I can't believe how little that person gives". All the action of giving has achieved with that attitude is strengthening of the egoic mind. We all know that giving with out the underlying 'spirit of giving' is hollow.

eg. people who shave their heads, wear orange robes and speak in a specially affected "spiritual voice" (you know the one, deep and slow and oh-so affected). Not because they find it useful to the development of their spiritual lives, but because it allows their inner dialogue to say: "Look at those people who are concerned with their clothing and hairstyles. They are not really spiritual like I am! I have renounced all that, and I am much more dedicated than them. They speak so fast, yet I am unhurried." Again, ego.

and so on.... Many examples of this. Tolle does a very good job of exploring the way the ego likes to dress itself up as something else.

Breadcrumb