Two Questions on Intention and Metta

thumbnail
PP, modified 10 Years ago at 6/25/13 8:34 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/25/13 8:34 AM

Two Questions on Intention and Metta

- Should intentions be noted as thoughts? That is, non-verbal decisions such as changing the focus of attention. E.g. that decisions may be triggered by pleasantness/un-pleasantness. I notice a lot of these intentions while sitting.

- Is Metta part of Consciousness? You can have metta sensations, metta feeling-tones, metta-emotions and metta-thoughts. But many yogis describe a deep sense of gratitude after obtaining paths. Is Metta only a fabrication of the mind, like Jhanas, or something to be unveiled as an ultimate feature of Consciousness/Void/Tao/Whatever?
thumbnail
fivebells , modified 10 Years ago at 6/25/13 10:45 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/25/13 10:45 AM

RE: Two Questions on Intention and Metta

Yes, it is important to note intentions. Stable attention is really only possible if you maintain appropriate intention.

Yes, Metta is a fabrication. However, it is one the mind naturally inclines to after first path, when the malleability of fabrications is understood, and Metta is seen as a pleasant and useful state of mind. I think this may be the reason it's presented as intrinsic to undefiled consciousness in Mahayana (at least the Tibetan Karma Kagyu Mahayana which I learned.)
thumbnail
PP, modified 10 Years ago at 6/25/13 3:59 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 6/25/13 3:59 PM

RE: Two Questions on Intention and Metta

Great short answers Fivebells! Thank you very much.