Information overload- where to even start?

Terry H'sain Bollea, modified 10 Years ago at 7/4/13 12:27 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/4/13 12:26 PM

Information overload- where to even start?

I've read most of MCTB and a lot of stuff here and on Buddhist Geeks and elsewhere online and frankly I'm in a state of information overload. So many different kinds of practice talked about when I think at this stage it might be best to just pick something simple and stick to it. I've mostly been doing simple focusing on the breath and trying to improve my concentration.

Could someone help point me in the right direction? What kind of practice (or practices) should I do to get started? What do you wish you knew when you were just starting out? I think I've been spending way too much time reading and confusing myself and not enough time practicing. I have a lot of free time and am really interested in exploring this so any advice is really appreciated.
Adam , modified 10 Years ago at 7/4/13 1:59 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/4/13 1:59 PM

RE: Information overload- where to even start? (Answer)

What do you wish you knew when you were just starting out?

I wish I understood the importance of just being persistent with cultivation of awareness rather than constantly trying to analyze and interpret everything. Paying attention to the breath is good though it won't "only" bring temporary calmness as is sometimes suggested in MCTB (depending on the way you do it perhaps). If you can develop a strong observation of what you experience in terms of thoughts emotions intentions and sensations and keep it as continuous as possible in formal and non-formal settings you should make fine progress. You will become less attached to these things as you take up the position of just 'knowing' them. I see developing this knowingness that isn't attached to or worried about what it knows to be the essence of transcending suffering. Sometimes what is required is a technique like breath watching or noting to develop this awareness, sometimes all you have to do is notice that you are already aware.

just one persons opinion
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 7/4/13 5:16 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/4/13 5:14 PM

RE: Information overload- where to even start? (Answer)

[quote=Terry H'sain Bollea]I've read most of MCTB and a lot of stuff here and on Buddhist Geeks and elsewhere online and frankly I'm in a state of information overload. So many different kinds of practice talked about when I think at this stage it might be best to just pick something simple and stick to it. I've mostly been doing simple focusing on the breath and trying to improve my concentration.

Could someone help point me in the right direction? What kind of practice (or practices) should I do to get started? What do you wish you knew when you were just starting out? I think I've been spending way too much time reading and confusing myself and not enough time practicing. I have a lot of free time and am really interested in exploring this so any advice is really appreciated.

If basic and simple is what you wish to do, and begin to develop a strong base to leap from, then try Mahasi sayadaw's basic techniques to begin on the road to insight.

http://www.buddhanet.net/m_part1.htm

Mahasi Sayadaw's labeling/noting technique is more or less the most popular and progressive (at least towards 1st path as talked of here and mahasi circles) put into use here at the DhO.

On the following page you will find a link to some simple instructions from Daniel Ingram as well, to get the ball rolling in the desired direction.

http://integrateddaniel.info/book/

This is a simple and yet very progressive first step.

Nick
Terry H'sain Bollea, modified 10 Years ago at 7/5/13 10:49 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/5/13 10:49 AM

RE: Information overload- where to even start?

Thanks so much guys. That's very helpful.

Breadcrumb