Question about relaxed diaphragm during seated postures

thumbnail
Songtsan Crazyfox-Tiger Ali, modified 10 Years ago at 7/12/13 9:47 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/12/13 9:47 PM

Question about relaxed diaphragm during seated postures

When I sit, I try to relax my stomach wall, and diaphragm. This results in me having Buddha belly. Also what it does is cause my breathing to become rather shallow, and unforced. I know that since I am not moving and I am becoming very relaxed, I don't need as much oxygen, so this is fine by me. What I also notice though is that if I try to do Vipassana style breath meditation there isn't much to focus on, as there eventually exists little movement. Air circulation becomes soft and hard to sense..I can sit there for a long time apparently not breathing. Yet if I use breath as an object, what then? I have left the breath for a while because of this. I now focus on dantien/MCO..but I would still like to incorporate breath, yet I don't like to maintain a fabricated breathing system. I experience some cognitive dissonance because of this, and my focus falters. Any advice?
Change A, modified 10 Years ago at 7/13/13 9:22 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/13/13 9:22 AM

RE: Question about relaxed diaphragm during seated postures

Songtsan Crazyfox-Tiger Ali:
I experience some cognitive dissonance because of this, and my focus falters. Any advice?

What causes cognitive dissonance?
thumbnail
Songtsan Crazyfox-Tiger Ali, modified 10 Years ago at 7/13/13 5:28 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/13/13 5:28 PM

RE: Question about relaxed diaphragm during seated postures

well, I should state that I am not at this time trying to combine MCO with Vipassana.

What causes the dissonance is that my abdomen is really 'pooched out' and thus seems to create tension that restricts the diaphragm from being allowed to move fully. I am a little attached to letting as much of my musculature relax as possible, but I am wondering if I should just go ahead and self-regulate the diaphragm and some of my inner abs to allow more space to move. I simply like not having to pay so much attention to muscle holding patterns, so that I can spend more focus-energy on my meditation object. I suppose that if I kept it up, it would probably become second nature and I wouldnt have to spend any attention on holding the musculature right. I am thinking that I should just do this...

Breadcrumb