DhO Migration, Epsilon servers, and related tech updates

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 7/24/13 2:23 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/24/13 2:23 AM

DhO Migration, Epsilon servers, and related tech updates

The DhO is now running on the Epsilon server option on Omegabit, which means we have our own dedicated OS with 2 cores and database and can do some things we couldn't before regarding protection against aggressive crawls and attacks and the like. This does cost me an additional $130/month or so (was about $50/month, now about $180/month), but I think it will be worth it.

Performance should be better, as more server resources are dedicated to the DhO now.

A guy named Manish Yadav in Mumbai has decided to be the 5th person to take on the attempt at migrating us from Liferay 5.2.2 to 6.1. I wish him luck: he will need it. My budget for this is $2000. We will see how that goes.

There may be occasional downtimes as this happens. I will let you know if and when they will likely occur if I know myself.

I hope all this goes smoothly, but in all honesty would be amazed if it did.

I put these numbers out there just to give straightforward financial disclosure of how this place works. I don't want any donations of any money or anything like that, as I am happy to support this place and consider it one of my little contributions to make this a better world.

If you notice anything strange, let me know.

Daniel

Owner, Administrator, Patron, and Scut-monkey of the DhO
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 10 Years ago at 7/24/13 6:38 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/24/13 6:38 AM

RE: DhO Migration, Epsilon servers, and related tech updates

Bananas and good branches.

(thank you)
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 10 Years ago at 7/25/13 5:28 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/25/13 5:28 PM

Ah, so it must be the combination of software and server changes that is slowing down the speed on dial-up connections, as I am still experiencing problems with loading the site.

It now takes between 20 and 25 minutes just to load a page when I log on.

Don't know that there is anything that you can really do to help this, though. (I'm using a high speed connection at a local library to make this post. I don't come here that often, and it would be more convenient to be able to do this at home. So, until something meaningful occurs in relation to download speeds, I probably won't be able to post here that often.)
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 7/25/13 5:31 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/25/13 5:31 PM

I will send this question off to Chris Stavros of Omegabit, as we are now paying for some really strong servers and they should be lightening fast. I personally am having no problems and the thing is quite responsive, but that doesn't solve your issue, and your input is valuable here, so I will see what I can do about this.

Daniel
Derek, modified 10 Years ago at 7/25/13 8:41 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/25/13 8:41 PM

Pages load very fast for me. That's with a cable connection, 25 Mbps download speed according to http://www.speedtest.net
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 10 Years ago at 7/25/13 11:07 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/25/13 11:07 PM

More feedback.

The original post to this thread was made on the 24th (yesterday). I wasn't able to see this post until today, when I was able to log on from the library's high speed connection. I didn't try logging in yesterday, so don't know if there was any change on that day.

Fast forward to the present moment: I just hit the reply button to see how fast it would load the Add Message screen, and it seemed to load at the normal speed for what I've become use to with a dial-up before all the changes were made, so perhaps there is some progress being made.

Too bad there hasn't been more corroboration from someone else who accessed the DhO from a dial-up connection.

Maybe it's just the normal aches and pains that any system goes through when making a change! The bottlenecks get smoothed over over time as things get worked out.

Another present moment bulletin: I just hit the preview button to see how quickly a preview of the reply might come up, and it seems back to normal speed for my connection. I suppose time will tell.
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 10 Years ago at 7/26/13 10:16 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/26/13 10:16 PM

Further update!

Well, all good things, I suppose, must come to an end (anicca raising its ugly head again). Soon after I posted the "More feedback" post, I attempted to access a few more threads and was treated to varying results. I tried looking at two more threads and was able have them load on my screen relatively quickly. I thought: "Oh, good. Maybe things are back to normal."

I spoke too soon!

The next two threads I tried to look at took 20 to 25 minutes to load. This was last night. This morning, still experiencing long wait times to access pages on the DhO. So, I have experienced anything but a consistent result.

Tried to get the Add Message page to open for me this afternoon but no go. It wouldn't even process the signal when I pressed on the reply button. Tried copying the link location and pasting it into the browser, but that didn't work either.

For some reason I was able to get on tonight in order to post this reply. Have no idea how or why it allowed me on.

Breadcrumb