Robin Woods, modified 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 6:06 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 6:06 AM

RE: Are you Buddhists here?

Are you James there?
James Yen, modified 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 8:31 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 8:31 AM

Hi,

I just made an account to say, that that's not me.

I'm also insulted that you would automatically think that anyone who makes a few troll-like posts is automatically me, contrary to popular belief, I am actually not a troll. And I'm probably the happiest guy on this forum (I have a normal social life, and a good relationship with my family), meanwhile I'm reminded of the salient fact that literally all of you nutjobs are constantly complaining about your mood swings ("dark nights") and whatever pseudo-spiritual BS you always go through, probably avoiding the fact that just getting a girlfriend will make you happier.

Anyways that's my rant for today.

Like I said I'll probably be banned instantly by Nikolai as usual and my post will be deleted, either that or it won't be and he'll just post a smartass reply and ban me before I can say anything.

In peace,

James
Robin Woods, modified 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 9:44 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 9:44 AM

James Yen:
Hi,

I'm also insulted that you would automatically think that anyone who makes a few troll-like posts is automatically me, contrary to popular belief, I am actually not a troll. And I'm probably the happiest guy on this forum (I have a normal social life, and a good relationship with my family), meanwhile I'm reminded of the salient fact that literally all of you nutjobs are constantly complaining about your mood swings ("dark nights") and whatever pseudo-spiritual BS you always go through, probably avoiding the fact that just getting a girlfriend will make you happier.

Like I said I'll probably be banned instantly by Nikolai as usual and my post will be deleted, either that or it won't be and he'll just post a smartass reply and ban me before I can say anything.

In peace,

James

Haha - sorry James! This actually made me 'lol' my ass off. Especially the 'girlfriend' bit.
thumbnail
The Who, modified 10 Years ago at 7/28/13 3:35 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/28/13 3:35 AM

James Yen:
I'm also insulted that you would automatically think that anyone who makes a few troll-like posts

Thanks. It was my genuine question of interest as my first post here.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 7/29/13 4:27 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/29/13 4:27 AM

RE: Are you Buddhists here? (Answer)

There is a mix here, some Buddhists from a wide range of traditions, some people who do Buddhist or Buddhist-influenced practices but don't think of themselves at Buddhists, and some from totally different traditions who don't do Buddhist practices but still practice in some way, and some who are interested in other related topics, such as magick and the powers, mental health topics, other strange side effects of meditation, yoga, and all sorts of other stuff.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 10 Years ago at 7/29/13 8:34 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/29/13 8:34 AM

RE: Are you Buddhist?

hey,
i'm not a buddhist..anymore. i'm also not a catholic, anymore. nor am i identifying with any tradition directly any longer. this is not a slight or rejection of any of the fundamental truths of any tradition but i've grown past some of the things that make them "religions" or "traditions" etc.

by the way, Gotama was not a buddhist.
thumbnail
Sweet Nothing, modified 10 Years ago at 7/29/13 9:46 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/29/13 9:46 AM

RE: Are you Buddhist?

Technically speaking, Siddharta Gautama never taught religion.

In fact, In the time when Buddhism was born, there was no such thing as religion. In the Indian Subcontinent, Spirituality was regarded very highly and there was a general consensus on Dharma, ie the Law of nature. Different people from different regions were devoted to different gods/goddesses and had slightly varying beliefs but it was all connected through a basic underlying system, ethics and philosophy of what is today known as Hinduism.

Buddhism and Hinduism are two religions that are essentially not religions. They became so after real Religions were born. In those days Buddhism was perhaps regarded as the noble eight fold path of Lord Buddha (regarded by Hindus as Lord Vishnu's 9th Reincarnation on Earth).

So AFTER new religions came into being, such as Christianity and Islam which have exclusive belief systems and do not integrate so well with each other, Buddhists and Hindus were separated as Buddhists and Hindus.

I do not like to think in terms of "What I consider myself/yourself" because ultimately we're humans and the same laws apply to us regardless of what we call ourselves.

I was born a Hindu but I dont consider myself belonging to any organized religion. I am only understanding and learning Dharma (the law of nature).
James Yen, modified 10 Years ago at 9/11/13 1:38 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/11/13 1:38 AM

Robin Woods:
James Yen:
Hi,

In peace,

James

Haha - sorry James! This actually made me 'lol' my ass off. Especially the 'girlfriend' bit.

I don't understand why you're laughing. It's your life. You're the one not getting laid, not getting out of a bad job situation, or not working on a valid job skill, or following some inane sport on TV, or listening to shitty music.

You're the one who believes that you can sit on a cushion and reach the "end of suffering" and a happiness that is independent of conditions.

Which is false by the way, it's a fallacy, happiness is conditioned.

Yet despite all this you continue to label me as a troll, but who is really trolling who? Who are you really kidding dude?

Also, fuck you.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 9/11/13 2:47 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/11/13 2:47 AM

James Yen:

You're the one who believes that you can sit on a cushion and reach the "end of suffering" and a happiness that is independent of conditions.

Yet despite all this you continue to label me as a troll, but who is really trolling who? Who are you really kidding dude?

Also, fuck you.

Alright, you have a good point, in that happiness as a quality of mind is conditioned, but the happiness that comes from certain processes having stopped is not conditioned, though how to explain that is complicated.

A not too bad analogy would be that it feels so good when you stop beating your head against a wall. Similarly, it feels really nice when the mind is not habitually ignoring things and mentally doing all sorts of work to create a sense of a separate, continuous, split-off, controlling, observing self, and, instead, phenomena are all just doing their own thing where they are, with the complex, semi-illusory knot of self-creating delusion not happening anymore.

That said, James Yen, the overwhelming, pervasive, time-tested opinion is that despite whatever dharma points you might make that have some merit, you troll mightily and have been trolling for a long time. It had felt so good when you had stopped. It is not that all conversations here are perfect, or that all posters are perfect, but you are an outlier in that regard.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 10 Years ago at 9/11/13 12:11 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/11/13 12:11 PM

James Yen:
I don't understand why you're laughing. It's your life. You're the one not getting laid, not getting out of a bad job situation, or not working on a valid job skill, or following some inane sport on TV, or listening to shitty music.

Also, fuck you.

This was pretty hilarious, either because it contains a grain of truth or because it contains a grain of joke.

Daniel M. Ingram:
That said, James Yen, the overwhelming, pervasive, time-tested opinion is that despite whatever dharma points you might make that have some merit, you troll mightily and have been trolling for a long time. It had felt so good when you had stopped. It is not that all conversations here are perfect, or that all posters are perfect, but you are an outlier in that regard.

A +1 to this as well. A very amusing way to communicate your point.

Breadcrumb