Do you meditate?

thumbnail
The Who, modified 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 1:19 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 1:18 AM

Do you meditate?

Ramesh Balsekar had to say:

meditation
...some body-mind organisms are not programmed to meditate so there is no question of right or wrong about meditating; not a must but if it happens it is good;...

Maybe I'm not wired. I am on jnana yoga I guess.
thumbnail
Jake , modified 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 7:10 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 7:10 PM

RE: Do you meditate?

Could be. 'meditate' can mean lots of different things. For a long time I conducted an inquiry into the nature of life and experience that was completely informal. I did it whenever I felt like it. It gained momentum. At some point it made sense to dedicate time specifically to that inquiry, and to minimize other activities at those times to try to home in on it. I think of formal sitting practice as a sacred laboratory, so to speak. It's just a way to strip out other complexities to be able to go deeper in a simpler setting. But the inquiry and stability of attention are the same muscles to work whether we do so sitting still and quiet or during daily life. If the fruits of a sitting practice only show up when you are sitting, that's really silly. So ultimately I would say that general attentiveness and inquiry during all activities in a natural way is the best. Just, most folks don't seem to experience lasting transformation without some formal practice too.
Mark Spencer, modified 10 Years ago at 8/20/13 12:42 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/20/13 12:42 PM

I personally have found some benefit to seated meditation, but that's my own experience. I have also found benefit from various physical endeavors and sports which have helped me make progress either through using them to examine myself and reality, or simply building concentration. I've found benefit in my job as well, and in school where I think there is something to be gained from hard work in general. I guess it all depends how you use these things and how you view them. I know some people who don't meditate but make progress in insight from 12 step programs or charity work too. I don't think practice has to be limited to sitting on the cushion, although many of us have made great progress on the cushion.
thumbnail
Sweet Nothing, modified 10 Years ago at 8/20/13 2:52 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/20/13 2:52 PM

I agree. Most people are not programmed to seriously meditate no matter how convinced they are that awakening is possible. Some people are simply happy in ignorance or in devotion to god/religion/philosophical beliefs. Even if they do meditation it will likely be some guided meditation for relaxation and not an exploration of the self. If it wasn't so, enlightened people would be a lot easier to come by and there would be a lot less suffering in the world.

However, you do have the ability to make a choice right now. Just ask yourself what's keeping you from doing it.

I've not tried anything other form of self exploration or any other kind of meditation, but the experiences and changes I've had with insight meditation have been the most profound and lasting. At this point I feel this is the only thing in human life that is really worth doing.
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 10 Years ago at 8/20/13 4:02 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/20/13 4:02 PM

...some body-mind organisms are not programmed to meditate so there is no question of right or wrong about meditating; not a must but if it happens it is good;...

Maybe I'm not wired. I am on jnana yoga I guess

This is rediculous. If you wanna cop out that's fine, but say "I'm coppting out of meditation". Don't say, "well guys.. guess I wasn't made for this meditation stuff."

ALL of us have monkey mind when we first start.

I'm gonna go full-glory mode and tell you that meditation owns yoga. It's not even close, it's like Usain bolt looking backwards during the race as he is in his own league.

peace/love

Breadcrumb